: My tranny is FUBAR!

danbuc
06-09-06, 02:25 PM
So, after two months of waiting, my car is now ready to get the tranny fixed since I've got an aftermarket warranty to cover it. I bring it the first shop and they said the company wouldn't cover a replacement, and that they can't rebuild it. I then bring it over to a local AAMCO yesterday who said that they could do a rebuild and that the warranty company would cover. Well, I spoke with them today and they told me that it's so chewed up inside that they can't even pull it apart to fix it. SO now the warranty company is sending out a claims adjuster guy, which could be good, or bad. This sucks. Anyway, just thought I'd share this.

Oh, and has anyone ever seen a 4T80E so gone that it can even be opened up? Sounds to me like something seized or grenaded inside.....strange though, since under 3krpm, all the gears still function. Oh well....:bigroll:

auroradude
06-09-06, 04:27 PM
It must have had its ass kicked every day since it was new. A lot of these trannies last til 150k+. I know mine wont but still. I dont think thats a problem with not changing the fluid either. Prolly overheated one or more times and was still driven hard or somethnig.

That sucks but hopefully your warranty will cover it otherwise your out $3500

danbuc
06-09-06, 08:40 PM
I still can't figure out exactly what could have failed and prevented the case from being open, yet still leave me all my gears? I just don't get it. Did the end of the input shaft seize itself to the primary pump? Seems doubtful, but that's the only thing I can think of.

chazglenn3
06-09-06, 08:43 PM
:histeric: FUBAR...I haven't heard that expression since I got out of the military 16 years ago! That and SNAFU. Thanks for the memories!

danbuc
06-09-06, 08:51 PM
What about SNAFUBAR? I used that one just last week.

dkozloski
06-10-06, 01:30 AM
FIGMO is my favorite. MMRLH is a little more obscure.

danbuc
06-10-06, 01:33 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/danbuc/kilroy.jpg

Haha...this is amusing, albeit way off topic......but who cares. I started this thread right....so F**k it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-06, 02:36 PM
FUBAR is german for something right?

danbuc
06-10-06, 03:30 PM
Say what now? FUBAR is an acronym for "F**ked Up Beyond All Recognition"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-06, 03:38 PM
Ok then, whats SNAFU, FIGMO and MMRLH?

danbuc
06-10-06, 06:18 PM
Systems Normal All F**ked Up.....I'm not quite sure about the other two.

dkozloski
06-10-06, 07:06 PM
Situation Normal All F--ked Up.
F--ked Up Beyond Any Repair.
F--kit I Got My Orders.
Marine Mail Rush Like Hell.

caddydaddy
06-11-06, 05:42 PM
I use "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" quite frequently! :)

danbuc
06-12-06, 03:14 PM
Well, now to get this thread back on track. Stopped by teh AAMCo, and they said the car would be done tomorrow. I was suprised to here that the work had been approved, so I guess I'll ave my car back in time for the Jersey meet.:woohoo: . Anyway, it's got the 3yr/36k warranty or whatever. I'm not sure I'll have the car that much longer, and if I do, it's not going to be a daily driver (taking off the road to "work on/modify" if ya catch my drift). In which case the tranny will be coming apart anyway to be build up with some heavy duty stuff. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

MrEr1c
06-14-06, 03:49 PM
so what was originally wrong with the tranny that made you bring it to the shop?

gdwriter
06-14-06, 04:02 PM
Ok then, whats SNAFU, FIGMO and MMRLH?
SNAFU=Situation Normal, All F*cked Up
FIGMO=F*ck It, Got My Orders

Don't know about MMRLH.

I use FUBAR frequently. Describes my life pretty well.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

danbuc
06-14-06, 07:28 PM
so what was originally wrong with the tranny that made you bring it to the shop?

