: Oil OIl Everywhere Not a drop to spare

GreenWithEnvy
06-19-06, 05:00 PM
Ok so heres how it goes I bought a 97 Deville About a month Ago WITH the oil pan leaking ive tryed tighting them but it still leaks. Im pretty sure its the gasket so now im off to gm to get a gasket. and when i replace it in going to put synthetic Oil in it Heres the stuff http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/auto.html

Ranger
06-19-06, 07:48 PM
I assume you know your gonna have to drop the engine to get the pan off.

GreenWithEnvy
06-19-06, 08:08 PM
Nooooooo Isnt There Another Way

Ranger
06-19-06, 10:08 PM
Not that I am aware of. Are you sure it is the pan and not the halfcase?

danbuc
06-19-06, 10:26 PM
Either way, it's still a nightmare. I have a minor have case leak (more or less just seepage) but I was gonna try and ghet up there and see where it ws leaking fom, clean it off, and then put a small bead of high-temp RTV around the edge of the gasket to help stop it up. It's not perfect, but it's better than spending two grand to have the engine ripped apart. Same goes for the oil pan. If it's not leaking all the way around, look to see where it leaking from, and see if you can clean it up, and put some RTV around it. Might just help keep that oil in there a little longer.

edit: ALso, are you seriously gonna buy a case of Royal Purple every time you do an oil change? I mean, other than the fact that you can tell your buddies that your oil is purple, it's not going to make a real improvement in performance, or life of the oil. And if your leaking it out, it's just money down the drain (no pun intended).

GreenWithEnvy
06-20-06, 03:54 PM
Well strory gone bad when i was off to get the gasket My engine overheated
and ALMOST Turn in to a brick so TG i was close to the gm place I was with my dad at the time (Not the wiz of automobles) Broght to them i could See the $ $ in there eyes. long story short Its Bad water pump New radator New gasket new altanater So Abought $2500 :holycrap: :crybaby:

GreenWithEnvy
06-21-06, 09:00 PM
well got it back today everything's all better :2thumbs:. went tru the codes (History) And Found "B2511"="Steering Wheel Controls Conv Key Stuck"
does any body know why it would say that everything is fine but i know what they did. and would it be OK if i switch to synthetic Oil

Ranger
06-21-06, 09:28 PM
Synthetic may make it leak worse.

white97deville
06-21-06, 09:34 PM
Broght to them i could See the $ $ in there eyes. long story short Its Bad water pump New radator New gasket new altanater So Abought $2500 :holycrap: :crybaby:

That's a lot of $$$ for the parts you mention. I've yet to buy an alternator but a radiator cost me around $250-275 and a water pump about $60 from NAPA.

Glad that you are running again.

GreenWithEnvy
06-22-06, 04:54 PM
yea i know but the "smart" people at cadillac. you got to rip out the engine to do any work

GreenWithEnvy
06-22-06, 04:59 PM
PS: ITS STILL LEAKS got to bring it back its free Woo Hoo

Mitch3
06-23-06, 10:38 AM
Oh Boy! Another oil leak problem. I guess every Northstar engine ever made has oil leaks. I've had my 94 Eldorado for almost four years. Bought it at a used car lot and it was leaking then. Several mechanics have checked and tell me it is the oil pan. One guy used the RTV method which did help but not for long. The oil leak is not really bad enough to bother me except when I stop at a toll booth or anywhere after a fairly long drive and you can really smell the burning off the exhaust and sometimes a bit of smoke. People give you that look like WOW... YOUR CAR IS BURNING....... That brings me to my question. Is there any danger that this can cause a real fire? My wife refuses to drive with me on a long trip because she insists the car will explode.

Ranger
06-25-06, 07:27 PM
Not a chance.

Mountie
06-27-06, 12:53 AM
I have an alternative for ATV sealant. Much better, use "Great Stuff". It's liquid rubber. VERY - VERY sticky, will hold up for 30 years, and as long as the surface is C L E A N , it will hold up a leak. It's the replacement for the North* 'o' ring gasgets, also. The Dealer service mechanics use it, in place of the 'o' ring.

The second location for an oil leak is the cover panel behind the harmonic balancer at the lower area. Remove the inner fender plastic and you can get to some of it.