: What would you replace your V with IF YOU HAD TO?

wildwhl
06-12-06, 06:42 PM
Gents...the common set of cars seem to come up often, so here's a little poll. Not all apples to apples for sure.

Opinions count here (and it is only for fun unless the paint comes out like hell on the V).

WW

mdc
06-12-06, 06:47 PM
If money was not an issue, the top two cars on that list get my vote ... but $ to $, I can't think of another car I would rather have ...

04CTSVFLA
06-12-06, 06:49 PM
as apples to apples as your gonna get: audi s4

close (4 drs and similar power): e55, c55, is350 (or is it 450), srt 8 (not very close), r/t, jeep srt 8 (?), m5

then theres the never ending list of sports cars : porsche 996, c6, c6z06, m3, m6, slew of amgs, etc etc

First Class Motoring
06-12-06, 06:49 PM
HEY WW CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME @ YESSO@SBCGLOBAL.NET I NEED TO BUY SOME OF YOU'R LOWERING MODS.

wildwhl
06-12-06, 06:53 PM
Yeah...I forgot about the S4 - but it really is small in the back where the V is nice and roomy (go ahead, flame me for the Porsche or the 2 boy racer cars having small back seats as well).

Personally, from my experience smoking a S4 on the auto-x course quite some time ago, I don't believe the S4 is as close to the CTS-V as numbers might lead you to believe :thumbsup:

urbanski
06-12-06, 07:01 PM
thats one helluva poll dude :D

urbanski
06-12-06, 07:02 PM
997tt > C2s

roadracerx72
06-12-06, 07:09 PM
I am already planning my next CTS-V purchase... :excited:

wildwhl
06-12-06, 07:16 PM
urby -

996tt > 997 C2S

But 997tt is a few years away for me...might need something sooner :nono:

WW

DILLIGAF
06-12-06, 07:24 PM
Why no Prius on your list?That's a car that would trade straight across with a depreciated V.

blown black caddy
06-12-06, 07:28 PM
If I had the money a Ferrari 430 coupe. :thumbsup:

OldRoadDawg
06-12-06, 07:32 PM
I am already planning my next CTS-V purchase... :excited:
Why . . ?? Is that Stealth Grey too slow? :Poke:

roadracerx72
06-12-06, 07:35 PM
Why . . ?? Is that Stealth Grey too slow? :Poke:

Too fast. Getting pulled over way too much for doing the 65 mph maximum speed limit...:thepan: What colors yours??:stirpot:

First Class Motoring
06-12-06, 07:39 PM
Hey No C6 Z06 :tisk:

CIWS
06-12-06, 07:43 PM
What... No Infinity G35 on the list ? ....http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/puke/repuke.gif

urbanski
06-12-06, 07:46 PM
urby -

996tt > 997 C2S

But 997tt is a few years away for me...might need something sooner :nono:

WW
there's low mileage 02-03s on ebay for like 85. some with X50. totally tempting man. totally. i paid 85 for my 4S for petes sake.

mdc
06-12-06, 07:47 PM
The new Infiniti GTR (or whatever they are calling it) will be extremely tempting when released ... *drool*

Staxxin
06-12-06, 07:56 PM
Hey No C6 Z06 :tisk:

I hear ya... That would be my first choice and the reason I selected "other".

2004ctsv
06-12-06, 08:04 PM
You can find Japanese and Korean cars that look a lot like the MB's and BMW's

But nuthin' looks like our Caddies

Florian
06-12-06, 08:37 PM
06 Z06, end of discussion

F

pimpcaddy
06-12-06, 08:40 PM
Lamborghini Gallardo 6 speed.

Dave

rand49er
06-12-06, 08:50 PM
Fortunately, I don't have to get another vehicle, but I'm sure curious what's going to out there in a post-LS7 V ... say, 2010+ or thereabouts. :)

lars464
06-12-06, 08:57 PM
The new Audi RS4 looks like a nice car.

ajedwardsjr
06-12-06, 09:00 PM
I've always liked the fact that the CTS-V doesn't scream "Boy-Racer" at you like some cars do. This may be because I'm somewhat up in years, myself. I remember that when I was in my 20's, I always wanted a Porsche. That has all sort of died down. In my current life, I perceive that the CTS-V has a lot of elegance, and style, and poise, and I want to project an image that has all of those things. Plus, I want to go really ****ing fast. So, My choice here would be an STS-V. It has that same sort of elegance and style, and with 469 horsepower and 439 foot-pounds of torque, might take care of that last little item, too.

ace996
06-12-06, 09:15 PM
Man...I don't know what to say...really. All depends on what you want to do.
As far as the STS-V or CTS-V, never a Caddy again!

If all you're going to do is pine-away for the 997TT, then just get a used Evo and mod the crap out of it. Just don't mod it too much...you don't want to sell the Evo and get into a slower Porsche!!!!

Or...do what I did...a maggied C5Z and then buy a Fit or Yaris for the winter. As you already know the addictive nature of a blown-LS6, the C5Z may be something for you.

I could go on for hours....

