: dash speakers 77-79 deville

BigDaddyDeville
06-25-06, 09:31 PM
how do those grills come out? do you have to remove the whole dash pad? someone here surely replaced these before.

Benzilla
06-26-06, 02:48 AM
Well since nobody else will help him...

This will have the info you need, same dash.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/71403-speakers-87-cadillac-brougham.html?highlight=dash+speakers

Night Wolf
06-26-06, 12:00 PM
yeah. pretty stright forward, they are 4x6's. I replaced mine with a free set of 2-way Kenwood Excelon or something like that.... sound really good too.

BigDaddyDeville
06-27-06, 12:09 PM
i was really hoping i didnt have to remove the dash pad. imight just take it to get it done, they shouldnt charge to much. i already bought a set of planet audio neo460 4x6's. the rear speakers were so easy, i guess the dash ones make up for it.

oh and thanks guys.

Night Wolf
06-27-06, 04:15 PM
Ummm, its really not that hard, at all.

I did it a few times, including when I was at the body shop yard after the '79 was wrecked and I had a very limited amount of tools with me.

3 phiilp screws on the top near the vents, 1 on each side facing the door, and a 7 or 10mm (?) mini bolt above the speedometer (you'll see the round hole) and the same on the top of the glove box.... remove all those and there are metal clips.... slide the whole dash pad to the rear of the car and it pops right out.

seriosuly, its like 5 minutes of work, super easy.

Benzilla
06-27-06, 08:55 PM
Hey Rick, or anybody really, when installing new speakers on these cars, is it ok to use the factory wiring, or do you need to upgrade it? Because I have a pair of 6x9s and an amp with high level inputs that I want to drop in the '79.

Night Wolf
06-28-06, 11:46 AM
I used the factory wiring.

If using an aftermarket amp, I would replace it tho.

My '79 had origanal 8-track player, but I got a cassette from an '85 Brougham and it was a direct fit... I wanted factory looking radio but the cassette allowled me to hook up the MP3 player via cassette adapter.... so the power output, while it sound really good, was very low.

The rear 6x9's were stock... I had some nice plans for that car with the sound system..... ah well.

Benzilla
06-28-06, 07:05 PM
Ok, thanks. I might keave the amp out, I don't need that much power in this one, just some nice sounds.

I also wanted to play discs, but I want to leave the stock radio so I can play 8-tracks, so I got an old 8-track to cassette adaptor, then hooked up the cassette to CD adaptor, then hooked up my CD player, and there you go, CD through 8-track lol.

Did the cassette player help sound quality at all? I know the '85s had seprate low and high adjustment, where as my stock one is also a CB radio, so it only has the "tone" control, so that would probably help.

Wheelman322
06-28-06, 08:15 PM
I added a set of Pioneer 4x6 3 ways that sound incredible.:thumbsup:

FASSTWOOD
06-28-06, 10:12 PM
Don't leave the amp out. If you have the use it. I use to wire up the rear speaker wires up to the front speaker wires instead of running new wiring up front for the dash speakers. Tha is kinda cheesy though, but it did work well...

I love me some loud clear music, not necessarily loud but definately clear...

Good luck

P.S. That dash is a breeze to remove...

BigDaddyDeville
06-29-06, 08:05 PM
i might attempt it, i just hate when i take something apart and it doesnt go back exactly like it was. im going to use the rear speaker wire to run power up to the dash speakers. i ran new wires to the 6.5's from the amp anyway so theyre not hooked up.

caddydream
06-30-06, 12:23 AM
8-track to CD, amazing.

Benzilla
06-30-06, 12:27 AM
lol, thanks. I might try a video Ipod next just to say I did it. that should get me in the world book of records. haha.

stan07730
03-15-07, 06:54 PM
I'm so glad I found this forum. Finding info on my '77 Coupe DeVille has been a nightmare since I bought it 6months ago. Thanks for the help accessing the dashboard speakers, I hope it's as easy as everyone says. If I'm successful, the next challenge will be repairing or replacing the driver side mirror. Stan