: ROUGH INTO 2nd

Holmes815
06-08-06, 12:23 PM
I know I just got the car so I'm super critical, but to me it feels like every time I'm not gettin on the throttle hard from first to second there's a real rough (bumpy transition) not a clunky or noise or whine (Thank God) but almost like 2nd is too low. Does this sound like anything major (maybe transmission/clutch or since the stock shifter is super sloppy; definitely need to get a UUC or something soon.) Is it possible there isn't enough clutch fluid??? Am I just getting paranoid over the hottest car in the parking lot at work or is this a legitimate gripe??? HELP ME PLEASE!!! hahahah

James

The Tony Show
06-08-06, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but it sounds like you need to shift at higher RPMs, or give a little more gas when going into second.

I find the best way to get a nice squeal from the rears and no hop going from 1st to 2nd is to hit the gas a millisecond before releasing the clutch (as opposed to simultaneously).

I hope that helps.

Holmes815
06-08-06, 01:07 PM
Thats sounds like it makes sense; I'll have to try it on my way home. I know for me I'm so worried about the tranny and rear in general (from all the posts Ive seen) I want to be super aware before something actually happens. Thanks again

James

V Amazed
06-08-06, 02:15 PM
just out of curiosity, this non-smooth transition is not cags kicking in, is it? By too low, it sounds to me like you're getting skip-shifted to 4th without noticing. Something to pay attention to perhaps.

Ben

Holmes815
06-08-06, 02:19 PM
It can't be Cags since I put Stealth's Eliminator in; could it be a faulty resistor or something???

NH Vrod
06-08-06, 02:43 PM
Sound like you just have to get use to this car. I have had many standards in the years and this car is a bit unique in the way that you have to almost feather off the gas in first before depressing the clutch to shift into second, if not you will get a sort of a clunk from the drive train.
First gear is very low so when you let off the gas and push in the clutch you may be releasing it while under pressure from it actually holding back the car.

Holmes815
06-08-06, 02:59 PM
That does make sense, it totally feels like second could definatley be first in any other car!!!

obzidian
06-09-06, 02:51 PM
first gear is almost too short in this car, which is what we want for racing with this much weight but around town, it can get a bit annoying..

You release to fast in first and you'll get the clunkz. I usually only go from first from a dead stop and shift around 1200-1300rpm or 12-13mph (low, i know), and go into third, i seem to get less clunk that way. Around town when im rolling out slowly, i'll go to second and skip to fourth and cruise in fourth or fifth depending if i want to conserve mileage or have a bit o'fun driving through traffic.

Holmes815
06-09-06, 03:03 PM
I've actually been tyin the whole 1rst to third at lows speeds or shifting at a higher RPM into second and it feels much better!!! Thanks to all for the feedback, my stomach feels a lot better now!!!!

The Tony Show
06-09-06, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the update, it's a rarity on car forums. Usually people just disappear once the advice is given, so it's nice to hear a thanks.

:thumbsup:

kgoch
06-09-06, 03:13 PM
I usually take it to 4 grand before shifting to second. It seems to like it about there, even around town.

obzidian
06-09-06, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the update, it's a rarity on car forums. Usually people just disappear once the advice is given, so it's nice to hear a thanks.

:thumbsup:

:eek: we have to say thank as well when given advice that actually works?

ctsvett
06-10-06, 02:10 AM
I kinda hve this issue as well. I think it may be the synchros... Only when I baby the car in traffic though.

Reed