: Feedback For Tires Please...dunlop?

ctsvflorida
06-14-06, 05:19 PM
I have had this file number to get credit for my tires for 3 months now and these Ocala people can't get the tires I wanted as they were on back order and now I can order them, I think! Anyway, he has Dunlop Direza DZ101's, non runflats, in stock for $190 a tire not incl. mount, etc. Are they any good? They seem to be a decent deal and he has them in stock. I do not need the best porformance tire but would love a little better ride and less noise from tires. Handling is not too important either, I like to go in a straight line. I was considering selling the car to get one worked already
(which I inquired about a month or so ago and got great responses but have busy with NY and Dad in Hospital) but will need new tires for the new owner anyway, if I go that route! Some feeback would be great on these tires and if I keep it I intend to do cam, rockers, headers, etc. soon. Thanks in advance!

One more thing, are there any run flats that do not ride like cement tires from Goodyear? RSA's are stiff too I've heard and quiet but think I need a bit more traction for the work coming, if I do the work! I will still consider them, maybe!

Koooop
06-14-06, 05:52 PM
They are quiet and they handle decent... But every once in while when the conditions are just right... WHAT OUT FOR UNDERSTEER! I've had to stab my brakes mid corner to push the nose down to regain traction. YIPE!

They suck ass!

They're so bad that I'm having the DUNLOP DIREZA DZ101s removed from my car. They are not a good match for the V.

I have a better deal for you... I have 4 used tires for free!

Oh yeah, they don't hook up for shit is a straight line.

(this is the sugar coated and censored version)

thebigjimsho
06-14-06, 06:17 PM
I have non RFT Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my V. I'm in the process of taking them off since I bought another set of stock rims with meaty F1s still on them. The SP Sport Maxx is a very comfortable tire that is exceptional in the rain and make no noise whatsoever. They have good grip as well but not like the F1s. I have 15,000 miles on them and they are maybe 30% worn. And they seem to wear evenly.

These will probably be for sale soon since I like the ride on rails feel of the F1s. One tire has a slow leak, however. But tha may very well be a leaky TPS, so I'll let you know hpw that turns out.

CVP33
06-14-06, 06:55 PM
I have non RFT Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my V. I'm in the process of taking them off since I bought another set of stock rims with meaty F1s still on them. The SP Sport Maxx is a very comfortable tire that is exceptional in the rain and make no noise whatsoever. They have good grip as well but not like the F1s. I have 15,000 miles on them and they are maybe 30% worn. And they seem to wear evenly.

These will probably be for sale soon since I like the ride on rails feel of the F1s. One tire has a slow leak, however. But tha may very well be a leaky TPS, so I'll let you know hpw that turns out.

Big Jim knows tires. I believe the Sport Maxx's are the Audi factory tire now for their S series.

ctsvflorida
06-14-06, 07:18 PM
Big Jim knows tires. I believe the Sport Maxx's are the Audi factory tire now for their S series.

So you are saying the sport max is better than the DZ101's?

RedGalant2k1
06-14-06, 09:04 PM
We always recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Really should stay with runflats. The car was designed with runflats in mind.

StealthV
06-14-06, 09:43 PM
Runflats?

CVP33
06-14-06, 09:45 PM
We always recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Really should stay with runflats. The car was designed with runflats in mind.

WHAT? WHO? WHERE? WHEN? WHY? :eek:

StealthV
06-14-06, 09:50 PM
Being a F1 fan (4.5 sets and counting) I see the advantages of the tire but also its weaknesses. After all the other V owners quit giving their F1s away to me, I'm going runflat free.

Staxxin
06-14-06, 09:57 PM
I loved the feel of the F1's... I have to say, I get same feel from the
Toyo T1r's.

GASCARRACER
06-14-06, 10:19 PM
What is everybody using for a spare tire when not using EMT's?

Has any body Tried BF Goodrich G-Force TA KDWL's or Michlein Pilot Sports? How do they compare with the Goodyears?

RedGalant2k1
06-15-06, 12:47 AM
WHAT? WHO? WHERE? WHEN? WHY? :eek:

Well for one my customers want to keep runflats, they don't want to be without a spare and not have a runflat. Whether its a XLR, XLR-V, CTS-V, or any other vehicle with runflats thats really what the vehicle should keep on it. Thats why everyone generally comment that other tires are rather 'squishy' for lack of a better term.

