: 4t80-e transmission leakage

jtkirk5598
02-01-04, 03:34 PM
Hello all,

I have a '94 Concours that recently developed a catastrophic leak. It leaks down when the transmission is running, and the leak appears to be coming from somewhere inside the bellhousing as the fluid is running down the bottom of the bellhousing and down the oilpan. I suspected a cracked case, because it leaks very badly and before a recent cold front that brought us -25 F temperatures, it never leaked a drop. I suppose it could be the torque converter seal, but the torque converter itself appears relatively dry, and the ones that I've seen leak before have always had a wet torque converter. Anyways, if anyone has any experience with large scale leaks like I am experiencing (probably a cup a minute) that are somewhat variable (sometimes it won't leak for like a minute or two and then start gushing again) let me know please. I assume I'm gonna have to pull the transmission to ascertain where the problem is but any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Nick

BeelzeBob
02-02-04, 03:14 PM
Hello all,

I have a '94 Concours that recently developed a catastrophic leak. It leaks down when the transmission is running, and the leak appears to be coming from somewhere inside the bellhousing as the fluid is running down the bottom of the bellhousing and down the oilpan. I suspected a cracked case, because it leaks very badly and before a recent cold front that brought us -25 F temperatures, it never leaked a drop. I suppose it could be the torque converter seal, but the torque converter itself appears relatively dry, and the ones that I've seen leak before have always had a wet torque converter. Anyways, if anyone has any experience with large scale leaks like I am experiencing (probably a cup a minute) that are somewhat variable (sometimes it won't leak for like a minute or two and then start gushing again) let me know please. I assume I'm gonna have to pull the transmission to ascertain where the problem is but any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Nick

Doubt seriously that it would be a cracked case or anything like that....

Have you put an eye on the cooler lines and fittings and connections to be sure that it isn't a cooler line.

Also, dumb as it sounds, how about the power steering pump/lines..??? The PS pump is at the front of the engine at the front of the valley of the engine. If a leak at the reservoir or connection from the pump happens it will often flood into the valley of the engine. Eventually it will run out the back of the engine as the block has weep holes in the valley for "drainage" . The weep holes will channel any leakage into the valley down the back of the block onto the trans bellhousing as you describe. Check the PS pump/reservour/lines/fittings carefully. Not the first time a PS leak was confused with trans fluid.

Possibly the cold temps/high oil pressures caused a cooler line or a PS line to burst or a fitting fail at a crimp....

jtkirk5598
02-03-04, 11:17 AM
This leak is NOT a power steering system leak. The fluid is as pink as pink can be and I put the car up on jackstands to verify wherey the leak is coming from. It's got to be the torque converter seal, and a couple techs I know confirmed that the seal probably twisted around the torque converter and this is why it leaks so damn bad. What irks me is how much of a pain it is to take the tranny out of these cars... I'm not looking forward to it, as that will shoot a weekend to hell. Well, thanks for the input!

Nick

Lawrence
02-15-04, 03:57 AM
It will shoot more than one weekend to hell to be sure. bbobynshi is right, don't over look PS fluid in the engine valley. It also is pink in color and will run out right at the bell housing. I would especially suspect it because of the intermitant flow. This could be the PS fluid in the valley building up and then purging. Usally a front trans seal will leak consistantly, bad. It is easy to check. Get a real bright flashlight, not a trouble light, and look down into the valley between the heads, under the intake manifold, to the rear of the PS resevoir. If needed probe with something long down in there. May not be the problem but at least visually eliminate it.

jtkirk5598
11-28-11, 09:24 PM
I never did update this thread. I pulled the transmission out, replaced the torque converter seal even though it looked good. I put it back in after inspecting it, and it poured out in a continuous stream of transmission oil all over the floor. I took it back out, used UV dye and found a huge crack coming from the input shaft area. Apparently this was leaking under pressure. I had a standby transmission waiting to go so I put it in the same night.

maeng9981
11-29-11, 05:23 AM
WOW! Wonder how did that happen.....

vincentm
11-29-11, 12:55 PM
Any pictures?

jtkirk5598
11-29-11, 09:13 PM
No idea whatsoever. I have heard of a couple of these transmissions developing a case crack and leaking, but this one was rather ridiculous. There was a cold snap, and I don't know if maybe there was condensation in the case and it cracked or what. It certainly wasn't because of WOT activity. My 55 year old aunt was borrowing it from me when it happened. I wouldn't have thought to take photos 7 years ago when this happened or else it would make for great fun. I'd love to watch the video of the transmission oil gushing out into a drip pan for entertainment.

WOW! Wonder how did that happen.....

maeng9981
11-30-11, 05:31 AM
7 years ago

Oh my. I did not notice the original thread is 7 years old! I am currently in process of transmission replacement due to what it seems to be an internal failure. Transmission would puke all the fluid out while running and I lost 1st/3rd/4th gear. I always believed the 4T80E would have no problems but all the bad luck comes to me. Please welcome me to the club for people who needed another 4T80E. :)

jtkirk5598
12-02-11, 08:03 PM
Our club welcomes you with open arms. Come have a drink with us. Open beers are much more useful. :)

Oh my. I did not notice the original thread is 7 years old! I am currently in process of transmission replacement due to what it seems to be an internal failure. Transmission would puke all the fluid out while running and I lost 1st/3rd/4th gear. I always believed the 4T80E would have no problems but all the bad luck comes to me. Please welcome me to the club for people who needed another 4T80E. :)