: Final Drive Ration w/ AWD in 1SG package with other questions

Benjamin Simon
06-11-06, 11:00 PM
I have been trying to find out what the final drive ratio with the 1SG package. From what I have read, the final drive on 1SG is 3.43. However, I have read AWD, the final drive is 3.23. So what you get a 1SG with AWD, what is the final drive ratio going to be?

Am I going to be able to beat a 300C in the 1/4 mile with either a final drive of 3.23 or 3.43? :bouncy:

Does the AWD really hurt the mpg?

Also, are nine spoke wheels only on the 1SG package? Is the HUD standard on 1SG? I do not see it as an option on GMBUYPOWER.

Cajonkev
06-12-06, 12:16 PM
Since I don't have AWD I'll leave that to those who do.

As for the wheels; 9-spoke "riveted" wheels are the standard on the 1SG only but can be added/swapped to other configuations. There is also a 9-spoke "non-riveted" that comes as an option to the 1SF package.

HUD is not standard on any package and is only available by adding in the Adaptive Cruise (ACC) option. That might be the 9SK option if I remember right.

Hope that helps a bit.

rayainsw
06-12-06, 02:12 PM
Final drives:
1SG RWD = 3.42 to 1.
AWD V8 = 3.23
1SF = 3.23
1SE = 2.73

Quarter mile times from MT, C+D and R&T all put the V8 STS (RWD) very close to the 300C – within a couple of tenths.

AWD MPG = EPA says:
STS RWD V8 = 17 \ 26 - for all versions \ final drive ratios
STS AWD V8 = 16 \ 23

( All numbers here are for 2006 – 2007, with six speed automatic trans. numbers not yet released.)

HUD, as stated, is not included in any package. It is only available on a 1SF or 1SG, and bundled (at a rather high price, IMHO) with ACC. RPO K59.

HTH,
- Ray
Waiting for further 2007 info . . .

I have been trying to find out what the final drive ratio with the 1SG package. From what I have read, the final drive on 1SG is 3.43. However, I have read AWD, the final drive is 3.23. So what you get a 1SG with AWD, what is the final drive ratio going to be?

Am I going to be able to beat a 300C in the 1/4 mile with either a final drive of 3.23 or 3.43? :bouncy:

Does the AWD really hurt the mpg?

Also, are nine spoke wheels only on the 1SG package? Is the HUD standard on 1SG? I do not see it as an option on GMBUYPOWER.

chiefmjk
06-12-06, 05:29 PM
Don't forget the $1,000 gas guzzler tax for the AWD. :confused:

Cajonkev
06-12-06, 06:06 PM

Which is the only reason why I didn't order it with...:bighead:

Skibanker
06-12-06, 06:26 PM

Not applicable for the AWD V6.

Benjamin Simon
06-12-06, 08:56 PM
Is there a way to tell what the final drive ratio is? Might it be printed on the door or is there another marking? (I am buying used) I was hoping I could tell by the number of spokes in the pictures on autotrader.

With the ACC, I really dont like the circle plate on the grill. I really perfer the standard emblem. I was going to up grade to a v series grill. Can I change the emblem or is that where the ACC is located? Thanks guys!

Cajonkev
06-12-06, 11:44 PM
With the ACC, I really dont like the circle plate on the grill. I really perfer the standard emblem. I was going to up grade to a v series grill. Can I change the emblem or is that where the ACC is located? Thanks guys!

Yes, that is where the ACC transceiver is located and it cannot be changed out without removing/disabling the system.

No it is not the standard emblem which I thought I would prefer as well. However, I receive unsolicited comments all the time about how much people like the look of my mesh grill with the ACC port. YMMV.

It grew on me over time...

Benjamin Simon
06-13-06, 01:59 AM
Wow, that does look pretty cool . Is yours for sale :)
Does anyone know about the final drive ratio?

