: Prestone EG coolant "new formula"? for 95 SLS N*

41V
06-16-06, 10:19 AM
Ready for coolant change on 95 SLS N* at 105k, currently has green EG, don't know when last changed, engine has no problems

Any experience with Prestone "new" formula, I think it's been out for a while so not really "new". I can't find the old formula anywhere, seems this replaced it.

Same yellow jug, label states:
New formula
All Makes
All Models
Mix with any color antifreeze
Extended Life up to 150,000 mile 5 year protection

1. Any known issues, or success stories, with this new formula?
2. Is there another brand that would be preferred?
3. How does this new formula factor into the EG/Dex debate? (I know the 95 didn't come with dex, just wondering)

I'm planning on draining from lower hose, adding 2 tubes of Bar's Leak G12BP, refilling with 50/50 coolant/distilled water. I will use this new stuff unless compelling reason to switch to something else, and probably change out every 2 years regardless what label says.

Thanks in advance.
-Bob in NJ

Ranger
06-16-06, 12:00 PM
I would think that stuff will be fine as long as you stick to the 2 year change intervals. You can use Dex but will not get the extended change intervals because once green has been used, it plates the water jacket with silicates. I don't know why this "New Formula" would be any different.

clarkz71
06-16-06, 12:40 PM
I use the "New" Prestone. It say's it has "a concentrated blend of premium long lasting inhibitors designed to last UP TO 5 years or 150K". It's at least as good as Dex Cool. I still don't think any coolant should be run more than 2 years. I wouldn't risk a possible headgasket over $20 or $30 worth of coolant and an hour of time.

clarkz71
06-17-06, 01:56 PM
So............. what did you end up using??????

41V
06-19-06, 09:12 AM
yes, l'm trusting prestone with the new formula green stuff, already got it and going in this week

parts68
06-19-06, 08:24 PM
I hate to be a naysayer but I stick with Dexcool for all my cars that came from factory with it.
My 96 Rora just got changed (3rd time since new)and everything still looks like new inside.
Ive always heard that dexcool works fine if you purge all the air out of system
air+dexcool=brown sludge.
Also use distilled water 64 cent gal at walmart.

Ranger
06-19-06, 08:59 PM
I hate to be a naysayer but I stick with Dexcool for all my cars that came from factory with it.
My 96 Rora just got changed (3rd time since new)and everything still looks like new inside.
Ive always heard that dexcool works fine if you purge all the air out of system
air+dexcool=brown sludge.
Also use distilled water 64 cent gal at walmart.
Sounds like an internet myth. Not true in an aluminum engine. There is some truth to that in a cast iron engine. Dex does not plate the waterjacket with silicates like silicated green coolant does. Thus air will allow the iron to oxidize. Then when the engine is started and coolant sloshes through, it washes the rust out and it settles in the low flow areas. After many many cyles, the cooling system fails and the vehicle overheats and Dex gets blamed.:tisk:

clarkz71
06-20-06, 05:51 AM

That's fine since you have a 96, however as the thread topic indicates, 41V has a 1995 SLS. It came with green EG, not dexcool.

parts68
06-20-06, 07:03 PM
Maybe Ill start a new thread on this.
Ive found plenty of brown sludge on all aluminum engines
that were open for a long time.