: The Phaeton after some work.

Benzilla
06-10-06, 10:40 PM
Here it is, it came on the night of the 8th, and I've been working on it since. It cleaned up pretty well and looks like 1,000 times better than the day I got it. It really needs new paint, this stuff just won't shine up, plus the passenger's door is a slightly differant color, but you can only see it in some lights. other than that, its great. I'm really happy to see how good the cloth top is, the stiching is coming undone a little around the rear window, but no tears or pilling ir anything. It looks better than many late '90s Devilles I've seen with cloth tops.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0484v2.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0480.jpg
Thats my friend Charlie behind it.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0469.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0478.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0477.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0471.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0470.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0479.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/Phaeton/100_0482.jpg

Frost
06-11-06, 12:05 AM
That looks terrific, Benzilla! Whaddya mean it won't shine up? It looks pretty cherry as it stands. Maybe a good going over with some Meguiars mild or medium cut cleaner/compound is all it'll take to make that car glisten in the sunshine like it's been dipped in liquid gold.

I know that you're aware that compounding removes the very top layer of paint that has become oxidized or otherwise dulled-down, but don't forget to put some protection (wax or polysealant) on it immediately after the compounding, because the paint will never be as vulnerable as it is in that "Just Done" condition.

The issues with the cloth top seem pretty minor, also. And I agree with you that your top is in alot better condition than the majority of those E&G or Vogue tops.

Well done on your acquisition!

caddydaddy
06-11-06, 12:55 AM
Very nice Cad! I can see that the pass door is a different color. Was it hit, or replaced?
I agree that some polishing compound will make it look like new, unless the paint is already too thin.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 10:36 AM
thanks, I *think* that its a new door skin, because it dosen't ripple or anything, but I could be wrong. I really wish there was somebody that did VIN tests on cars older than 1980, anyone know of any? I hope the paint will shine up, but I already tried the polishing compound that comes in the white can with the green lid, but it did nothing, then I did the meguiars 3 step thing, no luck. would rubbing compound do anything other that get down to metal? Nightwolf - where ever you are -, what did you do?

The interior is great, the leather seats were redone 6 years ago by someone why knew what they were doing, they look mint. they also had the door armrests padded and covered in leather! anybody else have leather on their armrests? :cool2: the air even works.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-06, 12:47 PM
That looks awesome Ben! So clean! How many miles?

How do you like it compared to your '83 and your '90?

Benzilla
06-11-06, 01:30 PM
The miles are sort of high, I've seen higher, but its no low. you'd never guess it by how it performs though. (hey that rhymes)

Its really hard to say how they all stack up, their all great in their own way, on the '83 I just really like the overall look of it, very classy in white on white with saddle, also low miles (49,000) slow as hell though. but I know the original owner and everything, so its really cool.

The '90 has a very understated luxury, its not really flashy, yet when you get the Diplomat blue metallic in the sun it just pops big time. and the 350 is sort of fast, but it slows down after like 40. moonroof and CD player!

The '79... is hard to put into words, its a Cadillac of Cadillacs, it was ordered with almost every option, including this really cool thing thaty puts the low beams on when a car is coming, thats so trick! the look, is across between total class, and '70s crackhead, yet its not tacky at all, I love the Western saddle firemist with the cloth top, I woulden't have it in any other color, exept maby platnum with a black top. yet it still has it's little flaws, like needing a new paint job, and a trunk latck that - I swear to god, is out to get me - it also needs a couple things done for the engine to make it flawless, but I love it.

plus it was in Goodfellas!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-06, 02:34 PM
Lets end the battle....

How's the 90's 350 compare to the four-twenty-five???

Benzilla
06-11-06, 03:12 PM
the 350 has great low-end power, where as the 425 is a little weaker, but after about 30, the 425 blows it away, I just push the gas and i'm going 60, with the 350 it will get there, but theres not any power for passing. In the '90, I can easily make the rear tires smoke from a stop, I haven't pushed the 425 to that point yet, but it seems a little slower, but like I said, after that I'm shocked how fast the speedo climbs

Overall:

#1. 425
#2. 350

Not to say that I don't like the 350, its pretty smooth, and can hold its own, but it lacks that huge massive feel that only a big block can give.

