: 95 TPS replace

95stsrider
06-26-06, 12:53 PM
when i replaced my TPS on my 95 sts i dont think i set it to the right position. the reason i belive this is because now my car wont shift into 4th gear. i have no clue what to do. im going back out side to try and adjust the TPS again to see it that works. any help at all would be good. thanks LA

JimLucky
06-26-06, 04:43 PM
Thats an indication of a bad conection to the sensor because with the TPS
disconected your trans wont go in overdrive/4th but the car will run.

Make sure no pins are bent or broke on the new TPS.

Inspect the TPS wiring harnes for a broken wire.

95stsrider
06-26-06, 09:52 PM
ok tis 10.30 and i just went out and checked the connector and the TPS and there are no bent pins or wires broke that i can see. is it possible for the connector to actually go bad? is there a way that ican just ohm out the wires to checkif they are broken? thanks LA

JimLucky
06-27-06, 06:33 PM
Somthing sounds fishy:bigroll: to me about the new TPS unless you had this prob with
the old TPS.I would remove the new TPS before tracking down wires and put the old one back in and check your gears or just take the new one back and tell them it may be defective and make sure they didnt give me the wrong TPS and instal
the new one and chech your gears.

If you dont have 4th/overdrive its time to start ohm it out for an open circuit.

The reason I am saying this is the trans uses a refrence signal from the TPS not a throttle cable like most trans
do.

95stsrider
06-27-06, 06:55 PM
i was thinking the same thing about the new one being bad. the only problem is i threw the old one away :bang2: so i guess i will just take this one back and try another one. ill let you know the outcome. thanks LA

95stsrider
06-30-06, 08:38 PM
OK so i went and got a new TPS and it still says i have a code p022, and the "service engine" light is on. if you are standing on the driver side looking at the intake you will see 2 pulleys on the throttle body. when ever i pull the battery loose and reconnect it as soon as the key is turned on you can see and hear this pulley moving. it sounds like a popping noise on plastic as if the pulley shaft is not catching on the TPS. any help at this point would be good. thanks LA

95stsrider
07-01-06, 05:13 PM
bump...any ideas

parts68
07-01-06, 09:21 PM
If you have a multi meter you can check the tps voltage.
At idle it should be under .80 volts.
At WOT it will be 5volts.
It sounds like your speed control is acting up.
Cheapest place Ive found is autozone at under $60.
GM wants $160 for same.
Have you done the TPS relearn?

95stsrider
07-02-06, 10:06 AM
what is the TPS relearn?also how difficult is it to replace the speed controler? thanks LA

95stsrider
07-02-06, 10:52 AM
also does the speed controller decide wethier the car can shit into over-drive?

95stsrider
07-03-06, 01:11 PM
back to the top..if any one knows any thng im missing please post it up. im tring to get this car running tip-top so i can let my aunt drive it while im gone out of town. thanks LA

JimLucky
07-03-06, 01:50 PM
Code P022 is Open TPS signal (VCC) wich is indicating a open circuit wich is usualy a broken wire in the TPS harnes.

95stsrider
07-03-06, 02:17 PM
can i just buy that conector? where from? or do i have to run new wires? thanks LA

JimLucky
07-03-06, 02:48 PM
You should ohm out the harnes with a multi meter , a continuity test.If I remember corectly the TPS harnes feeds into a larger wiring harnes.I would usualy insert a srait pin one thats a conductor into each TPS wire just before it runs into the larger harnes and to the corasponding female pin on the TPS harnes.With the Battery disconrcted .

95stsrider
07-03-06, 04:08 PM
alright then i guess ill try and ohm out the wires tomorrow. thanks for the tip. ill keep everyone posted. peace LA

95stsrider
07-07-06, 02:17 PM
alright so i didnt have time to ohm out the wires but my buddy who works for the local pontiac dealer is going to pick me up a new plug so ill install it tonight. ill let everyone know the out come. one last question how do i relearn the TPS? thanks LA

Ranger
07-07-06, 03:39 PM
Just drive it. It'll relearn itself.

95stsrider
07-07-06, 07:19 PM
alright well i just got back from my shop and the car still isn't shifting into overdrive. i guess tomorrow im goin to jack the car up and find where the other end of the harness goes. any idea's? ive just about givin up on this car, i dont know what to do?

Ranger
07-07-06, 08:16 PM
Are you sure it is not a shift solenoid? Have you checked the DTC's?

parts68
07-07-06, 08:30 PM
other end is the PCM

95stsrider
07-08-06, 12:43 PM
ok this is a stupid question what what is my DTC's?

