: Getting Second Rear End - Finally

BeastMaster
06-15-06, 10:21 AM
OK I'm getting my second rear end - this time the 06 model. What can i do to preserve it (other than not drive the car)?

Is there a recommended breakin??

Will changing the diff fluid every oil change help it???

Any help anyone can give I would really appreciate - I DONT want to go through this aggravation again.

Below is the story of what has occurred. I have to admit that through it all everyone i dealt with was very pleasant. For Lindsay Cadillac - James and those guys are the best and well worth the 500+ mile drive.:2thumbs:

First rear end was replaced at 5000 miles with the same 05 rear end. 6000 miles later the whine started again. dealer said - they test drove the car and didn't hear anything. When I took them for a test drive, they then heard it but - stated that it was normal. So I setup to talk to the Regional Rep. The Regional Rep came and said he heard it but it was from the transmission and all manuals make that noise. He then went on to say that GM had gone to a lighter oil in the transmission so it was noisier - I asked if I could go to a heavier oil - He said he would check. We got back to the dealership and he got on the phone. After 30 minutes he was still on the phone and I had a meeting to get to. The service manager said thet either he or the Regional Rep would get back to me before the end of the day (that was May 25th). On May 31st I took a drive to Virginia to have Lindsay Cadillac look at the car. They put in my UUC shifter and Volant CAI (I just hadn't had the time to do it). They also put in Specter Bushing and my squeaking rear end was gone (the squeak not the whine). James felt that the rear end was definitely going. Monday (June 12th), I called my Service manager since they never got back to me from the 31st. Gues what I was told "Glad you called your new rear end just came in" I said - your putting in a new rear end???? :hmm: They said yes the Regional Rep was told by the engineers that there were rear ends that went out with the wrong preload. So after giving myself an ulcer and doubting my sanity - what should of been done 3000 miles ago is finally being done.:bouncy:

tweeter81
06-15-06, 12:33 PM
Recommended break-in period = 500 miles.
1) no hard launches
2) no wheelhop
3) don't drive at constant speed for any long period of time
4) at 1000 miles change out the fluid for Royal Purple (I just had my diff changed about 1000 miles ago and I plan on doing this in a couple of weeks)

Tags63
06-15-06, 01:11 PM
Hey BeastMaster!!
Glad you got a new rear. Mine is whining and I didn't even start to mod it out like I'm planning too. I was wondering what dealer you use on the Island since I'm in Middle island. I am having a bunch of stuff put in after Labor Day by Lindsey since I'm driving south for a short trip anyways.

Thanks,
Paul

NH Vrod
06-15-06, 02:29 PM
I say drive it they way you would should drive a 400 HP 50 K car!!

If the diff is good then you are set, if not GM has to replace it!!
You guys kill me the way you baby these things, changing the oil every oil change? I have never heard of any car having to have this done? If the pieces of shit diffs are bad then GM needs to replace them, why spend all this money out of your pocket to help support them? Just your luck you will baby this thing long enough for the warrantee to run out then it blows, screw that run it, run it hard! That’s what it is built for, or should be built for.

That’s my 2 cents.

BadCad
06-15-06, 04:33 PM
:yeah:
I say drive it they way you would should drive a 400 HP 50 K car!!

except as soon as you drive it, it is a $30K car...

BeastMaster
06-15-06, 04:45 PM
Paul
I've been using Atlantic Cadillac. If your rear end is beginning to whine I would recommend talkint to James at Lindsay. Byt the time you go down there it should be pretty loud. it's a great ride down - especially in the middle of the night. I usually leave between midnight and 1 and pull into their lot at 6:00. They open at 7:15 or 7:30.

VRod
I just went through a Love/Hate relationship with this car and a lot of unpleasantry with the dealer - if I can do something to help prevent a problem - I don't mind spending a few bucks. Thats why I paid to hav ethe Specter bushing put in.

Tags63
06-21-06, 01:03 AM
BeastMaster......

Thanks. I'll definitely be heading down that way and plan on doing a few things at Lindsey. As far as Atlantic, well I'm anti-Atlantic and it's nothing to do with my Caddy. I've dealt with Sarant in the past when I had other Caddy's but was hoping to deal with a dealer closer to home.

Paul:)

Silver Dollar
06-21-06, 06:47 AM
Unless you're getting some type of contamination in your rear end (i.e. water), there should be no reason to change your differential fluid for at least 50,000 miles, if ever.

Remember, the reason for changing your crankcase oil frequently is due to contamination build up from the act of combustion.

If you change your differential fluid every 3K miles you're just throwing money away......in my opinion.

urbanski
06-21-06, 04:45 PM
Unless you're getting some type of contamination in your rear end (i.e. water), there should be no reason to change your differential fluid for at least 50,000 miles, if ever.

Remember, the reason for changing your crankcase oil frequently is due to contamination build up from the act of combustion.

If you change your differential fluid every 3K miles you're just throwing money away......in my opinion.
lol
you ever see a drain plug from a V after the first 1K miles of its life? 5K miles?

Silver Dollar
06-25-06, 04:08 AM
No, but I will :)

austin
06-25-06, 11:05 AM
Spring for the 2006 "V" halfshafts while it's in their... They are 1.50 diameter vs 1.25 the 2004-2005 got. That should give you more peace of mind..