: Chance of Fire ??

Mitch3
06-24-06, 10:05 AM
I have a 94 Eldorado with the usual oil leaks. I have been told by two mechanics it is the oil pan. The leak doesn't bother me as it isn't all that bad however it does leak onto the exhaust pipe and smells really bad when I stop and sometimes smokes enough to attract attention at the toll booth. Question I have is if there is a real fire hazard with the oil dripping or blowing back onto the exhaust. My wife refuses to drive any long distance with me because she insists the car is going to explode. I did a search and can't find anything regarding this possibility.

caddydaddy
06-24-06, 10:15 AM
It depends on how bad the leak is and how quickly it burns off or accumulates on hot exhaust parts. Does it leak to the ground?

sts96
06-24-06, 10:35 AM
The exhaust crossover pipe is insulated but still gets hot enough to vaporize the oil so an open flame could set the vapor on fire such as driving over a road flare. Oil burns much slower than gasoline so an explosion is not likely. Why take a chance have the leak repaired. Been there done that. Sts96

Ranger
06-25-06, 08:44 PM
There is not enough "fuel" (oil) supply to start or sustain a fire, and an explosion is rediculous.

fubar569
06-26-06, 02:34 AM
i'd also double check that diagnosis. too many mechanics are unfamiliar with the N* motors on too many points. most common point of leaking is not the oil pan, but the crankcase seal similar to the LT5 corvettes...

the block is not really a traditional block. it is 2 seperate pieces and of course there's a seal or gasket between them. this is most prone to leakage...