Cajonkev
06-13-06, 11:17 AM
It isn't "quite" finished as yet so no plans te sell...:tisk:

Not sure what you are looking for beyond what "rayainsw" already posted on drive ratios above...:confused:

Those are the published numbers I believe that he listed. There are not any decals posted on the vehicle itself listing the info (both door and engine compartment) so you have to use the published listings.

Good Luck...:thumbsup:

Benjamin Simon
06-13-06, 12:17 PM
I suppose what i am looking for is a way to tell the difference between the packages. I like buy cars with all of the options. I like the ZF steering and the upgraded seats. I was hopeing there might be a way to tell without having to go to the dealership and look for myself. Often the used salesmen have no idea what they are talking about.
I was hoping I could tell by the wheels, but now I know those seem to be able to be changed easily.

Benjamin Simon
06-13-06, 12:22 PM
I really want to make sure I get all of the options. It is hard to tell if you are getting 1SF and 1SG. I really like the ZF and nice leather. I was hoping for a way to tell which cars had the 1SG package. I had hoped the rims where a give away, but now I realize those can be changed.
I want to be able to tell which cars had the 1SG package without a test drive.

rayainsw
06-13-06, 01:57 PM
2005 & 2006 1SGs

Well – looking at the 2005 Order Guide:
I believe that any early build V8 AWD will be a 1SG.
I believe that any 2005 with 18” wheels and (rear) 255/45 ZR18 Summer Only Michelin Pilot Sports will likely be a QAF and that was only available on 1SGs.
I believe that early 2005s with HUD & ACC would also have to be 1SGs.
If they ( a GM dealer ) have a way (based on the VIN ? ) to check if it has these RPOs, I thing it would mean that you’d be looking at a 1SG:
V03 Perf Cooling
NV7 Prem Stg Gear, ZF

For a 2006 you could order 18” rims on a 1SF.
The tires would be Michelins – but W rated & all season.
Again, the V03 and the NV7 are only available on the 1SG.
HUD \ ACC became available at some point on 1SF for 2006.
True QAF wheels & tires can still only be ordered on a 1SG.
And AWD became available on more PEG levels . . at least 1SF, according to the Guide.

That’s all I know . .

Good luck!
- Ray
Still awaiting more 2007 details . .

I really want to make sure I get all of the options. It is hard to tell if you are getting 1SF and 1SG. I really like the ZF and nice leather. I was hoping for a way to tell which cars had the 1SG package. I had hoped the rims where a give away, but now I realize those can be changed.
I want to be able to tell which cars had the 1SG package without a test drive.

Benjamin Simon
06-13-06, 02:16 PM
This "special" cooling system on the 1SG. Does anyone know how it is different? By looking under the hood, is there a way to tell the difference? The salesman I talked said all of the cooling systems are the same.
I realize they are different, my point is salesmen know nothing about the cars they are selling.

AllWheelEric
06-27-06, 10:35 PM
The performance cooling system can be identified by a crankshaft-driven cooling fan. So you'll have to look under the hood, but it should be a good confirmation. Funny how this "option" seemed to be the standard before the 80's (and transverse engines).

For complete disclosure in used-car shopping, check the sticker in the trunk. Lift the spare tire cover and look for a sticker on the cover with the build codes. Compare that against the ordering guide posted elsewhere on this board.
http://www.ericjung.com/Cadillac/BuildCodes.jpg
My AWD V8 has the 3.23 final drive ratio (GU5).

rchern
12-18-06, 07:49 PM
My dealer was able to tell me the final drive ratio on my car by the VIN number.

Benjamin Simon
12-19-06, 12:11 AM
Now that I sell Caddys part time, the only way to tell is the printed build unit codes. You might be able to contact GM with the VIN number and ask them what build unit codes came on that VIN, but it would be ridiculously easier to just look in the trunk for the codes. I hope your dealer did not bullshit you.
BTW I have sold 16 cars since starting in October! Hell yea!