: Spare tire/wheel deal at Tire Rack

KTSwanson
06-10-06, 09:12 AM
After replacing runflats with Toyo Proxe T1rs, and nervously driving around without a spare for a couple months, saw Tire Rack was discontinuing the 6-lug Mille Miglia wheels...bought one for a spare ($139), and they recommended a General Exclaim UHP XL ($136) to match my Toyos as a spare in case I need to use it for prolonged driving. Total cost including mounting/balancing/shipping to my door: $298.33. (Previously picked up the jack/handle/bucket for about $80). So now I'm run-flat free forever, and between my new spare tire/wheel and AAA, not so worried about the construction roofing nails that seem to be randomly scattered over the So. Calif roads.

Chef
06-10-06, 04:14 PM
Good to know. I'm going down that same path after I get the cam back and fire up the runflats for the last time. I saw that they had a closing deal for that amount down from 240 ish? Although I don't like the Millie Vanillie show I wouldn't mind throwing it in the trunk:thumbsup:

Well done!

Chef

Ak Jim
06-10-06, 04:20 PM
How much of a difference was there in ride quality when you got rid of the run flat. Did it take some of the harshness out? Any negatives? Thanks.

KTSwanson
06-10-06, 05:20 PM
How much of a difference was there in ride quality when you got rid of the run flat. Did it take some of the harshness out? Any negatives? Thanks.
Big difference...when the (loud and harsh, but grippy) stock F1 runflats were worn out, I went to a local performance tire shop. They recommended the RFA-EMTs, saying I wouldn't notice the difference. On driving away, the wiggle and insecurity were evident. I wrote it off to the need for some break-in, but it never improved, essentially negating all the suspension mods I'd done to firm up the ride (mentioned in prior posts, won't repeat). Changing to the Toyos was the best of both worlds...the firmness and grab of the original F1s, but with a quieter ride, and much more gentle roll over rough pavement (lots of that in So. Calif). No negatives from my perspective, beyond the need to get a spare, now done (wheel and tire were less than the cost of 1 F1 or RFA-EMT). (This isn't the place to post this, but the virtually new RFA-EMTs are going up for sale on Ebay when I get around to it.)

VELOSE
06-10-06, 07:19 PM
Did the same thing with a millie vanilli wheel from Tire Rack. I just had Falken 255/40/18 RT-615 tires mounted on my stocks. I took the best F1 runflat I had left and had it mounted on the millie vanilli wheel. Now I'm spare tire covered and runflat covered if my spare blows too. ;)

lasstss
06-10-06, 08:55 PM
I just dismounted two of my runflats. I can see why the ride is hard and the turn in so good. The sidewalls have to be between 1/2" and 5/8" thick. No wonder they are a bear to mount and dismount.

mike041357
06-10-06, 09:38 PM
If you need to get the tub/jack/wrench combo check with Geoff at spaldongs.com (ggreen@spaldings.com). He sold me the entire set for $20 + $9 shipping. And threw in a hat as well. Class act!

ndogg ct
06-12-06, 04:30 PM
if a northeast buyer is interested i have 4 brand new 18" millie's and brand new bf ta kdw's of my hands for $800..guess i will break them up for $250 each if you want them as a spare??unless i have 4 buyers witihin a few days i will let go for 2 a piece!!don't want to ship these though unless buyer pays shipping..take these away!!need firework money and these are just in my way since goodyear hooked me up on a warranty deal!!!call me if needed 860-836-0711 i am in ct.