: Don't Buy PCM from GmPartsDirect

rand49er
06-12-06, 02:12 PM
Last February, I thought I'd be smart :bighead: and buy a PCM to have Rick tune at StealthV and retain my stock tune on the OEM PCM. So, brilliant me, I'll save a couple of bucks in order to stay under the wife's radar and ordered one from GmPartsDirect. BIG mistake ... what a POS! :rant2: To make matters worse, I contacted them to request that they take the PCM back, and they tell me the part number for the PCM I ordered is for an '04 V and they give me a different no. for the '05 V. :eek: So, I go to the local Caddy dealer's parts department, and the guy tells me GmPartsDirect is all screwed up and doesn't know what they're talking about and gives me the correct number plus a newer part no. that apparently superceded the old one. All I can say is they must be total idiots at GmPartsDirect!

As background, the PCM gave me problems from the start. Rick tried everything, but to no avail. Symptoms are: won't start on first crank, slight hesitation at low RPM/light accel, and occasional cut out of fuel injectors while driving normally in traffic (now THAT's unsafe, let me tell you!). Got another PCM, this time from Rick, with same exact tune, and it works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Needless to say, GmPartsDirect won't refund anyone's money for any electrical part (duh!, I figured that), so a word of caution to all you out there contemplating following my stupid little plan: Buy your extra PCM from Rick. DON'T BUY PCMs FROM GMPARTSDIRECT!

Rick's the MAN! :worship: :worship: :worship:

51PHFTY
06-12-06, 02:20 PM
Last February, I thought I'd be smart :bighead: and buy a PCM to have Rick tune at StealthV and retain my stock tune on the OEM PCM. So, brilliant me, I'll save a couple of bucks in order to stay under the wife's radar and ordered one from GmPartsDirect. BIG mistake ... what a POS! :rant2: To make matters worse, I contacted them to request that they take the PCM back, and they tell me the part number for the PCM I ordered is for an '04 V and they give me a different no. for the '05 V. :eek: So, I go to the local Caddy dealer's parts department, and the guy tells me GmPartsDirect is all screwed up and doesn't know what they're talking about and gives me the correct number plus a newer part no. that apparently superceded the old one. All I can say is they must be total idiots at GmPartsDirect!

As background, the PCM gave me problems from the start. Rick tried everything, but to no avail. Symptoms are: won't start on first crank, slight hesitation at low RPM/light accel, and occasional cut out of fuel injectors while driving normally in traffic (now THAT's unsafe, let me tell you!). Got another PCM, this time from Rick, with same exact tune, and it works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Needless to say, GmPartsDirect won't refund anyone's money for any electrical part (duh!, I figured that), so a word of caution to all you out there contemplating following my stupid little plan: Buy your extra PCM from Rick. DON'T BUY PCMs FROM GMPARTSDIRECT!

Rick's the MAN! :worship: :worship: :worship:

I also bought a 2nd PCM for Rick's tune, but, I bought it from him and had him put his tune in it before sending to me. It has always worked great.

If you used a credit card, you may still be able to dispute the charge with your credit card company and have them issue you a credit on your account. I have done that several times with faulty products and it works pretty well.

Marty

roadracerx72
06-12-06, 02:54 PM
Wow! That was my plan to buy another PCM and have Stealth V tune the new one. Now I will just wait and buy one from Stealth which I did not know we could do.

Thanks!!:thumbsup:

Seattle CTS-V
06-12-06, 03:18 PM
I also have a 2nd PCM w/ Rick's tune. Actually, I've got 2 of his PCM's right now cuz he didn't want me to have to "suffer" with the stock tune while the PCM's were being shipped back and forth for fine-tuning.

rand49er
10-04-06, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I know this is old, but after a bunch of personal stuff is now out of the way, I asked GMPartsDirect to at least give me back the core charge on the defective PCM I bought from them last March and THEY DENIED IT!!! ... said it had been more than 30 days! What a bunch of horse sh*t!!! I'm tellin' ya, those guys are bums, complete bums! :rant2:

Anybody want a junker GMPartsDirect PCM? Oh, sorry for the redundant description!

The Tony Show
10-04-06, 02:32 PM
SO what's the deal with it- Is it a perfectly fine '04 PCM that won't work in your '05, or is it a turd with something wrong with it?

ronr
10-04-06, 02:42 PM
a turd with something wrong with it?

'04's and '05's are interchangable

rand49er
10-04-06, 02:48 PM
SO what's the deal with it- Is it a perfectly fine '04 PCM that won't work in your '05, or is it a turd with something wrong with it?A turd! The really smelly kind.

When installed, it exhibited a subtle misfire at low speeds, and the car would never start on the first crank -- it always took a second attempt. The PCM went back and forth between Rick and me several times; Rick, btw, really went out of his way to figure this out. Ronr even volunteered to look at it with EFILive. Ultimately, the theory is that the fuel injector drivers in the PCM are faulty; GMPartsDirect only sells remanufactured ones. After a series of emails back and forth with those idiots at GMPartsDirect, they said my dealer would have to acknowledge the defect. Of course, since this was an aftermarket tune, a dealer was not involved. Even so, it took well beyond 30 days to discover all this, so I was out of luck. I bought a PCM from Rick with the same exact tune, and it works like a million bucks! :thumbsup:

2000WS6Vert
10-04-06, 03:19 PM
Is HPTuners available for the CTS-V? If so...for both the LS6 and LS2?