: Looks like my LS2 is having problems too ...

mdc
06-13-06, 11:21 PM
I have about 4000 km (about 2500 miles) on my 06 V now and never checked the oil level until tonight while filling the gas tank ...

I know I should have checked it sooner, but I haven't really pushed the car all that much and my break in was extremely easy (never over 3000rpm for the first 2000km)

The first thing I noticed when I pulled out the dipstick was a lot of white smoke coming out of the hole (already a bad sign). I cleaned the stick twice and and the level is at 1/6th of the XXXXXXXXXXX ... There is almost no oil at all on the stick ...

I assume this is not good ... the gas station didn't have any 5w30 synth so I just drove the rest of the way home and will bring it to the dealer first thing in the morning ...

Any advise on how I should handle this?

1MEANV
06-13-06, 11:24 PM
that sucks. i had mine redlining at 200 km. maybe i should check the oil

mostoyzwinz
06-13-06, 11:28 PM
Dealer will likely tell you this is normal break in oil consumption, dump some 5w40 in to fill her up, and send you on your way. Document consumption if it continues but high oil consumption has to be pretty bad to get them to open it up.

mdc
06-13-06, 11:34 PM
90% of the oil burned away is considered normal? That's a new one to me ...

I have owned 4 new cars in my life time and have never seen anything like this ... the only other car that burned oil initially was an 02 Subaru WRX and even that was almost none ... and it never happened again (I sold the car with 100000+km on it and never had to put any oil in it between changes) ...

wildwhl
06-13-06, 11:40 PM
My V ('04 LS6) used about 1/3-1/2 qt about every 2,000 miles or so until about 5,000 miles. Now it barely uses any at all, even maggiefied.

I wouldn't sweat the oil usage just yet. Document it and keep an eye on it. Was it ever full on the dip stick? How do you know?

WW

1MEANV
06-13-06, 11:41 PM
lsx motors always burn some oil. it is the nature of the beast

mdc
06-13-06, 11:48 PM
Was it ever full on the dip stick? How do you know?

WW

I know it was full because I checked it the first day I had the car ... I always check up on fluids from dealerships because of an experience I had with the WRX

I brought the car in for a scheduled tranny fluid change at 60000km. About 500 km later, the I was driving the car and boom - broken trans. Towed the car to the dealership and they accused me of racing the car and breaking the engine. One of the techs was opening it when I was getting a racing lecture and told his boss "ummm ... the problem is there is almost no fluid in here." Got a new tranny, but they voided the rest of the warranty on the car because I had an aftermarket exhaust and suspension on the car. Car never went to the dealer again and never had another problem ...

Adam
06-14-06, 12:27 AM
hmmm weird. of course most of the oil will still be in the engine... especially if you have been driving it. let it sit over night and check it in the morning and see how much is in it. good luck with it brother.

Dennisscars
06-14-06, 12:34 AM
cool fender mounted wind sock...:thumbsup:

The Tony Show
06-14-06, 12:35 AM
90% of the oil burned away is considered normal? That's a new one to me .....

Don't forget, the dipstick does not show your entire oil level. On most cars, the difference between F and E on the dipstick is only about 2 quarts, meaning that if the dipstick is almost bone dry, you're less than 2 quarts low.

Adam
06-14-06, 12:37 AM
cool fender mounted wind sock...:thumbsup:

ahahahaha thanks! i just noticed that. new pic coming soon!

mdc
06-14-06, 12:48 AM
ok ... so I can accept that it may not be empty ...

But it is common for white smoke to be coming out of the dip stick tube? I have never seen that before on any other car.

I am just nervous because the car is so new ...

Adam
06-14-06, 12:55 AM
ok ... so I can accept that it may not be empty ...

But it is common for white smoke to be coming out of the dip stick tube? I have never seen that before on any other car.

I am just nervous because the car is so new ...

no go get that checked out man. just let it cool down overnight and check and see how much you have in the morning. it will still be low im sure but wont be that low. let me know!

heavymetals
06-14-06, 01:35 AM
If you just shut the motor off and pull the dip stick and you get a wiff of white smoke that is normal.

