Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Caddy Man 
#1 ·
What do you think? How do owners of newer vehicles feel about build quality? The SRX, CTS, XLR.. Are they quiet inside? How's the wind noise? How's the road noise? How do they handle? How do they feel over bumps? Is everything easy to access? Are the interiors cheap or improved?

Let's hear some progress reports...

#2 ·
Sal Collaziano said:
What do you think? How do owners of newer vehicles feel about build quality? The SRX, CTS, XLR.. Are they quiet inside? How's the wind noise? How's the road noise? How do they handle? How do they feel over bumps? Is everything easy to access? Are the interiors cheap or improved?

Let's hear some progress reports...
When I bought my CTS almost two years ago, my wife and I drove every "near luxury" model available at the time: from Lexus to BMW to Jag. Lots of items were close, or up for debate, but one thing was clearly in the CTS's favor. It was the quietest, best riding and most solid of the bunch. After two years, it still doesn't have a rattle, squeek or whistle, although the tires are performing like two year old tires - a little stiff and a little hard. I'm just rolling on the miles until I get a free new set, thanks to a Caddy customer satisfaction recall. I'm more than satisfied.

#3 ·
I believe it has improved. And I think that the improvements started over five years ago. That's why I think we're in an unusual period where you can still pick up high-quality luxury cars on the cheap. Dealers are heavily discounting, and the used market is very depressed.

You can get a 2-year-old DeVille with less than 30,000 miles for well under half it's original sticker. I don't think there's any comparable car going that cheap.

#4 ·
Elvis said:
I believe it has improved. And I think that the improvements started over five years ago. That's why I think we're in an unusual period where you can still pick up high-quality luxury cars on the cheap. Dealers are heavily discounting, and the used market is very depressed.

You can get a 2-year-old DeVille with less than 30,000 miles for well under half it's original sticker. I don't think there's any comparable car going that cheap.
Good observation. And lets all remember one thing, the only reason it depreciates that much is because of the PERCEPTION of inferior quality. :yup: We don't need to feed the BMW lovers on this Forum any more tripe. ;)

#5 ·
I can tell you that even on the current Devilles and Sevilles, the build quality and overall quality of the vehicle content has improved markedly even over just the last two years.

Everything from panel fits, metal finish, wind noise, and interior rattles to cup holders, seat belt latches, and user interface details have been improved significantly.

Hopefully more people will start to notice.

#6 ·
I purchased a new 2002 DeVille and have put about 25k on the odometer. The one thing that really torks me off is the persistent dash rattle that the dealer has a hard time fixing. That and the occaisional odd HVAC noise lead me to believe that GM is still not serious about improving the build quality of the cards.

#7 · (Edited)
My dad's 2003 *STS* is a fine car, but the interior is a little cheap...the cupholders don't latch closed (2nd time it has happened after being fixed once) and the center console feels cheap and doesn't latch close unless you jimmy it a little. One of the plastic pieces on the passenger door exterior is loose as well. Finally, I don't know if it is the RDS feature or the radio that is broke, but the RDS radio station text flickers different letters.

*edit

#8 ·
Chuck C said:
My dad's 2003 is a fine car, but the interior is a little cheap...the cupholders don't latch closed (2nd time it has happened after being fixed once) and the center console feels cheap and doesn't latch close unless you jimmy it a little. One of the plastic pieces on the passenger door exterior is loose as well. Finally, I don't know if it is the RDS feature or the radio that is broke, but the RDS radio station text flickers different letters.
Does your Dad have a 2003 Deville also? I noticed that with his about the center consule also, as well as all the plastic on the switches, etc. Overall IMO the interior is a nice place to be. ;)

#11 ·
Sal Collaziano said:
Even with these problems, are they generally moving in the right direction? Has build quality improved overall?
I would think so, and quality surveys done by the likes of JD POWER back that statement up. ;) Even in 1991, my brochure discusses the use of lazers to probe into over 600 areas of the vehicle to ensure proper fitting, etc. I would think that with much more powerful computers today, and technology, it would be much better today.

Does anyone know to what extent robots, or automated technology play in the making of a modern Cadillac, or any car at GM for that matter? I would hope these things are not putting people out of work?!

#12 ·
I think more/less now there have to be people to watch the robots do their job... There is some assy done by the people, but Im not sure to what extent it is.. MOst of the time robots are used where it would be unsafe for people to be used, or where more presicion would be needed (IE welding, and painting)

I have a feeling the sigma platform is going to be the best thing to happen to cadillac in 10 years.....

#13 ·
Ill bite... I was impressed with alot of things about my 2001 STS when I had it, but one thing that urked me like no other was the PERSISTENT rattle that I had from the dash, as well as some things I just didnt expect, like a broken switchplate for the drivers side seat adjusters, and a broken heated seat (well ok Ill be honest I sort of expected the seat problem, NO car Ive owned save for the BRAND NEW Passat, and the BMW has had an operational drivers side heater). I did love the power of the car and the PERCEPTION of quality and the flowing interior everytime I got in, it just really wrapped you in luxury in a way few cars can.

