: 97 SLS misfiring... ?

sprj
06-21-06, 03:01 PM
I have checked plugs. Changed wires twice. New Bosch, then new Delco. Tested coilpacks and ignition module. All checked good. Only code I got a couple weeks ago was P1320 - IC 4X Reference Circuit Intermittent. Car is still running rough(misfiring), at idle or cruise... but it is intermittent. No codes. When I check, says SYSTEMS MONITORED OK? I pulled all the plugs, they are ok. Hood sticker says plugs should gap @ .060, parts store says .050? Any ideas on that?

I don't know what to do to get this car to run right. Can anybody help?

zonie77
06-21-06, 03:54 PM
It should run OK at .050 or .060, I don't think that's the problem.

Get a shop with a scope, and someone who knows how to use it, to check it.

sprj
06-21-06, 05:29 PM
It should run OK at .050 or .060, I don't think that's the problem.

Get a shop with a scope, and someone who knows how to use it, to check it.

THINK IT COULD BE THE FUEL FILTER?

zonie77
06-21-06, 05:51 PM
A clogged fuel filter will cause fuel starvation as the rpm rises. It will not effect idle until it's 99% clogged. Your top speed would be 5mph by the time it would be effecting idle.

eldorado1
06-21-06, 05:54 PM
your intermittant code shows a possible problem with wiring, the PCM, or the ICM. Intermittants are the worst to track down..

parts68
06-21-06, 07:22 PM
Especially if the intermittant is a PCM problem.

sprj
06-23-06, 10:20 PM
Still not showing any codes... I am beginning to wonder if it is a fuel problem instead of an ignition problem? As a result, I put some injector cleaner in it, changed the fuel filter, but I have had no success. Car is still running rough, probably runs best at idle. It seems to run significantly worse when I put it in gear. I don't know if it is a misfire or what the hell it is, but it is definitely not running 'smooth'. If it were wiring, would you expect any codes? How about if it was fuel related? I am baffled by the fact that this car has so many sensors and modules, is running like crap, and is not showing any fault codes. Does anybody think it may be an injector or even a fuel pump issue? Are there any ways for me to test those items??? I am really apprehensive to take this thing to the dealer because I really don't have the money, but I feel like I am about out of options...

fubar569
06-24-06, 02:29 AM
im actually trying to hunt down something that feels like a "misfire" in my 97 deville. intermittently while under somewhat heavy acceleration it seems to skip a beat in various gears. sometimes 1st off the line, then sometimes 2nd or 3rd if it kicks down to pass...but it's never really the same. i'm thinking it may be a simple ignition issue, but the trans has never been cracked and changing the fluid and filter probably isn't a bad idea for me. I'm gonna start with the basics and see where this goes...hopefully it's not a transmission/torque converter issue...though at times around 30-40mph it kinda feels like convertor shuffle...but no codes or anything powertrain related come up at all...

as for the issue at hand, someone with a scope or tool will have to check things out...intermittent issues suck as stated, and you've already tried most of the basic solutions. i hope we both get out of this cheap :worship:

Ranger
06-25-06, 07:39 PM
Fubar,
Have you had the fuel rail recall done recently? Your problem sounds like wires. Do a search for "Stutter, engine or trans".

fubar569
06-26-06, 01:31 AM
i checked first thing after i became aware. the lines are all stainless so the recall was done...a dealer report confirms this (i had a friend run the VIN)...

plugs and wires come next check...tonight i removed all wires and reinstalled and it got ever so slightly better, so that's a good indication a problem lies there