: Rhino ramps

Drago
06-09-06, 05:21 PM
So i bought Rhino ramps to ease the chore of draining the oil. Eagerly I threw them in front of the car ready to try them out. Problem, they won't stay put so I can drive the front wheels up on them. The rubber pad underneath the front edge keeps coming out as well. Anyone else have similar trouble? My garage floor has been epoxy coated so it isn't bare concrete so it is a little slick. I would do it on the driveway but it is too steep. unfortunately I haven't sold the wife on the idea yet.

nikon
06-09-06, 05:26 PM
For the front wheels I usually put it on a doormat, seems to work pretty good, when I had my truck I just threw her in 4wd, other than that the grass works good too +less cleanup :)

DILLIGAF
06-09-06, 05:37 PM
Been there,done that.2 words,floor jack!Like everyone else,I bought the heavy duty taller Rino ramps,bad idea.I use them for jack stands now,they suck for this appication.

cguthrie
06-09-06, 06:21 PM
Yep. Now I use them as jack stands for changing the oil.

If you think they are slippery w/a V try them on an old school front wheel drive STS!

CG

Drago
06-09-06, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys. They don't seem to be everything the hype would suggest. They will be returned ASAP. Back to the jack method I go.

StealthV
06-09-06, 06:30 PM
Like suggested, put something like a door mat, rug, etc. under them if your floor is slippery.

Lift > Rhinos > Floor Jack

MN CTS-VETT
06-09-06, 06:32 PM
I bought the rubber like mesh that is used to line tool drawers - works great after an oil change this weekend!

Ryan's '05-V
06-09-06, 09:40 PM
Drago, I have one that works and the other moves so they are useless so thanks for the thread as I may try them some other way mentioned.

rand49er
06-09-06, 09:45 PM
... Anyone else have similar trouble? ...And here I thought I was the only one. :alien:

calicadi
06-09-06, 10:39 PM
I'll have to go out to the garage to get the brand name, but I bought a pair of old school steel ramps that have an accessory extension. The extensions serve two purposes: 1) decreases the initial approach/lift angle so low-slung cars like ours can use them at all, 2) puts the weight on gradually so they don't scoot.

I'll get the name and post some pics later.

ctsvett
06-10-06, 01:07 AM
I had the same problem with my Rhinos.. I went to home depot and bought 2 2x6s (2x4s will probably work) and then put them between the base of the garage wall (actually a cement step) and the rhino ramps.. be careful to eveleate the ents touching the rhine ramp so that when weight hits the ramp it doesnt tilt over the wood. This works for me great...

Dont worry about the wood as it is NOT supporting any weight. Its only keeping hte ramps from sliding forward as you describe.

Reed

ajedwardsjr
06-10-06, 06:56 AM
I use my rhino ramps in the driveway, which is a fairly rough textured concrete. I guess it is the rough texture that keeps the ramps from sliding backwards as I drive onto them. Most problems I'm hearing about are garage floor, which are often painted or varnished and very smooth.

2004ctsv
06-10-06, 07:57 AM
I use a piece of duct tape on the floor to keep the fiberglass ramps from moving.

T

ronr
06-11-06, 01:30 PM
I jack mine up and then put the ramps under the wheels.

calicadi
06-11-06, 07:05 PM
I'll have to go out to the garage to get the brand name, but I bought a pair of old school steel ramps that have an accessory extension. The extensions serve two purposes: 1) decreases the initial approach/lift angle so low-slung cars like ours can use them at all, 2) puts the weight on gradually so they don't scoot.

I'll get the name and post some pics later.

Here's the link to the manufacturer. They're also sold in auto parts stores.
http://www.autoramps.com/ultra_ramps.htm

The extension is designed to work with the Ultra Ramp. It's a two piece affair that packs as one. Unlimber the two pieces and hook 'em together to form the extension. Then set in place on the ramp. Piece o'cake.

Florian
06-11-06, 08:13 PM
thats a good find.

F