: Open Air Cleaner

DopeStar 156
06-22-06, 10:23 AM
I just happened across one in Auto Zone the other day and stared at it for a few seconds..... What's the advantage of tossing one of these on the car? I know my current stock one has vacuum lines going to it, I'm sure my ECM would miss them..... Thoughts?

Night Wolf
06-22-06, 11:44 AM
1) looks better/cleans up engine
2) sounds better
3) may actually bump up power
4) don't go to Auto Zone

On the 425 it was pretty stright forward, on the 307 its a little more involved because of all the vaccum lines, and you've got the AIR pump in there... gotta do something with those lines.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
06-22-06, 12:32 PM
1) looks better/cleans up engine
2) sounds better
3) may actually bump up power
4) don't go to Auto Zone

On the 425 it was pretty stright forward, on the 307 its a little more involved because of all the vaccum lines, and you've got the AIR pump in there... gotta do something with those lines.

Keep in mind that you'll be sucking in hot engine air.

BCs71
06-22-06, 12:50 PM

Bingo! The snorkel air filter design pulls air from right in front of the grille area so cool air is pulled in from the front of the car.

The open element, although getting more air into the engine (which is a good thing) is pulling the air from everywhere inside the engine compartment, which is heated up from the engine, exhaust, radiator, etc.
Cooler air makes more power.
More air can make more power.

The trick is to find a happy medium.

92cadbro
06-22-06, 01:53 PM
u mean like this?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/cadbro/random2048.jpg

I also put a k&n air filter.

As per BCs71's comment, I agree with you 100%................

DopeStar 156
06-22-06, 01:59 PM
Exactly, unfortunately I have a jumble of vacuum lines in there and I know at least three or four of them connect to the air cleaner. I'll have to weigh the +'s and -'s.....

Benzilla
06-22-06, 04:45 PM
I know a guy with a 305 in the '91 Brougham that put one of those in it, looks nice, sounds better. It sort of looks like he did a hack job though. I want to get one for my '79.

DiscoDave
06-22-06, 08:08 PM
Bingo! The snorkel air filter design pulls air from right in front of the grille area so cool air is pulled in from the front of the car.

The open element, although getting more air into the engine (which is a good thing) is pulling the air from everywhere inside the engine compartment, which is heated up from the engine, exhaust, radiator, etc.
Cooler air makes more power.
More air can make more power.

The trick is to find a happy medium.

Hood scoop, baby! :)

90Brougham350
06-22-06, 10:02 PM
DO NOT remove the stock snorkel. Every 10 degrees you can lower the temperature of the incoming air, you gain approximately 1% in power. Installing an open-air element looks cool, but with a well-maintained stock set-up or a custom install bringing in cold air, you will make your engine much happier.

dill
06-22-06, 10:49 PM
I took my air cleaner top off and put it back on upside down.307 /1987 Brougham. The engin gets more air and the centre is still blocked off,so no dirt gets into the carburetor. What do you thing good or bad?:thumbsup:

Night Wolf
06-23-06, 01:56 AM

Not as much as you'd think.

On my 425, that mechanical fan was like a wind tunnel, and that would sitting still with the hood open...

picture the car moving ~50+mph..... between the airflow thru the grille, and the massive mechanical fan, the air isn't going to be THAT hot... and... not THAT much hotter then air thru the dryer hose and from behind the headlight.

My 425 got a power boost from that... I noticed it.

Night Wolf
06-23-06, 02:00 AM
DO NOT remove the stock snorkel. Every 10 degrees you can lower the temperature of the incoming air, you gain approximately 1% in power. Installing an open-air element looks cool, but with a well-maintained stock set-up or a custom install bringing in cold air, you will make your engine much happier.

The 425 was alot more happy with the 14" Edelbrock open element :).

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0177.JPG

Night Wolf
06-23-06, 02:05 AM
I took my air cleaner top off and put it back on upside down.307 /1987 Brougham. The engin gets more air and the centre is still blocked off,so no dirt gets into the carburetor. What do you thing good or bad?:thumbsup:

Thats the age old flip the air cleaner lid trick... I personally think it looks really bad..... and.... its basically the same thing as a proper open element, but about 40% of the actual flow.... same theory, just.... not the same. Spend the 30 bucks and get a nice open element.

92cadbro
06-23-06, 12:34 PM
like this.....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/cadbro/S2010010.jpg

johndfw
06-23-06, 01:58 PM
I do the same thing that Dill does. I'm not sure if it helps much though.