I took it to the dealer (big mistake0 to have htem drain and refill the fluid and change the pick-up filter screens. Instead, they flushed it, and never changed the filters. Long story short, the pump took a crap on itself and they refused to accept any responsibilty for it (go figure). So, I'm forced to drive it with a failing pump. The whine it horrific, and after two months, it slips when the rpm's rise above 3k rpm plus It had a tendency to loose 4th gear on the highway.

Anyway, I got this aftermarket warranty thing (my stepfather had the same thing on his Yukon) and I use it to get the tranny fixed. In the end, it ended up at AAMCO because the warranty company didn't want to pay for a reman unit, and the shop it was at couldn't do a rebuild on teh 4T80E (not that kind of shop). In the end, AAMCO said that it was so chewed up inside that they could get it apart, so the warranty company ended up settling for a reman unit afterall. After all that, I gotta pay my $100 deductible, and whatever tax they don't cover (don't ask, I have no idea). No a bad deal for a bascially new $4000 tranny.

Apparently, it'll be ready tomorrow. Yesterday, they were waiting for a part so I couldn't get it then. Today they were trying to finish up replacing a few gaskets (not sure where or to what but whatever) and finish testing it to make sure everything functioned properly. Tomorrow, it should be good as new, and ready for me to pick up (and wash, it's need it).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-06, 08:06 PM
So if the STS is taken off of it's "daily driver" duty, what will replace it?

danbuc
06-14-06, 08:40 PM
Well, if things all go according to plan, and I get the job at Mercedes Benz of Manhattan, after six months, they allow you to lease a car through the dealer for a pretty good deal. if( nad I mean if) this happened, I would no longer need the STS as a daily driver, which would allow me to do with it as I please, since I would have the ability to work on it without having to worry about whether I could drive it the next day and what not.

danbuc
06-15-06, 03:29 PM
UPDATE!!!

F**kin' AAMCO loosers....I claled them around 3:30 this afternoon to see if they had finished my damn car yet, and instead they tell me that my speedo is off by 13mph and they're trying to figure out why. So I asked them if they ordered the right tranny (3.71:1 and not 3.11:1) and they said they did. The guy then asked me if anyone had ever adjusted the speedo to compenate for a different gear set, which I found kinda funny, considering they're SO many companies out there making different ratio gear saets for the 4T80E. ANyway, they call me back about a half an hour later and say that the tranny they got is messed up, or not working right or some crap, and that they're overnighting a new one in to replace that one. There's no way it should take a whole week to remove and install a new tranny. I could have done it in my driveway faster. ANyway, just figuered I'd mention this, cause I'm f**kin' pissed off at this place, and I just can't stand it anymore. All I want is my damn car back. It ran when I brought it in there...

Rant over:mad:

auroradude
06-15-06, 03:46 PM
Dude I told you, we all told you stay away from that chain. They messed up my buddies Tempo even and that trans has got to be the cheapest to rebuild ($1500). If they cant get a ford AOD right why the hell would you let them touch this tranny.

Shouldve let pro-tech work one for you

danbuc
06-15-06, 05:08 PM
I said I wanted to bring it to ALL-Transmission who did the C4 tranny in my old Mustang, and is ATRA certified. It just didn't happen like I planned though. This AAMCO hasn't touched my old tranmsission, because they couldn't even get the case open to work on it. The tranny they are having problems withit a GM reman unit. It's the same tranny that would be put in at the dealer. What went wrong, is that they seem to have ordered the tranmission for an SLS instead of an STS, which is what I have. Although it may have been a shipping error, it still doesn't excuse them from neglecting to determine whether or not it was the right one in the first place, before they put it in. Hopefully they get the right tranny this time, and get it all straightened out. All they have to do, is hook up all the lines, and attach all teh connectors and then drive it to make sure it works. Doing this seems to be a more difficult task than anticipated.

danbuc
06-15-06, 05:11 PM
Shouldve let pro-tech work one for you

That would have been nice, but I don't think the warranty company would have gone for it. For only having to pay about $100 for a reman tranny, I'm not so concerned about who does it (since they aren't messing with any internal components, just putting it in the car), but when it get's done.

auroradude
06-15-06, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah my bad i forgot they couldnt rip this one open. lol. Thats kind of funny though that its that bad. At least you dont have to pay for it, but when a tranny is welded shut like that its usually from revving to 6000 rpm and throwing it into drive or reverse. Thats what we did with the tempo and they managed to crack it open -- but it was a lot of work.