Night Wolf
06-11-06, 03:17 PM
425 has more low wnd power then the 350, it just feels weaker due to the very high gearing on the 425, while the 350 has lower gearing to help it in performance.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 03:22 PM
yeah, but with the 350, like I just tap the gas and it snaps forward, with the 425 it goes, but it dosen't feel the same way. maby I'm just going easy on it.

1990CaddyBrougham
06-11-06, 04:05 PM
looks like the clear coats worn down.....

Nice shape though!!! Love that top!

caddydaddy
06-11-06, 04:19 PM
The '79... is hard to put into words, its a Cadillac of Cadillacs, it was ordered with almost every option, including this really cool thing thaty puts the low beams on when a car is coming, thats so trick!

That's the Guidematic headlamp control, which was a $91 option in 1979! I had a 1976 and 1978 Fleetwood Broughams that had that.

CoupeDevilleRob
06-11-06, 04:27 PM
You have the Caddy trio I'd love to have, at least I'm a third of the way there. That car is sweet, definately worth a repaint. It's proabably got a really high rear in it, like a 2.73 or something, for fuel economy. The car was built during the second energy crisis after all. I'd lose the Rolls Royce grille and get a stock 79 grille, then it would be a dead ringer for the Goodfellas car.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 05:16 PM
looks like the clear coats worn down.....

Nice shape though!!! Love that top!
thanks, I also love the top, its a bitch to keep clean though, but worth it.

these cars don't have clear coats, its laquer I think.

You have the Caddy trio I'd love to have, at least I'm a third of the way there. That car is sweet, definately worth a repaint. It's proabably got a really high rear in it, like a 2.73 or something, for fuel economy. The car was built during the second energy crisis after all. I'd lose the Rolls Royce grille and get a stock 79 grille, then it would be a dead ringer for the Goodfellas car.

I've heard about a local place called unique by design, or something like that for the repaint, their said to be really high quality, and only charge about $1500 for the whole job, I guess I'll go check them out, and a few other places. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the grille or not, at first when I saw it I hated it, then after I saw it in person, it diden't look as bad, plus its original, I have the original build sheet to show that. But I also really like the stock grille, the car was designed to have that one, plus that way it really would be exactly like the one in Goodfellas. I'll probably have a stock one put on when I have it painted, because it would look like ass if I took this one off now, the paint would be darker under it, and you would probably be able to see wear marks around where it rest.

Adam
06-11-06, 06:19 PM
thanks, I also love the top, its a bitch to keep clean though, but worth it.

these cars don't have clear coats, its laquer I think.

I've heard about a local place called unique by design, or something like that for the repaint, their said to be really high quality, and only charge about $1500 for the whole job, I guess I'll go check them out, and a few other places. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the grille or not, at first when I saw it I hated it, then after I saw it in person, it diden't look as bad, plus its original, I have the original build sheet to show that. But I also really like the stock grille, the car was designed to have that one, plus that way it really would be exactly like the one in Goodfellas. I'll probably have a stock one put on when I have it painted, because it would look like ass if I took this one off now, the paint would be darker under it, and you would probably be able to see wear marks around where it rest.

i know first hand Uniques work is the best. they do great work man and i would recommend them. i didnt know they were down in Morristown though. they started up here (i believe) about 2 years ago. they do awesome work man... i can only say good things about them. and they dont charge much either. they quoted my 93 Fleetwood at 1,100.00. that was with kandy paint and 5 coats of clear. unfortunately they didnt get to it as i wrecked it but they have done work on friends cars and its nothing short of amazing. the Phaeton is amazing looking brother! im jealous. :)

