: Cracked And Faded Top

caddydream
06-07-06, 06:42 PM
I'm in love with another and my wife doesn't realize it.

My Brougham, that is. After one week I'm infatuated with my Caddy. I'm thinking of selling my Oldsmobiles. Is this sane?

Anyhow the Corinithian Leather (vinyl) top is cracked and faded. I tried vinyl top cleaner and Armour All. Just soaks it up. There used to be a lot of products out there for these tops but they are out of fashion now. The young guy at Advance never had a vinyl top and had nothing for it.

Any suggestions?

Johnny Bravo
06-08-06, 09:46 PM
Anyhow the Corinithian Leather (vinyl) top is cracked and faded. I tried vinyl top cleaner and Armour All. Just soaks it up. There used to be a lot of products out there for these tops but they are out of fashion now. The young guy at Advance never had a vinyl top and had nothing for it.
Any suggestions?
There's not much you can do with a vinyl top once it's that far gone, either live with it or have it replaced.

Around $300-350 at an auto upolstery shop.

Benzilla
06-08-06, 10:07 PM
what he said.

caddydream
06-09-06, 05:43 AM
Aw shucks!

I'll go to plan B. Which is repair it myself. Clear RTV for the cracks and a good quality floor wax afterward.

I used to be a janitor so I'll do it up good.

Thanks for the replies.

Night Wolf
06-09-06, 06:13 AM
The top will look really bad if you do that... just get it replaced if you have the means....

and no, you can't leave the Oldsmobile family.... nope.

Broughamadrosis
06-09-06, 12:35 PM
Get it replaced!
Once the water gets under it, the roof will rust around the windsheld, and you'll have leaks - guaranteed - ask me how I know...

I had a REALLY nice 88 Royale, southern car, elderly owned, spotless underneath - but the vinyl split, and the roof rotted, and developed a windshield leak. This resulted in a mildew smell inside that drove me nuts - not to mention a wet lap on rainy days - no amount of RTV would stop the leak - I had to get rid of the car, which was a shame because the rest of it was mint...
Now my 92 Brougham is doing the exact same thing - it's just a parts car, but I keep it in the garage to keep the good interior from going to hell...

Johnny Bravo
06-09-06, 07:40 PM
Aw shucks!
I'll go to plan B. Which is repair it myself. Clear RTV for the cracks and a good quality floor wax afterward.
I'm out. :leaving:

caddydream
06-09-06, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

My sanity has returned and I am keeping my Delta. I want to upgrade the 307 to a 350. The Cruiser is being driven by my mother in law to keep the wife happy.

I had a 84 Buick Park Ave that rusted under the vinyl top. And it leaked to no end. Thought I could temporarily repair the Caddy's top now and replace later when finances permit.

I know to remove the vinyl is next to impossible. Tried that with the Buick and it looked like s__t with the glue still there. The top of that car rusted all around the edges and down the pillars. It would have been a convertible before long. And it did develop a musty smell inside.

Will have to think on this.

bloodclot
06-10-06, 06:27 PM
i have the same problem with mine. i asked around and they said bout 1200 to install a new one. crazy money