He also tore the mounts and driveshaft a new one though.

danbuc
06-15-06, 07:21 PM
Yeah, it looks liek they seem to know what they are doing as far as basic removal and installation goes, but other than that, it's kinda iffy. Hopefully when they get this new tranny, it'll go in smoothly. They said they were having a minor issue with pressure fluctuations earlier today that they were trying to sort out. Maybe, they did get sent a bad tranny. It happens.

He said it was all seized up when they went to open it up, but I just don't get it. Maybe the pump got so hot it welded itself to the end of the input shaft. Seems liek a long shot, considering it never threw any temp codes (or any codes for that matter). I just wonder would could have messed it up badly enough so they couldn't get it open, but still leave me with all forward, gears, and reverse. Strange. Maybe (if I have room and time) and I can take it back and try to pull it apart myself. Would be nice to grab the diff, and have it sent out to Engineered Performance for an LSD conversion (if it's not all messed up that is).

They said that they will be working on it throughout the entire day tomorrow from open to close, as soon as the new tranny arrives in the morning. I have to say though, I do kinda feel a little bad for the guy who went throug all the work of installing it, just so he can pull it out again. Oh well, not my problem.

AlBundy
06-17-06, 02:13 PM
Hope they get back on track so you can get back to the track. Ha haa.

danbuc
06-17-06, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that would be nice. Somehow, "overnight" turned into 4 days as the tranny will now get to the shop on Monday. I figure if all goes well, with no problems, I should have it back by Wednesday. All I can do is sit and wait at this point. They never call me to tell me what's going on. I didn't even know that the tranny didn't make it on friday, until my step-father and I drove over there to find otu what the deal was with the car. As we pulled into the parking lot, the car was sitting outside. I new it was too good to be true. Sure enough, we walked inside, and the guy Jamie said, "The tranny never showed. It'll be here Monday, it's stuck in some town somewhere.....sorry". At this point, I think I would have better luck hooking up two horses to the front of my car, and registering it as one of those "Handsome Cab's" like in NYC. At least then I could still use the car.

Anyway, they said that they will discount the work, so at this point, it looks like I won't even be paying anything. With that being the case, I can live with not getting the car back 'till Wednesday, although I won't be happy about it.

parts68
06-18-06, 08:51 AM
you got lucky on the x warranty
I ended up using the 99 3.71 tranny I was offering you.
Put it into a 95 Rora and its working great(with my modifications).
Now for the good news
If yu have a GM reman its got a 3 yr 50K warranty(some have 100K)
any more problems with it and you can go to any GM dealer for free work.
Ask me how I know(3 GM remans in a GTP)

danbuc
06-19-06, 05:26 PM
Well, this elusive final drive ration/13mph speedo difference problem seems to have finally been settled. The AAMCO is having an issue with they're supplier, since they had to other cars there today that both had the wrong tranny as well. They had been shipped two SLS (vin Y) trannies in a row, and finally gave up dealing with the supplier. They've got a new one int he car running, but with the 3.11:1 final drive, so the speedo's off and it throws codes once you go over 30mph. They decided to just deal withit themselves and ordered a 3.71:1 gear set to put in the new tranny. Other than the final drive ratio being off, they said that it was running nice and smooth. They started working on it this afternoon around 4:00 (drove by the shop, and the car was back in the bay), but they ran otua time since they close at 5:00. Hopefully tomorrow, they will finally finish up installing the new 3.71:1 gears, and test drive it, and all will be right again. It's a good thing the SLS and STS trannies are bascially identical except for the TCM programming, and the final drive. Now if only I could find a way to run a set of 4.10:1 gears in it....:sneaky:

parts68
06-19-06, 07:20 PM
wow that makes 3 trannys and its still not right?
They wont make any money on this one.
I think wholesale on that GM reman trans is about $1700.

danbuc
06-19-06, 08:29 PM
Haha..yeah, they're pretty pissed off at my car. They're even more pised off at their supplier though, since they keep screwin up.

