: 93 Fleetwoods compared to 1996 Fleetwoods

easymoney$$$$
06-09-06, 03:59 AM
I have a clean 1993 blue Fleetwood with 129,000 miles, I'm second owner. I like it but wish I had a 1995-1996 with the extra 75 horsepower FI and upgraded rear view mirrors. Are the 95-96 Fleetwoods that much better cars? I drove a 97 Deville that would hall ass and spin a tire. My 93 Fleetwood won't hardly spin a tire on a gravel road. It does have enough power for my everyday driving but I wish it had a little more get up and go. I am thinking about buying a 1996 when I find a clean low mileage car. Does my 93 have a computor chip that I could upgrade? What else are the major differences in 93 and 96 Fleetwoods? easymoney$$$$...rollin

Night Wolf
06-09-06, 07:19 AM
'97 DeVille had the Northstar.... very different car.

Thats up to you to decide, the 350 has its perks over the LT1 as well.... but, its a SBC, there are unlimited performance parts out there for it, computer chips too.

96Fleetwood
06-09-06, 11:34 AM
Yes, they are that much better :thumbsup: I had a 1991 Fleetwood Brougham and 1993 TC Cartier before my current 1996 Fleetwood and this car by far is superior even when stock.. and I have built the '96 into a Luxury barge with Attitude! You can see my list of modifications up above in the ownership line.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture041.jpg

Take care,
Elias

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-09-06, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I had a '95 Roadmaster with the same 350LT1 and it would spin both rear tires at 3/4 throttle. Performance was awesome, even on the highway. I never did any aftermarket parts, but theres a TON out there for the LT1, but a lot too for the L05 (1993 350).

brougham
06-09-06, 12:24 PM
Maybe there's something wrong with it. I can easily spin the tires on my 1991 without even trying and I don't have to be on a gravel road either.

Rick186
06-09-06, 12:38 PM
WHOA!
Elias . . .
Reading your top line makes me drool.
Could you drop down and fire off a complete list?
Also, how much drop did you put on the lady and what's the ground clearance?
I have a nasty curb/driveway to contend with and I'm afraid of getting the car high-centered if wifey is driving at some time in the future and cuts the corner and that granite curb catches the drive shaft.
Also, is FL a non-emissions check state? CT is one of those holier-than-thou states that checks everything newer than 1967 except diesels, and I have a buddy that got nipped for his chip in his 75 Chevy. Busted for $$$.

Thanks,

Rick186
06-09-06, 12:49 PM
Re-reading my post, I better explain the 1975 Chevy with a "chip."

It's a red, convertible, fully, frame-off restored with a newer Corvette motor which has every external part chromed. The owner is a friend of a friend who frequents local cruise nights.

He plopped the motor in but had to go to the inspection station a year later on a routine schedule and the thing did not pass emissions, thus the $$$. Out came the chip, etc.

Damn bureaucrats and their hatred for older "dirty" cars. Hell, the car isn't a trailer queen, but he probaly doesn't drive it more than 1,000 miles a year, so the pollution question is ridiculous.

96Fleetwood
06-09-06, 12:49 PM
Thanks! Sure, no problem.. here goes (keep in mind I planned and budgeted the purchase of the Fleetwood and all the modifications for about 1 year) :

1) K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit: $180.00
2) 1LE elbow: $60.00
3) TB Bypass: $2.00 (an easy modification, takes an hour)
4) CIA Chromex Headers: $750 installed
5) Borla Cat-back Exhaust: $900 installed
6) Bilstein Shocks: $280 plus installation
7) Impala SS Springs (drops the car around 1.25 inches): $80.00 plus install
8) Hotchkis F&R Sway bars: $530 installed
9) UMI rear upper and lower control arms: $320 installed
10) 1996 Corvette Starter: $125.00
11) Tinted Tails: $25.00 (done myself)
12) Chrome Impala SS wheels with custom centercaps: $2000 with tires

There are also a few other little things I did like change light bulbs, paint the calipers, etc, etc. I can honestly say I have built what I envisioned a year ago, the perfect daily driver and weekend show car. Thanks the the Fleetwood guys at www.impalassforum.com (http://www.impalassforum.com) and others!

As for your emissions question, I still have the Cats, so it is 50 state legal (especially needed if I move back to Virginia)!

The Fleetwood goes on the dyno June 17th.. I will be sure to post video and numbers!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture038.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture037.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture035.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture039.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/P5090680.jpg

Take care,
Elias

Rick186
06-09-06, 01:07 PM
I better explain this:

When Gini and I were first married, our apartment lease said "No Dogs or Cats Allowed." Yet there were lots of squawking birds all over the place and we had both had dogs. One day I happened to see a passel of baby skunks and . . . guess what!

We got a pet skunk.

Said skunk was totally quiet, made a fabulous pet, used a sandbox like a cat, affectionate like a dog, the Indiana Dept of Conservation came once a year to see if we were treating her well, etc. But, she went wacko with special treats and put her paws over her nose when we gave her such. SO . . . your Cadillac is what we call "Paws over the nose too much !!!"

SHE'S GORGEOUS!

I've downloaded your info and photos and again many thanks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-09-06, 04:57 PM
Elias, I am so goddamn jealous right now it's sickening ;)

Eldo1953
06-09-06, 06:12 PM
I have a clean 1993 blue Fleetwood with 129,000 miles, I'm second owner. I like it but wish I had a 1995-1996 with the extra 75 horsepower FI and upgraded rear view mirrors. Are the 95-96 Fleetwoods that much better cars? I drove a 97 Deville that would hall ass and spin a tire. My 93 Fleetwood won't hardly spin a tire on a gravel road. It does have enough power for my everyday driving but I wish it had a little more get up and go. I am thinking about buying a 1996 when I find a clean low mileage car. Does my 93 have a computor chip that I could upgrade? What else are the major differences in 93 and 96 Fleetwoods? easymoney$$$$...rollin

Hey dont forget about the traction control, you gotta turn that off!:alchi:

caddycruiser
06-10-06, 10:09 AM
Here's my "shorty" opinion on this, having both a '93 and a '95 in the driveway:

-Both drive pretty much identically, as far as the daily grind goes
-Unless pushed, the power level of each really doesn't feel that different...i.e., typical stop & go traffic and highway cruising, the TBI 350 and the LT1 are almost identical
-I can chirp the tires in each, but if given anymore than light throttle, the '95 LT1 comes alive and will fishtail, squealing the tires loudly until it gets enough traction. The '93 is similar, and I've slid the back end out a few times in it too, but it just doesn't sit there grasping for traction as much because of extra power.
-The '95 feels "zingier", or at least like it will wind out a little quicker and smoother. The '93 feels "meaty", and accelerates like a big, heavy turbine with a bit firmer shifts--quick, but not as much so as the '95 can be under similar load.

-Mirrors on the '95 are a LOT better, even if just from a looks standpoint. Honestly, you can only see a little bit more with the newer ones, but they also seem a lot more naturally placed--and not oddly, like the dinky little ugly ones on the older cars.

Other than that, not much else is different. I enjoy both pretty much equally, and though it's been a while since I've taken the '93 out, still look forward to it when the chance arises.

Like I've said, in typical daily driving, I don't notice much of any difference, BUT this is with 2 totally stock cars. While you can boost the TBI 350 up a little, it's the LT1 where the real possibilities exist--intakes, computer programming, etc.--and most of which can be done cheaply and quickly. More importantly, the end results are also that much greater with the LT1 as well...basically because it's quite a bit more powerful in stock base form.

Daily driving, and with no mods, my '95 (or any for that matter) doesn't really present itself as a fire breathing beast, but I know the potential is there--and can be tinkered with more than the '93.

If you can find a deal on a newer model of your liking, go for it, but in the meantime, I'd highly suggest at least finding one to drive--otherwise you'll never really know if it's something you'd want or not.

96Fleetwood
06-12-06, 09:43 PM
Gotta love the underhood shots of a modified LT1 Fleetwood :thumbsup:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture056.jpg

Now I just need to get her running right.. the tranny has decided to act up, but when I scanned for codes it looks like it is only the torque converter solenoid. I find out tomorrow :mad:

caddycruiser
06-13-06, 06:33 AM
Mine should be looking (and running) a lot hotter this summer too:thumbsup:

Too bad you ran into those bugs after the header install--hopefully it's just some simple stuff.