BigDaddyDeville
06-11-06, 08:38 PM
if you decide to get rid of that grill, let me know, i been looking for one for awhile.

beautiful car too, love the cloth top.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 08:52 PM
i know first hand Uniques work is the best. they do great work man and i would recommend them. i didnt know they were down in Morristown though. they started up here (i believe) about 2 years ago. they do awesome work man... i can only say good things about them. and they dont charge much either. they quoted my 93 Fleetwood at 1,100.00. that was with kandy paint and 5 coats of clear. unfortunately they didnt get to it as i wrecked it but they have done work on friends cars and its nothing short of amazing. the Phaeton is amazing looking brother! im jealous. :)
I don't really know where they are, your the first person that told me about them, then a couple of locals told me they had their stuff done there. I'll look them up. how can they do such good work for so cheap? I mean I've heard of paint costing like 5 grand for a good job, so this seems cheap as f*ck. but hey, whatever, if they do good work I'm not going to argue.

Adam
06-11-06, 09:00 PM
I don't really know where they are, your the first person that told me about them, then a couple of locals told me they had their stuff done there. I'll look them up. how can they do such good work for so cheap? I mean I've heard of paint costing like 5 grand for a good job, so this seems cheap as f*ck. but hey, whatever, if they do good work I'm not going to argue.

i dont know how they do it so cheap but they do good work. they are in my neck of the woods. unless they have a shop in Morristown the only place i know of is here in Kingsport off of John B. Dennis. i can give them a call tomorrow if you would like... get a quote for you if you need me to. just let me know.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 09:01 PM
That's the Guidematic headlamp control, which was a $91 option in 1979! I had a 1976 and 1978 Fleetwood Broughams that had that.
Actually, $97, I just looked at the sheet :) anyway, thats really cool.

Benzilla
06-11-06, 09:03 PM
i dont know how they do it so cheap but they do good work. they are in my neck of the woods. unless they have a shop in Morristown the only place i know of is here in Kingsport off of John B. Dennis. i can give them a call tomorrow if you would like... get a quote for you if you need me to. just let me know.
Thanks, but it'll be a lil bit untill I can get it done, so I'll look them up closer to when I'm ready :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-06, 12:28 AM
It's proabably got a really high rear in it, like a 2.73 or something, for fuel economy.

I think it's like either a 2.28:1 or a 2.08:1 I cant remember though, some ungodly high number.

Night Wolf
06-12-06, 12:35 AM

you call 2.73 high? those are almost ideal for a big block Cad... 2.73-3.08 are perfect...

that '79's got beastly 2.28 gears.... heh :).

77CDV
06-12-06, 01:52 PM
Ben,

Wow! That looks a gazillion times better than the last time I saw her! Those firemist paint jobs just don't shine up after a time. The metallic flakes reflect the sunlight and just breakdown the paint. But, you did a really good job anyway. That was about the best I could ever get out of my aunt's 79 Fleetwood with the firemist paint. Once you finally get the repaint done, that is gonna be one killer ride. Congrats! :)

Craig

Benzilla
06-12-06, 06:56 PM
Ben,

Wow! That looks a gazillion times better than the last time I saw her! Those firemist paint jobs just don't shine up after a time. The metallic flakes reflect the sunlight and just breakdown the paint. But, you did a really good job anyway. That was about the best I could ever get out of my aunt's 79 Fleetwood with the firemist paint. Once you finally get the repaint done, that is gonna be one killer ride. Congrats! :)

Craig
Thanks, I was amazed how dirty it was when I got it, the water runoff was actually black! I've heard about the firemist paint sort of "eating itself" over time, I can't wait 'till I can get it redone. it still looks ok now, but it needs a job.

77CDV
06-13-06, 01:46 AM
Forgot to say, I really like the one pic of her showing the rear 3/4 view from the driver's side with the green hills in the background. It really accentuates the car's elegant lines. I'll say it again, you done a fine job with her so far. Can't wait to see the end product.

Craig