: back glass blown out

00 STS
02-01-04, 03:36 PM
so i was driving my girlfirned home last night when all of a sudden, my entire rear windshield cracks into a million pieces with no warning. i sounded like a gunshot or large rock smacking my car. has this ever happened to anyone before? it was very cold out but come on.....i've never seen that happen before. the rest of the car is fine but the back glass is destroyed. what could've done this? i wasn't running the rear defrost and i find it hard to believe some ***** was hiding in the trees at 1:30am with temps in the single digits waiting for a car to drive by. what kind of cost am i looking at to replace the glass? i'm going to call the insurance company monday, but i'm at a loss on how this happened. there are no holes or "divits" in the glass. just complete shatter and some separation on the far sides of the glass by the c-pillars. :crying2: :crying: :crying2:

bob2231
02-01-04, 04:13 PM
so i was driving my girlfirned home last night when all of a sudden, my entire rear windshield cracks into a million pieces with no warning. i sounded like a gunshot or large rock smacking my car. has this ever happened to anyone before? it was very cold out but come on.....i've never seen that happen before. the rest of the car is fine but the back glass is destroyed. what could've done this? i wasn't running the rear defrost and i find it hard to believe some ***** was hiding in the trees at 1:30am with temps in the single digits waiting for a car to drive by. what kind of cost am i looking at to replace the glass? i'm going to call the insurance company monday, but i'm at a loss on how this happened. there are no holes or "divits" in the glass. just complete shatter and some separation on the far sides of the glass by the c-pillars. :crying2: :crying: :crying2: Are you anywhere near that psycho in Columbus ? Or a copycat ?
Bob

00 STS
02-01-04, 07:22 PM
i'm not that close to columbus. but the more i looked at it today and examined some digital pics i took, i can think of only 2 explanations. a chunck of ice could've hit the window, but there are no other signs of an object hitting the paint or anywhere near where the impact point on the glass was. the second being a stray bullet ricoched of the glass. there is a visible mark of something striking the glass hard enough to discolor the black edge around the glass but didn't make a hole. scary. absolutely scary. i don't even want to think what would've happened had i been a second slower.

bob2231
02-01-04, 09:00 PM
i'm not that close to columbus. but the more i looked at it today and examined some digital pics i took, i can think of only 2 explanations. a chunck of ice could've hit the window, but there are no other signs of an object hitting the paint or anywhere near where the impact point on the glass was. the second being a stray bullet ricoched of the glass. there is a visible mark of something striking the glass hard enough to discolor the black edge around the glass but didn't make a hole. scary. absolutely scary. i don't even want to think what would've happened had i been a second slower. You need to call the cops Monday too. They need to know about that. If I remember right from when I lived in Ohio, your insurance will cover the replacement, and on a winshield, front or back, there should be no deductable.
Bob

00 STS
02-02-04, 12:21 AM
yeah, i plan on making a couple phone calls monday. i'd hate to jump to conclusions about the damage being from a bullet, but from what i see i think it really could've been, or at the very least a pellet gun. the car can always be fixed....people can't. for that i am thankful. i can't believe people are still that stupid nowadays.

Ralph
02-02-04, 03:39 AM
That's freaky man, glad you guys are ok! My guess is some dumb-ass kids walking home and threw a rock or something? I'll never forget about 10 years ago I was stopped at a red light on a hot day, window down, arm out, and this giant jagged rock goes flying just past my windshield from the left to the right! I quickly glanced and I see a pack of teens running like the cowards they are down the back lane! If it hit the side of my head I would not be here!! When it's cold, glass is more likely to break IMO. But that doesn't explain this.