: Where can I buy a new EGR valve at a good price?

clay
02-03-04, 11:01 PM
Is the local dealer my only option? Or is there someplace that has genuine GM EGR valves for my '95 SLS that sells them cheaper?

Thanks,

-Clay

zonie77
02-03-04, 11:17 PM
gmpartsdirect.com

There are more but that one's been mentioned recently so I remember it.

BeelzeBob
02-04-04, 12:15 AM
Is the local dealer my only option? Or is there someplace that has genuine GM EGR valves for my '95 SLS that sells them cheaper?

Thanks,

-Clay
Why do you think that you need a new one?? The EGR valves on the Northstar are pretty robust and rarely fail. Have you cleaned the shaft of the valve inside the passage in the base? Usually all that is required is to remove the valve and clean the valve as the deposits on the shaft inside the passage will cause it to stick and set the EGR pintle position code. Just clean it being carefull to keep solvent from running into the can and ruining the windings in there.

clay
02-04-04, 08:24 AM
Well, I got the valve off, though I started getting very uncomfortable with just how much pressure I had to put on the fuel lines to get them out of the way for me to get a socket on the shared bolt. I used a screw driver to lever the plate away with my other hand. And this is after unseating 7 of the injectors. Am I missing some other item that could be loosened up?

In looking at the valve, there is a lot of black residue throughout and it sticks very tightly in the closed position. I really need to push it hard in order to open it back up after it springs shut. I cleaned it, but am not happy with the results and am leaning towards purchasing a new one, since it is already off and it is such a pain to get to this point. The car only has 50k, but it was all short trips in the city, so I'm guessing I have more carbon build up than normal due to this.

Thanks for the help...is there another bolt to loosen to make this easier to go back in?

Thanks,

-Clay

growe3
02-04-04, 10:04 PM
I cleaned the EGR valve on my 93 STS (with 135,000 miles on it) put it back on, and have no problems since, 25,000 miles ago.

I used a spray brake cleaner to do the cleaning. It is not as harsh a cleaner as most carburetor spray cleaners, and does not leave a residue. I do not think there is any real need to worry about hurting the windings with this type of cleaner, but do try to avoid getting any excess getting into the "can".

-George

little tx
02-05-04, 07:04 PM
well as a woman i had to take my 1995 seville 113,000 miles to the dealer to check the EGR cause my service engine light came on and the codes read the code for the EGR. i got it out today $341.75 was the cost to get it fixed. i have no choice but to take it to the dealer. so if you ever haft to take it in to the dealer thats the cost to replace one at least here in texas..bbobynski helped me out a lot and he knows what hes talking about.