: Where Can I Get An Authentic Car Manual?

216caddypimp
06-10-06, 11:20 AM
Greetings, just interested to know where on-line or off-line can I get an actual car manual for my 1991 Fleetwood Brougham. I just feel more at ease having one and this is the first car I purchased (used of course) that one was never kept.

Thanks Again

Rick186
06-10-06, 11:28 AM
I have to jump in here and - after scouring the various threads of this site - seem to have come up dry looking for OWNERS MANUALS for the 95 FWB.

I already ordered the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from our beloved leader, and await its delivery, but I'd sure like to get the complete OWNER'S manual(s).

I tried Google and eBay both with absolutely ZERO success. And I'm pretty damn good at researching, if I do say so myself. Plus, I'm willing to have somebody prove me wrong and get my paws on those OWNERS MANUALS.

HELP!:crybaby: :worship: :rant2:

caddydream
06-10-06, 11:43 AM
http://search.ebay.com/cadillac-brougham-service-manual_W0QQfromZR41

Rick186
06-10-06, 11:46 AM
BTW -

You people who are old hands at the FWBs know this as old stuff, but two things I found out about Cadillacs - one of which I found out about my Mercedes - struck in the last few days.

First, when I went to fill the Caddy, as I was standing at the self-serv pump, a fairly new white Catera pulled up across the island and a woman got out from the passenger side. She had to gross at least 250 to 300 lbs. The driver was equal in size.

The Catera looked like it had been parked beneath a vulture nest full of baby chicks who had recently been fed and then emptied their bowels along with mama and papa vulture.

I smiled, courteously, at the woman (after all, she got out of another Cadillac) but her first words were: "I bet you do that an awful lot with that big gas hog."

I grinned even wider and replied: "Yes, but in a crash I'll walk away without a scratch."

Her snotty look changed to an open mouthed nothing and she went back to fill the Catera. By then the tank was full and I completed my doings and went on my way.

Then, last night, wife and I went to the garden store. It was dark by the time we got all the doings done. On the way back, for the first time I noticed somebody tailgating me. VERY CLOSELY! I sped up. He was still there and he was only using parking lights but the wrong color!, so I rode the brakes hoping to get him off my tail. and the lights got brighter!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?:confused:

I asked DW to turn around to look at the miserable bastard following us before I floored it and headed for the Bloomfield PD. There was nobody!

Then I realized it was the tiny lights at the top center of the rear window.

GOD what a doofus!:tisk:

This FWB has EVERYTHING!

Rick186
06-10-06, 11:52 AM
CADDY DREAM -

Would any on that list apply to my 1995 FWB?

brougham
06-10-06, 02:53 PM
You can get the owners manual from the dealer. And if you want to get it from ebay they're on there all the time. The one for my 1991 Brougham D'Elegance is french so I had to get another one so I could read it.

Broughamadrosis
06-10-06, 06:18 PM
:rofl: Hehehe - great story... (laughing with you) :histeric:
Those tell-tale indicators are not bulbs, but fiber-optics from the tail lamps, so if a bulb burns out or brake lights fail, you're the first to know...not the local constabulary :cop:

:Offtopic:

You're story reminds me of when my mother first got her then new 75 Coupe De Ville - she was driving her usual route to work - playing with the radio and adjusting the seat - all the usual fidgiting during the first time out in a unfamiliar car... she got herself settled and glanced down at the speedo - she was cruising at 70 mph on a posted 35 country road without realizing her speed... She slowed to the limit for the rest of the trip. When she got home and told the story, she added, "Gawd, it felt like I was crawling".

...guess you had to be there... :o

Rick186
06-11-06, 07:01 AM
Ayup, I sure felt like a complete dumbass! And until you clued me in, I had no idea they were fiber-optics.

If I'm not mistaken, something similar was used by Chevrolet back in the mid-60s also. Likely that Cadillac had that back then as well.

216caddypimp
06-12-06, 05:37 PM
I just contacted the dealer and he told me where they order all their manuals which is located athttp://www.helm.com

Thanks for the information provided, this is why I love this site.

Rick186
06-12-06, 10:48 PM
You won't f'ing believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thepan:

I just went to the Helm site and tried ordering the Owners Manual.

After more than 2 DOZEN tries, I was ready to take a hatchet to my PC.:want:

It refused to add the $2.00 manual to the cart, no matter what I did!!!!!!!!!

Over and over, it kept switching the subject to "Warranty" and even that would not go into the cart.

So I'll try to call them on their 800 # tomorrow and hope I do better with some Sally Shortskirts, hoping she has more brains than the average Village Idiot.

Rick186
06-13-06, 06:45 AM
Well, just scarphed down some coffee and went to the Helm site again, got their stuff for my 95 FWB.

All they have for that model are:

Bound TSBs ($20.00)
Quick Reference Specifications Guide (7.00)
Warranty

I sure don't need the Warranty, but I got the other two. BUT I STILL CAN'T GET AN OWNERS MANUAL :thepan:

So, like was said on this thread, I'll toddle down to the local fiendly (sic) Cadillac dealer and see how many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he or she wants for an owners manual.

