: Dex-Cool

cadillac6
02-03-04, 12:49 AM
A little info about it...
http://www.getahelmet.com/maint/dexcool.htm

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 01:26 AM
DexCool is an excellent product but I would not go so far as the author of that article to call the conventional green coolant "inferior"....

Both the DexCool and the conventional green coolant are primarily ethylene-glycol and from a cooling standpoint are completely equivalent.

The only difference between the two is in the method of corrosion inhibition. The conventional green coolant relys on a silicate package to prevent corrosion while the DexCool uses an organic acid based corrosion inhibitor. Due to the nature of the corrosion prevention technique with the silicated coolant the silicates are sacrificial and are used up over time requiring the coolant to be replaced frequently. The organic acid based corrosion inhibitors in the DexCool last virtually forever....at least 5 years/100K miles so it does not have to be replaced frequently to maintain corrosion protection.

Once the engine has been run with a silicated coolant (pre 1996 GM engines) the block and heads and coolant passages are coated with silicates and switching to the DexCool is virutally pointless as the long life feature is rendered ineffective due to continual silicate contamination from the residual silicates in the system. This is particularily true with all aluminum engines. It won't hurt anything to switch to DexCool but it doesn't really gain anything as the DexCool will need to be changed frequently in the future.

The GM coolant supplement pellets are equally effective and completely compatible with both the green silicated coolants and DexCool and is highly recommended in all years of the 4.1/4.5/4.9 and the Northstar of all years.

cadillac6
02-03-04, 02:08 AM
Today is the day i really found out about it. I payed it no attention to what kind of coolant my car has used. But I read some articles that dex-cool is bad on some GM cars.

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 02:07 PM
Today is the day i really found out about it. I payed it no attention to what kind of coolant my car has used. But I read some articles that dex-cool is bad on some GM cars.

The DexCool itself is NOT bad....what is bad is the poor maintenance on the vehicles and running the system low while using DexCool.....

Cadillacboy
02-03-04, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't agree any more with you on the maintenance ,it's always indispensible to keep coolant running longer