: Wheelhop. What's the cure?

chazman
06-09-06, 12:46 PM
I've got it in my 6 speed 3.6. How do the V guys control it?

Kadonny
06-09-06, 12:59 PM
There are 2 different kits made for the V to help reduce the hop and a bushing set. Also, and probably the most important issue is tires. Less sticky tires = less hop.

There are a couple of ways to deal with it.

CTSV05
06-09-06, 01:55 PM
I know I know........:D

cash
06-09-06, 02:08 PM
I went with BMR wheel anti-hop kit, heavy duty tie rods and heavy duty trailing arms. With my DTE head cam package and 445 rwhp to the wheels and wheel hop is gone.

With the BMR kit there is some extra noise from the rear but we live with it for the no wheel hop trade off.

Just a note with the BMR DTE had made the lenghts the same as the stock tie rods. My alignment was way off. To realign the car the shop that did it could not get to the adjustments with a wrench so some extra time was needed to align the car.

I have 285 Michelin Pilot's on the rear and it hooks up great. We try to stay away from dropping the clutch to keep the rear end in tact a little longer.

arr0gant
06-09-06, 02:13 PM
I've got it in my 6 speed 3.6. How do the V guys control it?

Wheelhop, wtf's that? Never heard of it.

CIWS
06-09-06, 02:19 PM
Wheelhop, wtf's that? Never heard of it.

Go check out the Ford Mustang commercial.... ;)

obzidian
06-09-06, 02:29 PM
there are a few sets of bushings, that when placed in the rear assembly, help eliminate teh frequency of whellhop. It doesn't eliminate it but it helps out.

With the stock gm bushings and a new set of non runflat tires, my wheelhop is almost non existent. I believe it was the tires thas helped out the most, also, the gm bushings squeak like no tomorrow...

im not sure if the V bushings would work in your cts but give it a try...

Also, theirs the kars kit but unsure if it can be retrofitted to your car.
Wait, we have identical rears, then it could work... not sure though.

chazman
06-09-06, 02:30 PM
There are 2 different kits made for the V to help reduce the hop and a bushing set. .

GM/Service items?

Kadonny
06-09-06, 03:18 PM
GM/Service items?

Just one set of bushings are GM TSB fixes. The other sets of bushings are aftermarket as are both of the anti hop kits.

Staxxin
06-09-06, 03:21 PM
Bushings and new tires seem to do the trick for me...

chazman
06-09-06, 03:51 PM
Just one set of bushings are GM TSB fixes. The other sets of bushings are aftermarket as are both of the anti hop kits.

Yeah, I saw that TSB on CadillacFAQ.

Exactly how squeaky are these added bushings?

crowan
06-09-06, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I saw that TSB on CadillacFAQ.

Exactly how squeaky are these added bushings?

Forget the bushings. They squeak like hell. Unless you are willing to trade an occasional hop for constant squeaking and groaning, just drive around the problem.

I am going to have mine removed during my next service visit. It was an interesting attempt at a fix but missed the mark.

CR

RobertCTS
06-09-06, 04:18 PM
The TSB is a scream!!!:eek:
Anyone have the GM Bushing part numbers for us?

chazman
06-09-06, 04:25 PM
Forget the bushings. They squeak like hell. Unless you are willing to trade an occasional hop for constant squeaking and groaning, just drive around the problem.

I am going to have mine removed during my next service visit. It was an interesting attempt at a fix but missed the mark.

CR

Thanks. I was about to see if I could get that TSB done to my car. But if it squeaks constantly, I just couldn't handle that.

mike041357
06-09-06, 05:43 PM
Is that what is happening? I had the GM bushings installed as soon as I got the car. Now I hear little creaks and such when backing up and stopping. Is that a result of the GM supplemental bushings?

I can't believe I've read all the stuff here and never saw this!

Luna.
06-09-06, 05:46 PM

CR

:yeah:

They didn't squeak for me for a while (say, a 1,000 miles or so), then they would gradually start to squeak and groan a lot, particularily when braking. It's bad enough to drive you nuts. I'd then have to take it back to the dealer, who would lube them up again, and then I'd be good to go for a while, then they'd start squeaking again, and the process would start all over again.

If I didn't get my KAR III kit, which replaced them, I'd have pulled them similar to Crowan as well. Even the hop was better than that squeak...

mike041357
06-09-06, 05:51 PM
Thanks Luna! That's EXACTLY what is going on. I don't drive it hard enough, often enough, to worry about the wheel hop. But that squeak and groan is annoying.

I'll add it my list of stuff for my next visit to the dealer. I just wait for a few things 'cause I can't stand to leave it (and not drive it) for a day.

Does everybody's vibrate at 80+ in 6th under mild acceleration, too?