AlBundy
06-20-06, 02:44 PM
I would hate to be the next guy with a N* comming in to have my tranny rebuilt in that repair shop. They will probably put up a sign No Northstars.

danbuc
06-20-06, 03:25 PM
Well, they still haven't gotten it right. I showed up around 3:00 and they told me to take it for a drive and see how it felt. I got in the car, went to pull out and it felt liek it was bogging off the line pretty bad. Hit the T/C swith just out of curiosity, and I got the message that it was now on. Okay, next light, hit the gas....and it's still bogging, as if it's doesn't have first gear. Either that or they've still got the wrong final drive ratio in it, which couldn't be since it didn't throw any codes. I'm about to f**kin' kill somebody at this point. I know I'm sure as hell not paying them my $100 detuctible for this crap....they can pull it out their own ass for all I care.

ALBUNDY, they didn't rebuild it. They've ordered two seperate reman transmissions, and both times have receieved the wrong one. SO now, they figured they'd try and fix it by putting the right final drive ratio in it themselves, but guess what....it no worky! F**kin' Douchebags!

danbuc
06-21-06, 12:58 PM
Update: Got the car back. Runs great. That is all.

parts68
06-21-06, 07:13 PM
they used the 2nd gear start switcheroo?

gdwriter
06-21-06, 07:20 PM
Update: Got the car back. Runs great. That is all.
Any explanation on why it was so bad yesterday?

I called the shop where I'm getting my tranny rebuilt today; Cruella won't be ready until Friday, but I'd rather they do it right, even though I really want her back.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-21-06, 07:47 PM
Now that Cruella is out sick, do you use Betty to get you from point A to point B?

gdwriter
06-22-06, 03:09 PM
Now that Cruella is out sick, do you use Betty to get you from point A to point B?
Yes, I've been driving Betty for the past week. She's running great. No problems (knock on wood).

Drove to Portland today to go see cars after work with a buddy of mine. My phone battery was dead, so I swung by the tranny shop this morning to get the car charger out of Cruella. He was just about done putting the tranny back together and will install it in the car this afternoon; then he's send it to an alignment shop for a four-wheel alignment since having the tranny out would screw up the suspension alignment.

He showed me some of the old parts. A couple of pieces literally fell apart when they came out, and I could see how worn some of the gears and other parts were. Should have her back tomorrow. Hope so, since it's supposed to reach the 90s this weekend and I haven't had the $$ to replace Betty's A/C compressor.

danbuc
06-22-06, 04:06 PM
In my hast to drive it, I think I accidently hit the T/C and didn't realize it. I was too busy flipping through the menu, that I thinm I hti it before I got a chance ot see the Traction OFF message. Oh well, she works fine now, and that's what matters.

acklac7
06-27-06, 11:52 PM
Hey danbuc...Haven't been on in a while...Glad to hear your trans. is finnally functional again!!! (and also glad to hear that you didn't let some AAMCO flunky get inside there..lol!..)

Just my 2 cents on the whole "couldn't get the case off" tidbit......

IMO that is just BS!!!!! The 4t80e is an extremely complex tranny..and my guess is that the flunkies @ AAMCO have had previous problems repairing them..And don't want to touch them!!!.

And I agree...I just can't imagine a driveable tranny being "impossible" to open/examine......Im sorry...But that is likely 100% BS!

Maybe if you had holes in the case and fluid spewing everywhere it would be a different story...But you drove it home from FL for ch__t's sake!..As I said before...Im glad you didn't let them touch the internals :)