: Engine Coolant

cadillac6
02-03-04, 12:34 AM
I think im low on engine coolant is that why my coolant guage is a little higher than normal? and if I filled it almost to the top should I be ok?

cadillac6
02-03-04, 12:35 AM
Put in Dex-Cool thats the right stuff right?

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 01:45 AM
I think im low on engine coolant is that why my coolant guage is a little higher than normal? and if I filled it almost to the top should I be ok?

Were you getting a "low coolant level" warning on the dash?? The system has a low coolant level warning sensor in the pressurized surge tank that should tell you if the coolant level is low.

DexCool mixed 50/50 with distilled water is the correct coolant.

cadillac6
02-03-04, 01:58 AM
yes thats the coolant I put in. But I didnt get any readings saying that I had low coolant levels.

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 02:23 PM
yes thats the coolant I put in. But I didnt get any readings saying that I had low coolant levels.

then you likely didn't need any.....

cadillac6
02-03-04, 03:18 PM
So should I take it out? If I was at an idle and my coolant needle rose a line is that normal should I be worried? my mom is over reacting and now my mechanic says that I need to get a coolant flush!! is this a waste of money?

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 05:23 PM
So should I take it out? If I was at an idle and my coolant needle rose a line is that normal should I be worried? my mom is over reacting and now my mechanic says that I need to get a coolant flush!! is this a waste of money?

I would get a turkey baster and suck out the excess, YES (read my other post), If you don't, the over-full surge tank will push some coolant out onto the ground one warm day in the summer when the temp gets higher and then your mom will REALLY freak out when she sees a puddle of coolant. Suck the coolant level in the surge tank down to 2 inches from the cap fitting when COLD. Leave it alone.

Coolant temp gauges move all the time on vehicles with electric cooling fans. That is normal. when the fans turn off (they aren't needed...) the coolant will slowly rise until the fans turn back on. Perfectly normal. No need to run a hot wire to the fans or anything. That is the way the vehicle is designed. Leave it alone.

Your mom is overreacting. If the coolant temp just moved one line then that is perfectly normal at idle. Relax. Tell here that a Northstar engineer told you it was fine.

You will get low coolant level warnings, high engine temp warnings, the AC will shut off to prevent overheating AND, should all else fail and the engine overheats, the Northstar is equipped with a loss of coolant protection mode, called the Limp Home mode (or Camel mode...runs without water...get it...) that will cut out cylinders to protect the engine until you drive to a safe place. It has been proven to work many times. It can run the engine 50 miles at 50 MPH with NO COOLANT in the engine without damage. So, there is very little reason to fear an overheat and nothing you have indicated sounds other than normal.