: V864 parts?

N0DIH
06-14-06, 05:10 PM
I saw someone had some V864 parts detailed once. Is it still around?

The search came up dry, I think old threads get archived or deleted....

Thanks!!

The Ape Man
06-14-06, 09:12 PM
Howdy,

I did have 8/6/4 stuff but it's been gone for a year.
I can only get on 160 and 75/80 presently.

Dave. Ex W2APE.
Now W2VW.

Rick186
06-14-06, 10:55 PM
Valid point -

Dois this site have a SEARCH FUNCTION?

It might, but I might have missed it. If so feel free to correct this FNG :thepan:

BluEyes
06-15-06, 11:27 AM
I saw someone had some V864 parts detailed once. Is it still around?

The search came up dry, I think old threads get archived or deleted....

Thanks!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/500-472-425-368/37682-v8-6-4-findings.html

This one?

N0DIH
06-15-06, 12:51 PM
Yup!

So, where does one get these parts these days? Any new parts still around?

From the picts, I can't see how it turns the rocker arm adjustment. Does it move both intake and exhaust, or just intake?

What was the problems with it? Did it mechanically fail, or was it just not smooth operation?

CoupeDevilleRob
06-15-06, 08:42 PM
From what I can gather from talking to V864 owners it wasn't very smooth. When it de/reactivated cylinders it felt like a hard tranny shift. I guess Caddy owners didn't like all the jerking and bumping the system caused. I've also heard it was notorious for stalling, but no one I ever talked to complained about that. For the record I know two people who had 81 Caddies and they both liked the system.

BluEyes
06-15-06, 11:10 PM
The solenoid doesn't so much move an adjustment as act like a switch to turn 'on' or 'off' the rockers. Yes, it disables both intake and exhaust. When the solenoid is engaged, the gasses in the cylinder are trapped and act as an air spring.

When the solenoid engages, it turns that slotted metal plate slightly. Below the metal plate is a metal ring that looks kinda like the battlements on a castle tower.

Normally, the high points of this metal ring are pressing against the solid parts of the metal plate and the rocker pivots at the usual fulcrum.

When the top plate is turned by the solenoid, the high parts of that metal ring slide up through the holes in the plate. There is a spring inside there to controll the motion, but now the rocker is pivoting at the valve tip and compressing this second spring without moving the valve.

I don't know how well this system would work with hi-po valvesprings as that metal plate is what holds the rocker in place when the valve opens during V8 mode, but for stock valvesprings I'm sure it will last an eternity.

I pulled my set off an '81 in the junkyard. I believe this is the only source for these parts anymore. All my solenoids worked just fine, despite the buildup of crud on them. Maybe I should just grab whatever ones I find since they aren't getting any more plentiful with time...

You'll also need the (plastic) valvecovers that have the extra room for the solenoids as well as the spacer between the aircleaner and carb so the snorkel clears the valvecovers. I'd also pull the four sets of normal rockers so that whatever mouting system you use can be done on all cylinders. The 368 rockers also look a whole heck of alot more stable than those 'T' pedastals. The pushrods on a 472 and 368 have the same part number, so unless you want spares they can be left behind.

I have heard the same things as Rob, that the system just wasn't smooth.
The system was only enabled in 3rd gear, so when slowing down with a light foot on the brakes you'd drop down to the 3-2 shift and the other four cylinders would come back online and the car would suddenly not be slowing the same.
There was also the problem of V6 mode being unbalanced. The current cylinder dropping schemes on V8's have omitted V6 mode as well.

There was a guy over on cowboyseven who was really close to doing this on a 472/500 motor. I dl'd the pics of his mounting setup on the cylinder head some time ago. It actually required almost no modification to the head, really nice looking if you have access to the fabrication tools. Does anyone know if he actually got the car running? It would seem that once it is mounted on the head, all you need is a relay, a switch and some wires to do a simple V8-4 system on a carb'd car...

N0DIH
06-16-06, 02:20 PM
I would love to adapt this to my LT1. I'm getting 17-19 now, but no more than 21 highway (factory tow package car, so rpms are higher and shift points are higher). I have enabled a more agressive DFCO, but that isn't the answer either.

I can get some tall valve covers for a SBC, but don't know if they have them for a center bolt head.

I can only get on 160 and 75/80 presently.

Dave. Ex W2APE.
Now W2VW.

My uncle (W8MUA) just gave me his old 40/80 trap dipole. I have a monoband 40M dipole up now (fantastic SWR, 1.1 or better whole band!). I can run 80 once I get that one up, IF I have room, I was thinking of making it a Z shape, trying to keep the legs the symetrical....

BluEyes
06-22-06, 10:04 AM
Putting it on an LT1 would take a bit more work. I'm pretty sure the deactivation mechanism could be adapted to the SBC valvetrain, but you're going to have to modify the part itself because I don't think the rocker spacing is the same.

Making the electronics happy is likely to be the biggest hurdle. I'm thinking at the least you'll need to wire in some switches or relays to reroute the firing pulses for the right four injectors through a resistor of the correct ohm-age to ground. If the ECU doesn't 'see' that resistance, I can see an annoying 'SES' light popping up. It will also depend on how the ECU responds to the new inputs it recieves when the system is engaged. It certainly could be done, but would take a bit more work than on a carb'd engine.