: Resonator Question..

Caddilicious
02-01-04, 02:07 PM
Hello,

Is the resonator in my 95 Deville Concours basically the same thing as a glass pack muffler? Also, if I replace it with an aftermarket glasspack, can I expect any performance and sound improvements? Thanks in advance, this place kicks ass...

BeelzeBob
02-02-04, 03:59 PM
Hello,

Is the resonator in my 95 Deville Concours basically the same thing as a glass pack muffler? Also, if I replace it with an aftermarket glasspack, can I expect any performance and sound improvements? Thanks in advance, this place kicks ass...
No, it isn't a glass pack and I would seriously doubt that you would get any performance improvement with a glass pack. If anything it might make more exhaust backpressure. Most glasspacks do not flow very well despite being "straight thru" and loud. Besides, the resonator does little or nothing to hamper performance...it is tuned for a specific resonance that the muffler normally cannot attenuate. If you want a little more exhaust "tone" and eliminate whatever backpressure the resonator makes just eliminate it with a straight pipe rather than a glass pack.

Caddilicious
02-03-04, 01:26 AM
No, it isn't a glass pack and I would seriously doubt that you would get any performance improvement with a glass pack. If anything it might make more exhaust backpressure. Most glasspacks do not flow very well despite being "straight thru" and loud. Besides, the resonator does little or nothing to hamper performance...it is tuned for a specific resonance that the muffler normally cannot attenuate. If you want a little more exhaust "tone" and eliminate whatever backpressure the resonator makes just eliminate it with a straight pipe rather than a glass pack.
Thank you, guess I'll only replace the mufflers then and leave the resonator...