: Tire replacement

marvt
06-21-06, 02:07 PM
By now some of you must be changing tires on your 2005 STS V-6. The original equipment Michelin's were terrible-road noise unbelievable. Any suggesting of tires to cure this problem Willing to pay whatever it takes.
MarvT

RedGalant2k1
06-21-06, 09:38 PM
Kumho makes their Ecsta ASX in both 17" and 18" tire combinations.

bert5468
06-24-06, 10:04 PM
I agree! My wifes Tahoe Z71 with nobby tires is much quieter than my Cadi with the Michelins. What gives? I have 18K on these tires and they got to go. I see Goodyear ads for a tire with Kevlar in the tread to supress noise. Anybody got any info or experience with these? Something has got to be quieter. Has anyone played with tire pressures to see if that has any effect? What is on the 2006's? Are they the same Michelins? Any word yet on 2007's? GM has to be aware of the noise problem. If not, I want to take a GM mgr on a ride!!!!!

c2000
06-28-06, 12:09 PM
was getting a howling noise from mine..took it in and found that the inner side of the right front was wearing ,,out of alignment..I talked to the dealer and we are going to align the front and switch the front tires,,see if that helps and if not it looks like two new tires for me or a complete set of new tires. ( I really noticed the noise on a very smooth black top road, the cement interstate is so loud that it covered up the howling)
Jerry in Minnesota.

bert5468
07-03-06, 09:55 PM
Took mine to a professional tire and alignment shop. Found all four wheels seriously out of alignment. I also had serious wear to the insides of the front tires. After new alignment and lowering the air pressure to 28 PSI, I was surprised how that lowered the noise level. However, with the wear on the insides of the fronts, the noise will never stop unless I replace the tires. This dealer sells about 5 different brands but was surprised to find the Michelin HX the only tire to fit this car. Nuts! 18K miles and I need tires!

ascariSTS
07-04-06, 12:42 AM
I suggest Michelin Pilot Sport 2... the new pilot sport

Michelin's MXM that comes with the STS is horrible... but try the pilot sport 2.. they are like a dream

marvt
07-06-06, 11:18 AM
Have learned from a tire dealer that the MXM that comes with the car has wear indicators built into the tire that appear after 18-20,000 miles and contribute to the moise. Haven't been able to confirm this or see them on my tires. Also have heard from a number of Caddy dealers that this tire was designed for the car and should not change to another tire. I've told they need to redesign.
MarvT

c2000
07-09-06, 06:02 PM
Had my front end aligned and switched tires from side to side and the noise is much better..I think it was an alignment problem from the factory,,I never hit any pot holes .....

Jerry in Minnesota.

vickyinala
07-18-06, 04:07 PM
By now some of you must be changing tires on your 2005 STS V-6. The original equipment Michelin's were terrible-road noise unbelievable. Any suggesting of tires to cure this problem Willing to pay whatever it takes.
MarvT

I just replaced my original tires on my '05 STS. Those tires SUCKED. :mad:

But the Eagle F1's that I put on are God like. :worship:

Don't listen to people who tell you that you can't put F1's on your STS. You CAN!

bert5468
07-25-06, 06:31 PM
What size F-1's? And, what size wheels, they are different for the V6 and V8.

CJF Denver
11-28-06, 12:56 AM
Hey Folks, what size wheels do you all have? I just reached 5,000 miles on my '06 STS and have now learned I can not rotate the tires because they are different sizes front to back. I have the v-6 luxury and performance package that puts 235/50 R17 on 8" wide wheels on the front and 255/45 R17 on 8.5" wheels on the rear.

Dealer recommeneded I replace the 255/45 R17 with 235s so I can rotate the tires as recommended by Michlelen. However my local tire shop tells me I would have to remount the tires at each rotation because the 8.5s can not be put on the front. (suppose I could by new wheels)

I have e-mailed Michelen to see if the Michelin Pilot HK MXM4 can rotate in both directions, allowing me to at least rotate side to side. Many of the Tires mentioned above, like the Pilot Sport A/S have unidirectional tread. Assumed this wouldbe the case with the V series, but never thought I would have this situation with the V-6.