-ace

wildwhl
06-12-06, 09:50 PM
Must have 4 seats.

Drove a heavily modded Evo this weekend. Too bad it looks like crap and appears to have been seriously beat - because it was way too much fun.

Must have 4 seats.

(otherwise I would be showing pics of a C6 Z06)

WW

thebigjimsho
06-12-06, 09:59 PM
A sedan? M5 all day, every day.

wildwhl
06-12-06, 10:05 PM
The G35 sedan is something I've tried. Nice car. Not enough go. Would have to mod.

The above list is assembled because I know they can each be modified with relative ease (or don't need it to begin with).

I'm thinking bigjim has it right....

WW

onebadcad
06-13-06, 12:16 AM
Bill,
Life is too short, do not wait for your dream car, buy this one.
If price is an issue, lets get 25-30 forum members to sell their Vs, pool the cash, and work with a one-month rotation for each owner.
By the way, seeing as it was my idea, I get to drive it for the first 30 days!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INCOMPARABLY-STRIKING-THE-COVETED-ENZO_W0QQitemZ4647698922QQcategoryZ6212QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wildwhl
06-13-06, 12:48 AM
I'm not made of money like urby (yet) :cookoo:

There actually is a purpose to this exercise...let's let it go a while longer and then share.

1MEANV
06-13-06, 01:17 AM
viper. that is what i was going to buy first off anyway.

VELOSE
06-13-06, 02:39 AM
WW,
For what you have been doing to the V in terms of handling, I say go with the Porsche. You've been eyeing the Porsche for awhile. Plus, there are tons of mods for suspensions on them. I think you'll finally get that go kart handling you were after with the V. ;)

Second choice for you, the M5. I love that car.

M5eatr
06-13-06, 02:51 AM
WW, have you considered the Quattroporte? I test drove one a year ago and it was nice. It's a bit bigger than the others you mentioned and has plenty of room in the rear seats. You won't see many on the road either. They are taking quite a hit on depreciation though. But that means you may be able to get one after someone else has taken the 20%hit.

Kadonny
06-13-06, 08:12 AM
A sedan? M5 all day, every day.

All day, every day, every week, every year. The M5 is a beast.

StealthV
06-13-06, 08:38 AM
For snow and altitude, you need forced induction and AWD.

Porsche. German rocket science. There is no substitute. It's like having your own portable amusement park.

How about a STS AWD? Put nitrous on it.

FZfan
06-13-06, 09:38 AM
Love the BMW but tt's just too darn much coin for something that you drive down the road. There really isn't anything that lines up with the CTS-V at the price point.

P-Funk
06-13-06, 10:09 AM
Why no Prius on your list?That's a car that would trade straight across with a depreciated V.
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

trukk
06-13-06, 03:47 PM
I hear ya... That would be my first choice and the reason I selected "other".

Same here.

-Chris

urbanski
06-13-06, 03:58 PM
I'm not made of money like urby (yet) :cookoo:

There actually is a purpose to this exercise...let's let it go a while longer and then share.
i am poor :(

XKR

urbanski
06-13-06, 03:59 PM
Ferrari 599 GTB

ssmith100
06-13-06, 04:28 PM
I am seriously considering a new 2007 Infiniti G35 coupe when they come out next summer. Only going to be around 325hp but build quality (Japanese) should be a lot better than my V. I'm starting to think my V days are numbered. Drove the new M5 but it's just to much dollars for a daily driver. It was very fast but $90,000 is just to much money for driving 18,000 miles a year like I do. The new interior in the G looks killer also. For around $38,000 I think it will be a hell of a buy.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/Models/2007/G35%20Coupe/Photos.htm
Shane

ochaole
06-13-06, 04:44 PM
I'll take honda civic hybrid.....gas prices are killing me!!!!!!

heavymetals
06-13-06, 05:30 PM
If I had to replace it, I would do so with same. :thumbsup:

The V is a hoot.

That being said, there are a lot of used cars out there that I wouldn't buy new, but would consider used.

Gordy Petrovski
06-13-06, 05:54 PM
I would'nt buy just upgrade to a LPE TT for the V,how cool would that be?

urbanski
06-13-06, 06:20 PM
if he does that, he can sell me his maggie :)

GOTTSPD
06-13-06, 06:24 PM
If I had to part with the V... Well, first I'd look at getting another CTS-V. If not another CTS-V, then my absolute top choice (if $ was no object) would be a CLS55. Can't believe that no one has said this car. Its the most drop dead sexy car I've ever laid eyes on.

That said, if I was getting rid of my sports car (see avatar), I'd consider a C6 Z06, but I'd probably just end up getting another of the same car.

When I find something that works, I stick with it!

VELOSE
06-13-06, 06:48 PM
Warning-Thread Jack! :D

I just got a call from a very interested buyer of my ad on autotrader. He is offering me my price after I told him I didn't want to sell. Now he has me thinking but the only thing I can see going to after would be a C6 with Z51 pkg. About 95% of me says to keep my V. :banghead:

heavymetals
06-13-06, 07:14 PM
Get a C6 Z06.

crowan
06-13-06, 07:47 PM
My days of spending six figures for performance cars are over. There are simply too many "bargains" to be had for tens of thousands of dollars less.

