: Automatic tire pressure monitor

1toycad
02-01-04, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have a Cadillac equipped with automatic tire pressure monitor system?

Has anyone had an automatic tire pressure monitor system installed in their cars?

If you have either of th eabove, do you like it? do you use it? has it ever come in handy in an emergency?

I am thinking of installing an ATPM fsustem for each of the cars in my family: my SLS, my wife's Yukon and my daughter's 300TE, but before I go through the expense I'd like to know if these systems are effectiv eand worth their cost.

Thank you.

Caddy Man
02-01-04, 12:22 PM
honestly bro, it would be nice to have, but if your goin throguih the trouble of trying to install a system on a car that didnt have it as a factory option, i think it would just be easier to check the tire pressure once a month.

ShadowLvr400
02-01-04, 01:42 PM
Unless you can get it free or nearly, it's probably not worth it. If you're truly worried about flats, or just running low, keep a gauge in the car, and eyball your tires before you drive. Can also drive runflats too, but they're pretty pricey.

Sandy
02-01-04, 01:59 PM
Strangely while it's standard on most Monte Carlos, and included in option accessory groups on other GMs, Cadillac has never offerred it as an option, nor standard. I guess the powers that be at Caddy don't like or trust it. :crying:

banstyle
02-01-04, 04:46 PM
The law in the US has changed recently, and soon all vehicles will have tire pressure monitoring systems. It's actually considered part of the Emissions stuff, because proper tire inflation can have a big impact. Safety, too, of course.

My 97 Grand Prix had a monitoring system. I dont understand why the STS doesn't. But I check my pressures every time I fill my tank.

Caddy Man
02-02-04, 05:56 PM
Strangely while it's standard on most Monte Carlos, and included in option accessory groups on other GMs, Cadillac has never offerred it as an option, nor standard. I guess the powers that be at Caddy don't like or trust it. :crying:
the newer dts's come with it standard.

Cadillacboy
02-02-04, 06:12 PM
I'd also love to see have tire pressure system installed on my car .Oh yes it's strange because STS should of been equipped with that

01STS
02-02-04, 07:34 PM
My STS has it. It was included with the HID headlight option package.

El Dobro
02-03-04, 04:13 PM
Tire pressure monitors have been available on Caddys since 2001.

CBOYLE
02-03-04, 06:45 PM
we have it on our 2001 dts and like it!
standard equipment. seems to be accurate to within 1 lbs. on each tire.
do not run flat for any distance as sensors inside wheels are expensive.
fortunately my dealer covered under warranty.
pain that whenever you rotate tires you must recalibrate unit with magnet applied to each wheel.
my two cents
charlie

vdo
02-06-04, 12:07 PM
On a similar topic, can the tire pressure monitors that came came stock on Caddies be tranferred to aftermarket wheels?

Thanks.

El Dobro
02-06-04, 02:07 PM
The sensor is the valve stem, so I would imagine the wheel has to be compatable with it.

capricio
02-06-04, 08:02 PM
Does anyone know what is required to change the relative positions of the sensors after a rotation? The owners manual says to take it in and have the dealer use a "special tool" to re-orient the positions. I asked the guy at the service desk and he said I needed a special magnetic tool, AND something had to be done to the PCM. I could use a diagnostic tool for the PCM or enter a magic sequence through the stereo console. However, he cautioned against using the radio console because "You could wipe out something important" if I entered the sequence wrong.

Has anyone actually reoriented their sensors? Mine are all sending in the wrong positions. What, if anything, needs to be done to the PCM? What is this magnetic tool, how much does it cost, how do you use it? What is this magic stereo console button sequence? I don't want to have to bring my car into the dealership every time I get a tire rotation. Thanks for any help.

Dan (2001 DHS)

HippieD9
02-07-04, 12:39 AM
The monitering systems have been around in caddy's since 94, I believe. As far as the sensors go, nothing should be needed to be done. I work at a tire shop, and have been there for about 3 years. We rotate caddy's w/the sensors all the time and have NEVER had any issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

D.

El Dobro
02-07-04, 10:33 AM
You only have to calibrate the tire pressure sensor if you change the sensor itself or the computer asks for a calibration. When you do something with the tires though you have to let the car power go down first, which takes about ten minutes or the car will think there's something up with the sensor when you remove the tire.
Corvettes have had low pressure sensors since 1989, but I haven't seen a Caddy with them until 2001.

catbert
02-07-04, 11:27 AM
Had the system on the Vette. I, personally, wouldn't add it to any car that has a spare. They can malfunction, stop working, and leak around the unit. I just don't want another maintainence item on the car I don't need.