: How often do I clean the throttle body?

weister42
06-13-06, 01:20 AM
I had the occasional stalling problem at stops and I got a mechanic to clean it, he said it was pretty dirty. I didn't have the sudden stall while at a stop until today, which was about a good two oil changes since it was cleaned. Do I have to clean it again? The engine started right up when it stalled while slowly coasting to a stop.

CadillacSTS42005
06-13-06, 12:40 PM
im not sure when but i KNOW it shouldnt need done that soon!

Ranger
06-13-06, 09:12 PM
I had the occasional stalling problem at stops and I got a mechanic to clean it, he said it was pretty dirty. I didn't have the sudden stall while at a stop until today, which was about a good two oil changes since it was cleaned. Do I have to clean it again? The engine started right up when it stalled while slowly coasting to a stop.
No. Not if it was scrubbed clean and not just sprayed and prayed. Once a year is probably too often, though I do mine every spring. I just did mine yesterday @ 27K. I'm sure it has never been touched before and it was just lightly carbon coated. No real build up.

Submariner409
06-13-06, 09:18 PM
Your symptoms sound suspiciously like the ol' CPS (crankshaft position sensor(s)) bugaboo. :bigroll:

SL1CK
06-14-06, 01:52 AM
You paid the mechanic to clean your TB?

weister42
06-15-06, 10:10 PM
You paid the mechanic to clean your TB?

Ya because I didn't know any better back then:) 30 bucks for cleaning EGR and TB wasn't bad I guess. I'm going to check my TB tomorrow and see if it's dirty, if it's not then uh, can I replace the crank position sensor myself?

SL1CK
06-16-06, 06:16 PM
You're right though, 30 bucks is not bad for EGR and TB cleaning.

Check this out next time:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/66742-how-clean-throttle-body.html

CadillacSTS42005
06-17-06, 12:03 AM
pending on how "good" they cleaned it maybe it does have more build up. usually they just use some spray run it through and they are done. to do the job right ya gotta remove the intake and scrub the thing!