: Speedometer Cluster Removal

CoupeDevilleRob
06-07-06, 09:18 PM
How do you get the speedometer cluster out? I need to remove mine for two reasons, 1. It's making a little noise and the cable needs to be lubed and 2. One of the bulbs for the shift indicator is out. I'm having trouble disconnecting the cable. How the hell does it come off? Does it just pull out or is it threaded? If anyone knows a trick for disconnecting these things please share it, its driving me nuts that I can't get this thing out.

DopeStar 156
06-08-06, 02:44 AM
I went through this snatching one from that 87 Brougham parts car. Feel around the back there's a little black tab thingy at the top of the cable. Push it in, and pull out the cable. Comes right the hell out. You'll prolly laugh when you get it out too....

CoupeDevilleRob
06-08-06, 06:24 PM
Push the tab in and pull the cable out, that's it? I probably tried everything but that.

DopeStar 156
06-09-06, 01:06 AM
Yeah dude, it doesn't take much effort at all. Like I said, you'll prolly laugh when you get the thing out.

CoupeDevilleRob
06-09-06, 02:24 PM
Well, Operation Speedometer Removal was a success, although not without its glitches. The electrical connectors gave me a hard time. I wound up disconnecting the speedo cable at the tranny and feeding some slack through the fire wall. Once I did that the cable popped off no problem (You were right Dope, that part was rediculously easy). The wires on the connectors had enough slack for me to change the bulbs and get to the cable no problem.