: Pulling a boat with a "V"

05ctsvfan
06-07-06, 06:45 AM
I know this is a CTS-V board, I own one!!

I was launching my ski's this past weekend, with my Chevy-Colly, and launching next to me a huge ski boat was a guy with a brand spanking new STS-V.....

UNREAL!!! Anyone want to bet that's a lease...haha...Wish I had a camera...

Kadonny
06-07-06, 08:00 AM
Thats crazy, totally crazy. Anyone launching a boat with a RWD vehicle is nuts. All you need is a slick ramp when you pull it and the car is sitting there spinning or worse yet going backwards towards the water.

When I had my boat I saw many a car stuck on the ramp and thats why I always had a 4wd truck to launch and recover.

Dooman
06-07-06, 04:39 PM
Thats crazy, totally crazy. Anyone launching a boat with a RWD vehicle is nuts. All you need is a slick ramp when you pull it and the car is sitting there spinning or worse yet going backwards towards the water.

When I had my boat I saw many a car stuck on the ramp and thats why I always had a 4wd truck to launch and recover.

Are you serious?? My family pulled boats forever with Buick wagons that were rear-drive without a problem.. Lakes, oceans.. dirt ramps..
4WD helps a lot but it can be safely done rear-drive....

But I agree.. an STS-V???? geeze..

kjr39
06-07-06, 05:19 PM
Yeah, my pops pulled a 21' foot boat with a Caprice Classic for years. Never had a problem...

Then agian, it was damn near bigger than the boat...

Kadonny
06-07-06, 05:19 PM
Really? Wow, I saw many 2wd trucks stuck, never saw a car towing a bigger boat though.

I was talking the ocean here where all the ramps are concrete usually with grooves in them. If dry, you were ok, but at the end of the day with all the swampy saltwater and seaweed and stuff, it made a tough go of it.

blown65
06-07-06, 08:18 PM
We pull our 28' Daytona out with our truck in 2wd. Of course our truck is 11k lbs empty. LOL

rand49er
06-07-06, 08:22 PM
There's two "best days" of boat ownership: the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I just experienced the second day last Saturday with my Malibu ski boat. :thumbsup:

Anyway, do they even make a hitch for the V? They do for the CTS, but I checked last year, and the local dealer said he didn't think so. Better check that out.

kjr39
06-07-06, 08:25 PM
The best part of a boat is having a friend that has one...

Other than that, they suck.

I want to see the redneck that puts a hitch on a V.

mostoyzwinz
06-07-06, 10:02 PM
All depends on the ramp. Shallow, rough concrete, no drop-off, no sand, 2WD is :thumbsup: . Add steep, smooth/wet, drop-off, sand and I can tell you I pulled at least a half dozen 2WDs out of the hole last summer. It was comical, lake was low. But a V??? Blasphemy.

Luna.
06-07-06, 11:02 PM
Yeah, my pops pulled a 21' foot boat with a Caprice Classic for years. Never had a problem...

Then agian, it was damn near bigger than the boat...

Gotta love "boat" cars...:)

:histeric:

Koooop
06-08-06, 01:31 PM

I've towed plenty of boats with plenty of Cadillac's! The dealer told me they would void most of my warranty if I put a tow hitch on the V as towing with the V is expressly prohibited in the Owners Book.

Bummer!

I'd be the Redneck that would've had the hitch on my V! Just back it on down the ramp unitl the shit in your trunk is floating! A little salt water wouldn't mess up the Brembos! (would it?) The lame ass parking brake would never hold on the ramp when you get out to float you boat...Blub, blub, blub, hydrolocking an LS6 would be criminal.

diverdan
06-13-06, 11:00 AM
I would actually like to get one of those small, low observable hitches for my V. Not to tow anything, but to be able to attach a decent bike rack. It is easy and quick to put on and take off and won't damage the paint like the ones that strap to your trunk.

I know some would say use another vehicle, but I bought the V to be my only vehicle, replacing a C5Z, and I'm moving to San Francisco, not the easiest place to own multiple vehicles.

Dooman
06-13-06, 11:58 AM
I would actually like to get one of those small, low observable hitches for my V. Not to tow anything, but to be able to attach a decent bike rack. It is easy and quick to put on and take off and won't damage the paint like the ones that strap to your trunk.

I know some would say use another vehicle, but I bought the V to be my only vehicle, replacing a C5Z, and I'm moving to San Francisco, not the easiest place to own multiple vehicles.

I own a pick-up and still use one of those bike racks, they're great.. Mine swings so I can still load the bed. And I agree, you should look for one if you do biking, maybe a black plastic plug can fill the hole in the bumper cover..

wildwhl
06-13-06, 09:57 PM
Boats are for neighbors - sort of like blondes :stirpot:

WW