N0DIH
06-23-06, 02:39 PM
When I was experimenting with my Vortec K&N (aka, BIG) on my LT1 and keeping close tabs on IAT (Intake Air Temp) via the PCM data, the only time I saw underhood temps climb to pretty high was at stop, once moving they cooled off pretty well. Note my engine has the filter behind the headlight. So it isn't breathing right behind the radiator and fan.

Mine is something like this: http://www.bareproductions.com/Projects/Caprice/Enginet.JPG, only without the deflector shield and in my case, Home Plate and First Base still intact. So I was sucking hot air anytime I slowed down, but as soon as I get going, it was only 5-10C over outside. I see that normally with the stock airbox now.

Now, the "issue" is the PCM or ECM looks at IAT (I don't think the 307 ever got IAT) and will back off timing if it sees air temps climbing. But the 307 likely can't know, so it won't, so at slow or stop, you ~could~ get some pinging if you are on the edge of timing (higher than stock). BUT, I really don't think so.

On my Olds 350 in my Cutlass, I fabbed up a dual snorkel air cleaner from a junkyard one and made it look as stock as I could. I ran dual under bumper air intakes so I was injesting as cool air as I could.

It did run better than stock air cleaner, mainly at WOT. It was also a 350, the 307 got broke.... But all stock ECM was in place.

I can't find it anymore, but there was a good homebrew ram air setup for the GN regal on GNTType.org that used heater ducts painted black under the front bumper that looked inconspicuous on the G Body. Might be a thought....

90Brougham350
06-23-06, 05:55 PM
Keep in mind, the stock unit may be restrictive, however, if you can build your own snorkel with bigger tubbing, your engine will be happier. When you're sitting at a stop light, you're sucking in hot air. What happens if you want to mash the fun pedal from a stop? Use a snorkel, whether it's factory or custom, but use one. Plus, without the snorkel / factory setup, you lose the thermac or whatever it's called. You need that in the winter time.

Night Wolf
06-24-06, 01:38 AM
like this.....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/cadbro/S2010010.jpg

Looks horrible IMO.

either flip the factory lid back, or install a real open element.

N0DIH
06-25-06, 12:09 AM
I loved the class of a clean stock looking engine compartment with a factory looking dual snorkel air cleaner.

People were often mistaking it for a factory piece. It wasn't, factory never made it for these cars.

Just get a second air cleaner, install the factory one, mark where you want the second snork, cut out an opening, then take the second air cleaner and add around 3/8" wider cut similar to the other one, and then install with pop rivets, paint factory black and install!

I even connected up dual thermac's and dual exhaust manifold heat. I disconnected it in the summer or when over 50F, as it helps power (cheap mod for you guys with carbs!!), as the thermac maintains 100F inside the intake at all times, some cars ever warmer. It is to help cold weather vaporization.

On the second air cleaner, the little plastic peice that connects the end of the snork to the air tube that runs to the front end, take it and install it upside down, and connect up to a hose to the front end, I ran under the front bumper to get cold air (well, as cold as air that is close to the pavement can be....)

Oh, as always, remove the air deflectors inside the intake, they slow the airflow down, so cut it off and allow the air to flow into the air filter less obstructed.

IF you can fit the older Olds Diesel air cleaner, please do, it supports a 14in x 5in filter, and the one on the 6.2L diesel pickups some have dual snorkels already with no snork on it. The less restriction you can get the better.

92cadbro
06-25-06, 12:34 AM
Night Wolf,

It did look horrible....thats why i went from that, to this, with k&n air filter

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/cadbro/random2048.jpg

Night Wolf
06-25-06, 01:48 PM
Only thing with the snorkel.... even with the air deflector cut out, it still is concentrated on a very small portion of the filter... evidenced by the dirt collection, so you would have to rotate the filter....

on my open element, it would collect on the whole forward half, so whe it appeared dirty, I'd spin it 180*, then run it that way until I replaced it again.

caddydream
06-25-06, 11:02 PM
In the GOD (good o'l days) we used to take the top of the air cleaner and turn it upside-down creating a space all around the top of the air cleaner. We thought we were Mario Andretti.

N0DIH
06-26-06, 01:10 AM
I took a 1979 Trans AM 6.6Liter (Olds 403) air cleaner with scoop and put it under the hood of my 76 Delta 88. It put the opening (it was modified) at the back by the cowl. Sounded like a NASCAR stocker at WOT! Awesome!

And the look from people if I opened the hood.... And that day I drove the car without a hood the boneyard to get another hood....