: Removing lower control arm

Eastwood
06-24-06, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I want to replace the lower control arm bushings on my '67 Cadillac DeVille. Does anyone know how to do this without the use of a spring compressor? The shop anual says it's possible, but I'm not so sure.

thanks,
Michiel

BluEyes
06-24-06, 02:17 PM
Just follow the steps in the factory shop manual. That's exactly the way that Cadillac techs would have done it. The engineers who built the car didn't write the shop manual for kicks after all.

I've never removed the springs on my Caddy, but I have done it twice on my Camaro with no spring compressor. I believe it is the same way listed in my '70 FSM - just let the LCA down with a floor jack. By the time the controll arm is down that far there is very little energy in the spring and you can just pop it out with a prybar or something. It still has some force though, so don't go sticking your fingers down there or anything but I've never had anything close to an airborne spring or something like that.

BCs71
06-29-06, 02:18 PM
Check out this webpage, it's pretty detailed in how to remove everything without a spring compressor:
http://www.gvbbc.org/index.php?section=70

The worst part will be separating the lower ball joint (and if rust is an issue). But otherwise seems straightforward!

Cheers