In the meantime . . . WHAT'S THE LITTLE BUTTON ACROSS FROM THE TRIP ODOMETER RESET BUTTON ON THE SPEEDOMETER PANEL?
It's on the left of the speedo panel.
I'm, afraid to touch it.
Seeing how I was hornswoggled by the fiberoptic tailllight telltales above the rear windows the other night, that little button might just be something like the James Bond EJECT BUTTON and blow me right thru the roof. :confused:

caddydream
06-13-06, 06:48 AM
For the 95 FWB you would search for 1995 Fleetwood Brougham service manual at eBay. If you buy the manual from the dealer you are going to pay big $.

I had those same fiber optics on my 1984 Buick Park Ave, now deceased.

The James Bond E-seat came to my mind too. Press it and let us know.

Rick186
06-13-06, 09:24 AM
:thumbsup:

BOOOMMM

:eek:

brougham
06-13-06, 08:23 PM
It doesn't cost that much from the dealer. If the button on the dash says EM and is the same as the trip odometer button it's to make the dash go from km to miles and from miles to km.

Rick186
06-14-06, 10:50 PM
Brougham -

Well, mine is a bit more "wordy." It says ENG/MET

That's what had me in a tizzy. "EM" wouldn't have been so worrysome even though I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what in heaven's name it meant.

To me, ENG means ENGINE !!!!!!!!! MET means, well, METAL, (?) or maybe, if I think a while . . . . . maybe . . . METRIC ? But the ENGINE part stopped me from even daring to push that button.

It seeems silly now that I think about it, but too many decades as a safety engineer left me paranoid about pushing buttons connected to things I have no business with.

brougham
06-15-06, 01:55 AM
Mine might say eng/met too. I forget what it says but at least you knew what I meant. To me when theres buttons that are that easy to get to they're OK to press and if it was going to do something bad it wouldn't be there at all. I guess that's why it's nice to have an owners manual to look at huh?

Rick186
06-15-06, 09:04 AM
Right. My concern was that MET might have referred to METER or something calling out, maybe resetting the OBD codes stored somewhere.

I know they are accessed in my wife's Stratus by fiddling with the ignition key and tapping something on the heater controls, and likewise on the dash of the FWB as noted here on the BB, so that's why I didn't want to touch that button.

Rick186
06-16-06, 11:41 AM
216 -

Thanks for the tip about HELM.

I paid for quick shipping and found a gold mine of stuff about diagnostics, one of which was about CHATTERING WIPERS which is an annoyance of my FWB.

There is a TSB from Cadillac and it gives a part number to replace the wiper arms. Since my FWB is long in the tooth, I'll have to get them at my cost rather than warranty, but it should cure that annoying chattering when it rains.

Other diagnostics are really great, since now it seems I'm fighting something new that looks like my computer has suddenly had a full nervous breakdown (serious and possibly costly.)

216caddypimp
06-16-06, 06:39 PM
I like to thank Caddy for the link to e-bay. I found a manual that with shipping costs me $30.00. I also bought a manual from Helm, I hope I didn't buy doubles of the same thing. I doubt it, since the manuals cost $105.00 and the one I bought only cost $25.00

No problem Rick 186, this board has helped me get acquainted with Cadillac information, so whatever lil' tid-bits I can reciprocate, I will. I guess Helm is the Caddy service center's little secret, since the service dude, seemed busy when I called and just told me to go to the site and get the manuals from there, hahahahaha.

DiscoDave
06-16-06, 08:58 PM
In the meantime . . . WHAT'S THE LITTLE BUTTON ACROSS FROM THE TRIP ODOMETER RESET BUTTON ON THE SPEEDOMETER PANEL?
It's on the left of the speedo panel.
I'm, afraid to touch it.
Seeing how I was hornswoggled by the fiberoptic tailllight telltales above the rear windows the other night, that little button might just be something like the James Bond EJECT BUTTON and blow me right thru the roof. :confused:

The good news, sir, is that is just an 'English / Metric' button, so pressing it will not shoot you out the moonroof. The bad news is that if you press it to 'metric' and you are not in Canada, your car will stop at the next intersection and refuse to move until you apologize to it in French.

You don't want to see your miles in 'kilometers' anyways. With one press, 271,000 suddenly became 436,000.

caddydream
06-16-06, 10:24 PM
You're quite welcome, caddypimp. I'll check out Helm.

DiscoDave
06-18-06, 08:11 PM
Man, Ebay truly is a godsend :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8075001572

Rick186
06-18-06, 09:43 PM
Seeing that makes me feel like the old Al Capp cartoon character who went around with a black cloud over his head!:thepan:

I not only went on eBay looking for the manual - and finally found one, in plain-Jane, ring binder form - but had the "wish list" thing going and never came up with the "leather bound" goodie like that one. Weird.

Oh, well, I should be getting mine any day, now, from Canada.

216caddypimp
06-19-06, 07:45 PM
My "Cadillac Owner's Literature" (sounds so much better than "car manual" LOL) finally arrived from the helm website. Final cost including shipping was $27.00.

Now I await the big manual I got from e-bay.

I attached a pic of the manual, so folks can see the authenticity of Helm and their products.

216caddypimp
06-21-06, 07:59 PM
Finally got my Service Manual from Ebay..........Thanks for the advice and where to go.

Here's what the manual looks like, not bad for 15 years old and off ebay, lol.

Much Love Caddy Owners