: open door and radio goes dead

Richard Miller
06-21-06, 07:08 PM
sure as the sun rises, if I open any door the radio display goes dead and looses memory. the radio repains powered, but the number display cuts out.

for the record this is on a 79 SDV, the wireing is still stock. nothing has been fooled with.

Benzilla
06-21-06, 08:51 PM
Thats nothing... on my '79 Phaeton, when you hit the brake or do anything else, the station changes! can someone help us?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-21-06, 08:57 PM
Ben, on yours, does it have the button on the floor to change the radio station? If it does, maybe some wiring is getting mixed up down there.

Benzilla
06-21-06, 09:08 PM
No... never heard of that. the only button on the floor is the dimmer.

scurling
06-22-06, 12:25 PM
Years ago when I installed a component system, I remember the tuner (head unit) had multiple power leads. At least one was for the unit's lighting incorporated with the vehicle dash lighting system. This was independent of the system power.

Maybe the unit in your car has similar power sources wired with the interior lighting system. The doors opening, turning on the interior dome lights, may be affecting one of the radio power circuits.

Someplace has to have a wiring diagram for your radio installation, or at least a wiring harness legend. Have you checked the radio wiring harness connector for possible damage? Maybe it got hot and melted some connectors together.

Richard Miller
06-22-06, 06:59 PM
I havent checked anything yet. since everythig is bone stock.

carnut
06-23-06, 08:30 PM
Check the fuse marked as BODY. should be a 20 amp yellow fuse. If blown, check all the lighter sockets and ash trays for tin foil or small bits of metal or a shorted lighter element. Remove all the lighters and look into the socket for metal? The body fuse provides constant voltage for radio memory and lighter function as well as dome light operation and on some cars power door lock operation. You have a feedback problem. This occurs when another circuit feeds back thru the harness to provide a complete circuit.

Richard Miller
06-24-06, 10:53 PM
thanks,:worship: I will check this out!!!

Richard Miller
06-25-06, 06:15 PM
does anyone have a diagram for the body fuse. the chiltons total car care is a flaming piece of shit.

caddydream
06-25-06, 09:49 PM
I would agree with Carnut on the lighting circuit connected to the memory and display on your radio. Sounds like a short in the wiring or switch for the lights. When you open the door the switch mounted on the body turns on the lights, the one forward of the door.

Richard Miller
06-25-06, 10:37 PM
the funny thing is it is any door. and the chiltons has no comprehensive diagram for electrical. It only shows the exterior lighting and engine systems. worst damn manual in the world. My 2 volume Bently manual for my audi was much better.

Wheelman322
06-28-06, 06:50 PM
sure as the sun rises, if I open any door the radio display goes dead and looses memory. the radio repains powered, but the number display cuts out.

for the record this is on a 79 SDV, the wireing is still stock. nothing has been fooled with.

Yep...Had that problem on my 79. Just like the previous post mentioned, it is definetly the "body" fuse.

carnut
06-29-06, 02:33 PM
You shouldn't need a wiring diagram to locate the fuse. Check all the yellow 20 amp fuses. Fuse should be "hot' on both sides , key off. Did you find anything in the lighter sockets? Only manual to have is the factory service manual. Others are a waste of money.

Richard Miller
06-30-06, 12:18 AM
fuse is good. no short in the lighters. pulled the fuse and the dome/courtesy lights went out, power door locks stopped also.