: 96 Eldorado ABS/Trac Control lights on...need help

newetc
02-03-04, 09:55 AM
Hello folks,
Just purchased a 96 Eldorado and here's my problem: While driving the vehicle the ABS/Traction Control lights come on and stay on, is this normal? The owners manual states that they should come on upon startup for system check but then they should go out.
Any info on this would be great because i'm taking her to the dealer to get some other work done and if they have to address this isssue i'll make a point stress that it was not fixed as promised :annoyed:
Thank you in advance for you help and input.

DaveSmed
02-03-04, 04:58 PM
That is NOT normal. You probably don't have anti-lock brakes if those lights are on.

newetc
02-03-04, 05:06 PM
Around town it doesn't seem to do it, once i hit the highway the lights come on and stay on. I need to hookup with someone who knows about these eldos that is close by. I need to find an affordable scan tool for the eldo. I have an obdII diagnostic tool for my other vehicle but not the caddy.
Any help would be great.
Thanks again.

DaveSmed
02-03-04, 05:58 PM
There's one built into the car. With the ignition on, hold OFF and warmer untill the dash does a segment check. Then it should scroll through the codes and stop at PCM? Post the codes here, and we'll look them up.

patfarrell
02-03-04, 07:24 PM
I had the same problem with my 98 Eldorado. It turned out to be a blown fuse. Check your cruse control, when I had the problem that stopped working also.

ShadowLvr400
02-03-04, 07:37 PM
Reminds me of a problem I had. Loose speed sensor. Jack up the car, and check each of the speed sensors. Behind the brake hubs. You'll have to basically lay under the tire.

newetc
02-04-04, 12:01 AM
Thank you very much for all the help and feedback. I will try this procedure tomorrow to see if it throws any useful information.
The cruise control works..
What is strange is that the lights only come on on the highway.. i'm leaning toward the speed sensor saying..."wheel spinning too fast", btw i'm cruising at like 55 or 60mph with the cruise on..
Thanks again.

There's one built into the car. With the ignition on, hold OFF and warmer untill the dash does a segment check. Then it should scroll through the codes and stop at PCM? Post the codes here, and we'll look them up.

CaliEldorado
02-04-04, 12:53 AM
I had this happen to me once in my '94 Eldorado. The solution I was told and used was this:
IN yr glove box you probably have 2 buttons on the left side. 1- for your fuel filler door and 1- for yr trunk release. Look for a black post-like button between these two. If you have it, next time you start yr car try holding this in for 4-5 seconds. This should recycle your TC info system and solve yr problem. I hope this helps. It worked for me. Good luck.

Hello folks,
Just purchased a 96 Eldorado and here's my problem: While driving the vehicle the ABS/Traction Control lights come on and stay on, is this normal? The owners manual states that they should come on upon startup for system check but then they should go out.
Any info on this would be great because i'm taking her to the dealer to get some other work done and if they have to address this isssue i'll make a point stress that it was not fixed as promised :annoyed:
Thank you in advance for you help and input.

newetc
02-04-04, 09:29 AM
I have to look at the glove box again but my trunk release and fuel door sit right above the radio.. i do remember seeing a few buttons in the glove box and will give it a go..
Thanks for the feedback.

I had this happen to me once in my '94 Eldorado. The solution I was told and used was this:
IN yr glove box you probably have 2 buttons on the left side. 1- for your fuel filler door and 1- for yr trunk release. Look for a black post-like button between these two. If you have it, next time you start yr car try holding this in for 4-5 seconds. This should recycle your TC info system and solve yr problem. I hope this helps. It worked for me. Good luck.

newetc
02-06-04, 12:29 AM
Here are some codes i pulled out.. any help would be great

AC 1341 current

TC0028 History

PC0603 History

I think i need to read more about this. It looks like it spits out codes in a specific sequence... Where can i read more info about this.
Thanks in advance.