#14 ·
Playdrv4me said:
Ill bite... I was impressed with alot of things about my 2001 STS when I had it, but one thing that urked me like no other was the PERSISTENT rattle that I had from the dash, as well as some things I just didnt expect, like a broken switchplate for the drivers side seat adjusters, and a broken heated seat (well ok Ill be honest I sort of expected the seat problem, NO car Ive owned save for the BRAND NEW Passat, and the BMW has had an operational drivers side heater). I did love the power of the car and the PERCEPTION of quality and the flowing interior everytime I got in, it just really wrapped you in luxury in a way few cars can.
i agree...i love my DTS, but u can tell there are a few quailty issues, such as dash lights burning out, consisten rattles where subwoofer is located, wind noise comin from the rear passenger windows at freeway speeds. the car looks great and all i get is compliments but a lot of these issues annoy me that you wouldnt find in many imports. but then again i had the first year model change and all that, so that mite also be a reason.

#15 · (Edited)
Playdrv4me said:
:confused: "Perception" of quality! :confused: (ok, I won't go there)

Question: When you had the STS, it was quite new. Under warrenty? Did you take it in for the rattle? I would also have tried to get the seat heater fixed if it was that new! Hell, my stepdad wrote Cadillac a letter about the radio that spazzed out last year and end up costing me 355 dollars, and the car was 12 years old!! But because of the mileage and storage on my 1991, it WAS a bad circut in the radio.(yes, their fault!)

But seriously, I would have tested EVERY button and option in that STS to know what I was buying. That's why for a used car, I will always go to a dealer, because you usually get a month or two of warrenty. Like I stated on that other thread, I would feel confident in buying any newer Caddy, but it also depends on how the owner treated it, service records kept, options for repair, etc. Higher mileage anything, and we are taking a chance. ;)

#16 ·
I would not say Caddy is perfect I have had a front end vibration problem and dash rattles. But I will say I have never had a stop me on the side of the road problem. Unlike the friends of mine with a 7 Series BMW! But the quality is improving by leaps and bounds. Alot of it is perception for years Bmw and Mercedes have been seen as reliable cars and they are not. Finally people are starting to realize. So after we beat MB for #3 time to put Lexus quality in our eyesights they are the 800 lb Gorilla of the segment! :want:

#17 ·
i dont think relibailty is the issue at hand concerning american and import cars like BMW and mercedes, a mercedes or bmw will break down on you too, I think the issue is more build quality. such as the quilty of materials and fit and finish. Let me tell you, the fit and finish in a lexus, mercedes or bmw is on a higher scale than that of an american car. but american cars are moving up. I love my DTS, but u can tell teh fit adn finish and plastics arent as upscale as some of the other brands. I drove a 2002 Chevy Impala (base trim) and the plastics on teh dash and the door handle were very cheap and hallow feeling, i would much rather go for a Nissan Altima 2.5 than a CHevy Impala (base trim).

#18 ·
Caddy Man said:
i dont think relibailty is the issue at hand concerning american and import cars like BMW and mercedes, a mercedes or bmw will break down on you too, I think the issue is more build quality. such as the quilty of materials and fit and finish. Let me tell you, the fit and finish in a lexus, mercedes or bmw is on a higher scale than that of an american car. but american cars are moving up. I love my DTS, but u can tell teh fit adn finish and plastics arent as upscale as some of the other brands. I drove a 2002 Chevy Impala (base trim) and the plastics on teh dash and the door handle were very cheap and hallow feeling, i would much rather go for a Nissan Altima 2.5 than a CHevy Impala (base trim).
Of course no car is perfect, but I thought the build-quality, and over-all quality of Cadillacs IS better than the Europeans? We've mentioned these findings from JD Power, it's like a cliche already. ;) Even though Cadillac may not use buttons that are hand polished steel, the quality and durability have been tested. They may just be keeping the price lower by using plastic components, rather than steel.

You make a good point about the fit and finish, and I know you are having trouble with you rear-deck still? But don't you think since 2000, the new ones might have hopefully addressed these little issues? I hope they have, because how else was Cadillac able to be #2. Now Caddy has to gun for Lexus, and I just discovered that one of their SUV's has a nightvision system that came out last year! Supposedly, they are saying it's better than Cadillacs!

#19 ·
Ralph said:
Of course no car is perfect, but I thought the build-quality, and over-all quality of Cadillacs IS better than the Europeans? We've mentioned these findings from JD Power, it's like a cliche already. ;) Even though Cadillac may not use buttons that are hand polished steel, the quality and durability have been tested. They may just be keeping the price lower by using plastic components, rather than steel.

You make a good point about the fit and finish, and I know you are having trouble with you rear-deck still? But don't you think since 2000, the new ones might have hopefully addressed these little issues? I hope they have, because how else was Cadillac able to be #2. Now Caddy has to gun for Lexus, and I just discovered that one of their SUV's has a nightvision system that came out last year! Supposedly, they are saying it's better than Cadillacs!
i think ure right about my car being a 2000, because i heard that the 2002 DTS, thety adresses all the little issues in that car, and i heard the 02 model was also more solid feeling than mine. that is probably the case too. but dont get me wrong, i think thier build quilty and populatiry is moving up very quickly! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.