JimLucky
07-08-06, 06:43 PM
diagnostic trouble codes your was a P022

95stsrider
07-08-06, 07:35 PM
oh.....ok thanks, is there any chance that there could be somthing wrong with the transmission it self?

95stsrider
07-09-06, 12:59 PM
ok well this morning i went to the shop and got the voltages fro the wires. with the car on but not runnuing i got .02 volts on the black wire and 5.04 on the white wire. these numbers are the same with the car running. now i know that i dont have a broke wire so is there somthing else i should be looking for? thanks LA

95stsrider
07-09-06, 12:59 PM
ok well this morning i went to the shop and got the voltages fro the wires. with the car on but not runnuing i got .02 volts on the black wire and 5.04 on the white wire. these numbers are the same with the car running. now i know that i dont have a broke wire so is there somthing else i should be looking for? thanks LA

95stsrider
07-10-06, 07:01 AM
is ti possible that the ISC could have something to do with my P022 code?

parts68
07-10-06, 06:24 PM
If the tps is connected and you get 5 v with throttle closed(off) then your TPS is bad. 5 V should be at WOT

JimLucky
07-10-06, 10:15 PM
oh.....ok thanks, is there any chance that there could be somthing wrong with the transmission it self?

I would think that its your trany too but because your PCM is giving a P022 code
(open TPS signal)VCC your PCM will not shift to overdrive until this code is resolved (unplug any TPS on any northstar and no overdrive with E series trany)

You did not have this shifting problem before you replaced the TPS!!

Parts68 said your voltages are worng 5v is WOT

It sounds like the wires a reversed (this is not a easy one)

Your PCM said open TPS signal VCC .Wich ever wire is the (VCC) line is the problem.

This is a real BUGGER

95stsrider
07-10-06, 11:12 PM
no i had the connector off when i took the voltage's. ill go again tomorrow and put the connector back on and test them again. i don't see how the wires could have gotten swapped but who really knows. does any one know where i can get a wire diagram for this. thanks LA

95stsrider
07-10-06, 11:28 PM
also just thought of this could the PCM it self gone bad...i think im trying to hard this is killing me..

parts68
07-11-06, 08:49 PM
PCM could be bad but first you need to check TPS with it plugged in.
If you have access to a scanner it will tell volts. If not then you need to probe with a VOM

95stsrider
07-11-06, 09:59 PM
ok all i have is an volt meter...so i will try and get to the shop in the mourning and get those numbers.

95stsrider
07-14-06, 06:59 PM
i just got in from doing an all night drive to Illinois and back. i was talking to my mechanic buddy and he said that his friend had a saturn wagon doing the same thing but it ended up being his alternator wasn't putting out enough volts. could this be true for my car?

95stsrider
07-16-06, 05:37 PM
any ideas?

95stsrider
07-20-06, 09:11 PM
...^^^...

95stsrider
07-24-06, 11:18 PM
im just about fed up with this car so this is going to be my last chance to get it running. does anyone think it could be the pcu, i got the same voltages with the connector plugged in as i did with it unplugged. so if this dont work im taking it to the corner and selling it for what i can get,

JimLucky
07-27-06, 03:56 PM
Did you ohm out the TPS harnes ? The PCM is indicating a open wire.P022 (open TPS signal)[VCC].

The PCM could be bad if the TPS harnes is ok.

95stsrider
07-27-06, 05:41 PM
im out of town right for the rest of the week but i will ohm it out on monday. what does the other end of the harness goto? PCU or what. thanks

JimLucky
07-28-06, 07:40 PM
Yes they would join a bunch of wires like the O2 sensors, cam sensors, etc., and run to the PCM.

95stsrider
07-29-06, 07:43 PM
last question (well atleast till monday) where is the PCM located? thanks JimLucky for all the help

JimLucky
08-01-06, 06:27 PM
the pcm is behind the dash on the passanger side. To acess, remove lower kick panal(below glove box), and you can see it towards the back on the firewall.

PCM location: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...PCMdrawing.jpg

95stsrider
09-05-06, 12:31 PM
ok well its been a month of nothing but work so i havent had any time to work on the car. i too it to the local chevy place this mourning and they are going to fix it up for me. ill post what they fix tomorrow when i get the car back. thanks Jeremy

JimLucky
09-05-06, 11:05 PM
hope its a simple fix good luck and your very welcome.

95stsrider
09-06-06, 01:55 PM
well just got the car back and everything is good. they replaced the tps,harness, and reset the programing in the computer. i hated to take the car but i was out of options.

JimLucky
09-06-06, 05:48 PM
Excellent 95stsrider at least you knew they were doing what needed to be done.

Dont feel bad I had to take mine in one time when I was in a binde too. :thumbsup: