: Where to get Northstar computer and harness??

ChevyZRII
01-31-04, 01:08 PM
:coolgleam I just purchased a NEW 2004 Northstar engine. Could anyone direct me to where I might look or puchase the computer and wiring harness to control this soon to be beast. I'll also need to find where to purchase accessories such as a/c compressor, Alt, etc., besides the Cadillac dealers so I won't have to sell my house to outfit the motor. Thank you, Steve at sespikes@excite.com:cookoo:

ShadowLvr400
01-31-04, 01:18 PM
You've entered a rough area man. Not much aftermarket for the Caddy's, but roam this section some, the various things are out here. For OBD2 programming, head to page 8, bout 2 months back.

Aurora By Olds
01-31-04, 06:02 PM
Ebay is a good place for Caddy parts...

BeelzeBob
01-31-04, 09:37 PM
:coolgleam I just purchased a NEW 2004 Northstar engine. Could anyone direct me to where I might look or puchase the computer and wiring harness to control this soon to be beast. I'll also need to find where to purchase accessories such as a/c compressor, Alt, etc., besides the Cadillac dealers so I won't have to sell my house to outfit the motor. Thank you, Steve at sespikes@excite.com:cookoo:

It is going to be REALLY hard to get an 04 running out of a Cadillac that it was designed for....sorry.

The Cadillacs and Northstars do not have a separate or standalone engine harness and PCM setup like in a lot of the late 80 and mid 90 PFI chevy small block applications. The Northstars were Cadillac specific and Cadillac exclusive and the Cadillacs have a great deal of onboard electronics and integration with the PCM for the engine. Just to get the PCM to function outside of the environment of the car that it was designed for is very difficult as the PCM needs to see the data on the serial data link from the other computers onboard to even start the engine.

One nice thing about the 93-99 Northstars is that many of the aftermarket PCM setups use the Northstar crank position sensor setup and direct fire coil pack so they are readily adapted to the Northstar directly. Not so with the Northstars after 2000. The 2000-2004 engines are very different from the early Northstars. The cranks sensors are different electronically, they are in different locations in the block and they have a different reluctor wheel pattern on the crank that the sensors are looking at. The 2000 and later engines use the coil-at-plug ignition system that requires the factory PCM to digest the crank sensor info to fire. The 2000 and later engines use a Siemens controller with proprietary computer language that is very very difficult to hack and you can brain-dead the PCM by trying to reflash or modify electronically. The 93-99 systems will not play on the 2000 and later engines at all.

If you really really want a Northstar for a project I would barter the 2004 for a nice 92-99 that would be much easier to get running in an alternative location/installation.