: Coolant Flush?

cadillac6
02-03-04, 03:21 PM
I have a 97 cadillac concours. it was 84500 miles on her. Should I get a coolant flush?

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 05:29 PM
I have a 97 cadillac concours. it was 84500 miles on her. Should I get a coolant flush?

NO. If you perceive that the cooling system needs service just drain and refill. There is no reason to flush the system and you do not want a flush. A cooling system "flush" either introduces large amounts of tap water which is not good because it cannot be removed completely and it is not good to leave any in there OR the flush involves introducing some harsh caustic chemicals into the system which is definitely not good for the aluminum engine or the aluminum radiator. Forget the flush.

From your other posts...you have no cooling problem. You do not need a cooling system flush. At some point it is a good idea to drain the sytem down, install a fresh charge of 50/50 DexCool/distilled water, install the coolant supplement/sealer recommended for the engine (the GM coolant supplement pellets) and leave it alone.

cadillac6
02-04-04, 04:59 PM
well i bought a thermostat/gasket for the coolant flush today but i suppose I can return that. Thank you so much for your advice. I am not leaking any coolant or anything and my coolant temp has remained the same. I suppose that it went up a tad because I was at an idle for about 10 minutes. You just saved me time/money! I LOVE THIS SITE!! thanks again! greatly appreciated! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :) :) :)