: Can you put in too much coolant?

cadillac6
02-03-04, 01:03 AM
I poured the dex-cool in my car to about full in my 97 caddy. My neighbor said I should be fine but im still worried. Should it be ok? or should I get some taken out?

Anthony Cipriano
02-03-04, 01:13 AM
When cold the coolant should be about 1.5 to 2 inches below the pressure cap neck. If it's any higher than that it will likely push a little out when it's very hot but that wont hurt anything. Just you might think there's a coolant leak or something one day when it pushes some out the overflow. If it's way overfilled it wont hurt anything but it would be better to get it to the correct level so none is pushed out the overflow later. Get an inexpensive turkey baster from the food store to pull some out with. You poured in a 50/50 mixture of DexCool/distilled water, right? Not just straight DexCool?

Ralph
02-03-04, 01:14 AM
That's what the coolant recovery tank is for. If it's cold, just fill to the "Full cold" mark.

Anthony Cipriano
02-03-04, 01:31 AM
That's what the coolant recovery tank is for. If it's cold, just fill to the "Full cold" mark.

The original post was about a 97 which would be a Northstar and the Northstar doesn't use a coolant recovery bottle and there isn't one in the system or on the car.

The Northstar uses a pressurized surge tank that's in series with the main part of the cooling system and is pressurized. The pressure cap for the Northstar cooling system is on the pressurized surge tank - not on the radiator. That's why the instructions to fill the system cold to 1.5/2.0 inches from the cap neck on the surge tank. The vacant space in the pressurized surge tank acts as an expansion volume to keep the coolant in the sytem when hot or during an afterboil situation.

The pressure cap on the 4.9 is on the radiator and the radiator should be completely full to the brim and the coolant recovery bottle should be half full.

cadillac6
02-03-04, 01:59 AM
So is this bad? :bighead:

Anthony Cipriano
02-03-04, 02:22 PM
So is this bad? :bighead:
Is what bad? Putting in too much coolant or putting in straight coolant? Yes to both. Use the correct coolant concentration (50/50) and fill to the correct level.

cadillac6
02-03-04, 03:19 PM
So I should siphon some out?

Anthony Cipriano
02-03-04, 05:33 PM
So I should siphon some out?
As stated above, yes. Get a turkey baster and suck some out. Easier than siphoning and neater. If you don't get some out then it will overflow one day and leave a puddle on the ground from being too full and everyone will freak. Put it at the correct level. You never did say if you poured in a 50/50 mix or straight DexCool.

Cadillacboy
02-03-04, 06:06 PM
I never exceed 50/50 at all because I personally assume that putting too much coolant is not a something that to be so good to radiator .
By the way ,thanks for the tips

cadillac6
02-04-04, 03:57 PM
Yes I put in Dex-Cool 50/50. I put it in 2 days ago and havnt seen any problems yet.

Big Jim
02-05-04, 06:52 AM
You want to pay close attention to what kind of coolant you buy. I am encountering a lot of "ready to use" stuff in the parts stores now. The last time I needed Dexcool, all I could fine was the premixed stuff. No real problems with either kind but make sure which one you have so you can do it right.

cadillac6
02-05-04, 10:12 AM
lol, I break out the cadillac manual and go with what it says. Cadillacs always use something different or more expensive.