RedGalant2k1
06-15-06, 12:48 AM
What is everybody using for a spare tire when not using EMT's?

They don't.

StealthV
06-15-06, 07:57 AM
Many of us, including myself, have spare tires in the trunk.

One can buy a Millie Miglia wheel from TireRack for a little over $100 along with a cheap tire to keep costs down.

Another option is to use a stock wheel and tire in the trunk.

We do.

StealthV
06-15-06, 08:10 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/spare/index.html

ctsvflorida
06-15-06, 10:22 AM
Many of us, including myself, have spare tires in the trunk.

One can buy a Millie Miglia wheel from TireRack for a little over $100 along with a cheap tire to keep costs down.

Another option is to use a stock wheel and tire in the trunk.

We do.

You know Rick, you're always on top of things! The only problem I have is that every car I've had, the first thing I do is REMOVE the spare to save weight! Now I am thinking of putting one in a car that never had one! :thepan: I'll probably just put a can of fix a flat in the car!:bouncy:
I think I really just need to go faster so that a spare will not have so much effect, in my mind at least! I can't remember the last time I had a flat! Is that a jinx or what?

Koooop
06-15-06, 11:02 AM
So you are saying the sport max is better than the DZ101's?

Yes, that's what he's saying.

Did I mention that the wet handling of the DZ101 is awful as well?

thebigjimsho
06-15-06, 02:28 PM
So you are saying the sport max is better than the DZ101's?I don't really know. I have never driven on them nor have I read much about them.

I really like my Dunlops and for most of the time, I enjoy driving on them. They are worlds better than the F1s in the rain and are a lot more comfortable. It's just you can't throw the V into the corner with reckless abandon like you could on the F1s. The Dunlops are a bit more lively. The F1 RFT is about as close in turning feel to a race slick as you can get. Very little squirm, very little squeal.

But starting this year, the V is not only a garage queen, but she won't be seeing snow anymore. Now I'll get to feel how some of my northern brethren feel when they don't drive their V for 5 months. Since she'll rarely see cold weather now and since any chance of snow is out of the question, the F1s and their incredible handling are enticing to me.

Then, when the F1s wear out, maybe I can try the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs. They come in both 245/45 and a 275/40 18...

ctsvflorida
06-15-06, 08:41 PM
Get this! Now, I go to the goodyear place and they say that they are not giving me a credit for whatever tires I want but I have to pay $170 per tire for any of their tires! Well, it isn't bad if you want FI's again as they told me that they are $507 EACH! Is this PRICE correct? Sounds ridiculous to me! So, at this point, what do you do? I tried to tell the corporate person that a month ago it was a credit or they actually said that I would have to pay for 40% of the tire, of any tire though! Keep in mind, I may be selling the car to purchase another one with many mods, heavy mods! I am lost on what to do...COMPLETELY! HELP!:alchi: :rant2: I think I will also start a new thread with this info. as I need an answer for the local tire guy by tomorrow because I had 10k miles when I first got my file number and now have 14k! Yikes, too much driven!

Koooop
06-16-06, 02:40 PM
I've owned a few sets of Sport Max, great tire. I found them hard to get balanced properly though.

thebigjimsho
06-16-06, 02:59 PM
I've owned a few sets of Sport Max, great tire. I found them hard to get balanced properly though.Might be more your wheels. All I know is that mine have been very trouble free.

Koooop
06-16-06, 07:36 PM
Might be more your wheels. All I know is that mine have been very trouble free.

Probably, they were Primax wheels...

Tags63
06-21-06, 01:55 AM
Once I blow through these F1's, I'll be putting on Michelin Pilot Sports. I've put them on my ///M Bimmers and loved them. They work well on the road as well as the track wet weather and all. Screw the runflats.....

Paul

ctsvflorida
06-21-06, 08:17 AM
I got the GSD3's and they are great! I now have a set of stock wheels that I will sell, one at a time or a pair or whatever! I also have two 1/2 worn F1's evenly worn from the front of a car with 5/32 tread left. I figure many of you may want a spare so I will probably sell them separately. They are not perfect and on a scale of 1-10 they are: one is a 7, two are an 8, one is a 9 maybe. PM me if interested and leave your number.