If it was a second car, I would go with the Z51 C6 (maybe the Z06 but I doubt it).

If it was my only car, I would opt for the SRT-8 Jeep.

CR

ace996
06-13-06, 08:13 PM
Warning-Thread Jack! :D

I just got a call from a very interested buyer of my ad on autotrader. He is offering me my price after I told him I didn't want to sell. Now he has me thinking but the only thing I can see going to after would be a C6 with Z51 pkg. About 95% of me says to keep my V. :banghead:

I thought about the same car. Great looking and more than fast enough. With GM's "swap" offer, it was very tempting.

But then I test drove the C5Z with a maggie. All in all- including an extra set of SSR wheels/Kumho slicks, alkyinjection, re-tune, ect....I'm coming in under $40K. I really could, really, never-ever afford any stock car that would hang with this machine on a highway/track. (I think it's even faster from 50-150mph than my bike!!!):shhh:

The C6Z is brilliant, but too much money for me. (And perhaps, after my next visit to EastCoastSupercharging, ...too slow...???)

Either car, it'd be a good call.

good luck,
ace

wildwhl
06-13-06, 09:48 PM
This has been a fun exercise thus far - HOWEVER - The question asked is what would "YOU" do if you had to replace your V. Those that have answered with what "I" should do have failed. I already know my answer (first poll vote) :sneaky:

WW

Vdrenaline
06-13-06, 10:59 PM
Audi RS4 would be my choice IF I HAD TO replace the V. That being said, I had the opportunity to check a few of them out last weekend and was NOT sufficienty impresed to trade in my V for one. I had been thinking about it. But its not any faster, its smaller/ can't lug as much gear on weekend trips, and the engine does not sound as good as the V. There are only two things about it that are better than the V: The interior is georgeous and all-wheel drive is nice to have in the winter.
-M5 is too much of a video game and I don't like the styling. Could not live with f@#%ing I-Drive either -life's too short.
-E55 is fast but you can't get a manual transmission.
-S6 is nice but also an automatic.
-STS-V is also automatic only.
-Jeep SRT-8 is tempting, I might have to get one to supplememt the V.

mostoyzwinz
06-13-06, 11:50 PM
Another V. Besides the shitty grin I get driving it around, I haul custmers around too. They all love it and can't believe it's a Caddy. Made in USA is important to me and my customers. Next choice is a AWD BMW M or Audi S.

VELOSE
06-14-06, 12:20 PM
WW,
I would replace my V with a C6 Vette with Z51 performance pkg. I'd get some CCW Corsair 1 piece staggered wheels, sticky track tires, some coilovers, swaybars, corsa exhaust, head/cam, and tune. You can make that white with black interior. ;)

StealthV
06-14-06, 12:52 PM
My replacement for the V? Roll the cash over into a cost effective Maggified C5Z06 like master Ace.

So WW, what color is your 911?

wildwhl
06-14-06, 02:20 PM
I was thinking seal gray, but urby has me thinking cobalt blue.

I know this - it WON'T be black.

But that's 2 years away when a TT is available at a price less than my house, and this was just a hypothetical question :sneaky:

WW

wildwhl
06-15-06, 12:22 AM
OK - the exercise has come to an end.

While the wife was gone and my staff was kicking ass this week, I test drove all of the cars on the list and then some. Each one has merits, as you would expect. Taking the V out of the equation - the M5 is the best car in the group. Sure, the 997 C2S rocks (guessing, I drove a C4S) and the E55 is just over the top boulevard drag bitch, but the other cars are all, also, very, very good. I am so fortunate to have been born when I was.

For the V loyalist - here's the best part.

None of the cars can replace the V. Not one. Not the M5. Not the E55, and certainly not the riceboxes. Surprisingly, for me, the closest is the M5 (I knew this) but the NEXT closest, IMHO, is actually the IS350. If it were an IS450 with DSG - I'd buy it - today. It isn't - so it doesn't matter.

In the end I'll fight to keep the V as my "beater" (even though it isn't) and am going to look towards a 2up street machine. This means a whole new search list should the wife bite. It will be a tough sell, but I think I can swing it.

My first choice (and Phuq me for thinking GM again) is C6 Z06 - simply because with Rick's help I can tune it :burn:

This poll has served its purpose. Most of you knew the answer. The V can't be (directly) replaced.

Now, Reed, it is "YOUR" turn.

Lock the thread.

WW out.

VELOSE
06-15-06, 12:37 AM
Damn......I was looking forward to getting your suspension. However, I'd rather see you in our camp exploring and testing new mods for us. Keep making the V better for us. ;)

wildwhl
06-15-06, 12:46 AM
Frank -

What are you doing here? I thought you sold your V :rolleyes:

WW

japx
06-15-06, 06:18 AM
CTS-V or GTO

urbanski
06-15-06, 08:27 AM

Now, Reed, it is "YOUR" turn.

Lock the thread.