If you smell burning or smoke comes out in clouds then I think you have a problem.:eek:

CIWS
06-14-06, 07:43 AM
Go get a couple of quarts of oil and top her off. Then begin to watch it more closely. My owners manual says to do it at every fill up of gas. Although that's not needed in my particular case, it speaks to the fact GM understands these engines can burn some oil with "regular" use. If you were to poll 30 owners on here you would find varing amounts of useage with some average. My personal V (LS6) seems to use 1/8 to 1/4 quart every 1500 miles, that's with 10,500 on the engine. It appears as though the LS2s may use a little more, but again that varies some. Best thing to do is top it off and watch it every few hundred miles to track it useage and see if it's acting normal or is using excessive amounts. Then go from there. :)

mdc
06-14-06, 08:42 AM
Am I better off topping it off when it is cold or hot?

I figure I can get a better idea of how much I need to add when the engine is cold (as the stick will show exactly how much oil I have). If the engine is hot and I start putting oil in, there is a chance of overfilling it (I think)

Suggestions?

Kadonny
06-14-06, 08:42 AM
Wait a minute, let me straighten some things out. I am the resident oil burning expert on the board ;).

I acutally just learned something the other day about the dipstick from the service manager. The XXXXX on the dipstick represents one quart total and is considered the normal operating range. If the oil level is down to the middle line, then you are 1/2 quart low, if it is at the bottom of the XXXX range then you are one quart low. The low oil light does not come on until you are 2 quarts low.

The XXXXX does NOT represent the entire level of oil, just the top quart. If you are at the bottom of the X then you are one quart low and in 2500 miles, that is pretty good and very normal.

Also, if you dipped the car right after turning it off, the white smoke is normal. You are subjecting scalding hot oil to the outside air, the white smoke is the result of this.

So my advice is to relax and take a deep breath. Your car sounds fine.

My first engine had a major problem. I was burning one quart every 300 miles. Thats a lot of oil even for a brand new engine.

On your filling question, always check the level when the engine is warm, never when cold. So filling is best done when the engine is warm also. If you fill when the engine is cold, you have a chance of overfilling.

Hope that answered your questions.

NIK
06-14-06, 09:01 AM
Wait a minute, let me straighten some things out. I am the resident oil burning expert on the board ;).

I acutally just learned something the other day about the dipstick from the service manager. The XXXXX on the dipstick represents one quart total and is considered the normal operating range. If the oil level is down to the middle line, then you are 1/2 quart low, if it is at the bottom of the XXXX range then you are one quart low. The low oil light does not come on until you are 2 quarts low.

The XXXXX does NOT represent the entire level of oil, just the top quart. If you are at the bottom of the X then you are one quart low and in 2500 miles, that is pretty good and very normal.

Also, if you dipped the car right after turning it off, the white smoke is normal. You are subjecting scalding hot oil to the outside air, the white smoke is the result of this.

So my advice is to relax and take a deep breath. Your car sounds fine.

My first engine had a major problem. I was burning one quart every 300 miles. Thats a lot of oil even for a brand new engine.

On your filling question, always check the level when the engine is warm, never when cold. So filling is best done when the engine is warm also. If you fill when the engine is cold, you have a chance of overfilling.

Hope that answered your questions.

You answered my question - I wondered how you knew where the "add 1 qt", etc , mark would be. For example, in my case I have 3,200 miles since my last oil change and, when hot, the dipstick shows 3/8 to 1/4 still in the xxxxx range. So this means I'm about 3/4 qts low, correct? Glad I didn't put in that one quart I just bought.

dqw1
06-14-06, 09:23 AM
Just learned something about the dipstick. :thumbsup:

Kadonny
06-14-06, 09:42 AM
You answered my question - I wondered how you knew where the "add 1 qt", etc , mark would be. For example, in my case I have 3,200 miles since my last oil change and, when hot, the dipstick shows 3/8 to 1/4 still in the xxxxx range. So this means I'm about 3/4 qts low, correct? Glad I didn't put in that one quart I just bought.

Correct. I even confirmed this by reading the owners manual. I always thought each line was one quart and the entire XXXX level was 2 quarts, but apparantly not.

Adding an additional 1/4 quart of oil would not have harmed the car, so don't worry about that. Now adding an whole quart too much is a different story.

3200 miles for 3/4 quarts used is fine. Now get out there and stomp on that accelerator.

CIWS
06-14-06, 10:03 AM

We should get Sal to change your online name to Dipstick or LunchedS2 ;)

BadCad
06-14-06, 03:04 PM
dipstick sounds good to me.....:)

Koooop
06-14-06, 06:04 PM
If there's still smoke coming out of the dipstick you didn't wait for the oil to get back down into the pan. Check it in the morning on flat ground before you start it and see what's really in there.

Someone gave a great explanation of the XXXXXXX's on the dipstick, I've never heard that before but if it sounds about right.