: Weird?

cadillac6
02-03-04, 12:26 AM
Ok so today I was at the bank while my mom was running in to make a deposit and I said i'd wait in the car. I did for about 5-7 minutes. And I took a look down and I saw my engine coolant guage go up like a whole line! Ive never seen that happen before. So Right away I went to advanced auto parts and got some engine coolant. Dex-cool. Cadillacs always require something different than regular antifreeze anyway. So I put it in and filled it to the brim. Hasnt happened since. What could the problem be? is it normal for it to do that at an idle? i looked down in the engine coolant and I could see down in there. So I filled it to the top. Should I be ok?

cadillac6
02-03-04, 12:27 AM
by the way i drive an 97 concours. And I got my oil changed about 4 days ago.

BeelzeBob
02-03-04, 01:54 AM
Ok so today I was at the bank while my mom was running in to make a deposit and I said i'd wait in the car. I did for about 5-7 minutes. And I took a look down and I saw my engine coolant guage go up like a whole line! Ive never seen that happen before. So Right away I went to advanced auto parts and got some engine coolant. Dex-cool. Cadillacs always require something different than regular antifreeze anyway. So I put it in and filled it to the brim. Hasnt happened since. What could the problem be? is it normal for it to do that at an idle? i looked down in the engine coolant and I could see down in there. So I filled it to the top. Should I be ok?

Your car has electric cooling fans. The electric cooling fans are controlled by the engine coolant temperature and/or the AC system demands. When the AC compressor is running the fans need to run regardless of the coolant temperature.

So......likely there was nothing at all wrong. In the winter the cooling fans will only turn on when the coolant gets to 225 or so..... Probably all you saw was the engine idling and the coolant temp creeping up to where the fans turned on. There is absolutely nothing to worry about unless the gauge runs near the red....

In the summer or warmer weather when the climate control is in auto and the AC compressor can run the electric cooling fans will run all the time due to the constant demand on the AC condensor. The condensor needs constant airflow over it to function so the fans run whether the coolant temp requires them or not. When the fans run for the AC the coolant usaully stays relatively low and stable.

In the winter when the AC compressor does not run (the compressor will not run below 40 degrees ambient temp even if the climate control is in auto) the fans work purely based on the coolant temperature....so it is common to see slightly higher coolant temps at idle in the winter... Just the "nature of the beast" with electric cooling fans.

cadillac6
02-03-04, 01:57 AM
So nothing to worry about?? whew thats good! thanks for all the help with the info man! i appreciate it! :worship: