: Two Real Easy Mechanical Questions

Timothy60
06-20-06, 08:57 PM
1. What size socket is needed for the wheel bearing nut on a 93 Fleetwood?

2. If a brake disc is just slightly warped, could that cause a vibration even when the brakes are NOT applied?

Thanks,
Tim

Rick186
06-20-06, 09:21 PM
1 - You don't like big Crescent wrenches?

2 - I had a similar problem on my 79 Cordoba when the pistons stuck in the front calipers. Almost imperceptible warping of the right front rotor but it vibrated like mad.
A bit of machine-truing and new caliper fixed the problem. Could this happen to your Cadillac?

Timothy60
06-21-06, 07:45 AM
I'm going to look into it as a possibility. Thanks for the info.

zonie77
06-21-06, 11:11 AM
When you release the brake the pad should retract from the rotor. As Rick186 said, if the caliper is stuck the pad will stay in contact with the rotor and "bounce" if it has a high spot.

Timothy60
06-21-06, 01:51 PM
The pads do not retract from the rotors. The pads on both wheels touch the discs lightly and provide a slight amount of drag when I rotate the discs. Is that normal operation?

scurling
06-21-06, 07:02 PM
Maybe I don't know the '93, as I have the '94, but you don't need a socket for the wheel bearing. The castle nut isn't suppose to be tight enough to require a socket wrench. I understand this doesn't answer your question, and maybe you just want to know for the sake of sizing. A good pair of channel locks or vise grips will do if that's all you have.

Timothy60
06-21-06, 07:51 PM
OK. The factory service manual has a torque specification for this castle nut and I wanted to get it right so I thought that I'd use a socket.

scurling
06-21-06, 09:40 PM
Tim

Should of known you were looking for accurate info. and not a "shade tree SWAG."

Your item, #31 on the drawing, req. a mear 12 Ft-lbs. The Hulkster could almost apply that with his bare hands.
Guess you dove in head first on that front end, eh?

See the two scans on my web site. Use the magnify to see the scan. It's rather light.

http://members.cox.net/scurling/FrontWheelSuspensionDrwng.jpg
http://members.cox.net/scurling/FrontWheelSuspensionLegend.jpg