: CTS-V track times at Thunderhill?

Georges06CTS-V
06-06-06, 10:13 PM
I plan on running my 06 V at Thunderhill June 22nd and was curious what kind of track times people have done at Thunderhill in their V's. I had a modded 03 ZO6 and did a best of 2:01 in modded form and a best of 2:12 in stock form. Seat time and the mods helped with the reduced times. I am hoping for a 2:15 in the V and was curious if it can or has been done. Thanks. :)

VELOSE
06-07-06, 12:42 AM
I've been to Thunderhill once in the V. They didn't have those timers for rent when I went. I know we should be in the 2 minute range but I can't confirm if 2:15.

I will be there on June 22nd as well. I'm going with www.hookedondriving.com. See you there. :thumbsup:

rgd
06-07-06, 05:05 AM
Yes, I am sure the V will do 215's if you have done anything to the suspension, brakes and/or engine. I was there two weeks ago turning on average 2:21 to 2:23 times. I had three laps under 2:20 with my best lap of the day 2:18:36. I have a hot lap timer so those were accurate times.

I will be there on the 23rd, bummer i will miss both of you guys. I will have one new mod to hopefully help the cause, slotted front rotors and Hawk HP + pads, even though I was told recently that the pads aren't much better than sock.

Wait, make that two new mods, a wide angle lens for my video camera. Oh but I don't think that will make me drive any faster.

Good luck, have fun.

rgd

VELOSE
06-07-06, 11:12 AM
RGD,
Where can I get a "hot lap timer"? They used to rent them at the track. I'd like to get one of my own.

50 4Ever
06-07-06, 11:43 AM
RGD,
Where can I get a "hot lap timer"? They used to rent them at the track. I'd like to get one of my own.

Some events at TH they do rent transponders, but I'm not sure if TH owns them or the group that sponsors the track day has them that they take from track to track.

I ran my V at TH in April just after I got the Hotchkis bars installed, they make a great difference.

Have fun and keep the shiny side up.

:thumbsup:

rgd
06-07-06, 07:46 PM
RGD,

You can pick one up thru Summit Racing Equip.

Call me if you still have my number and/or pm me for info if you need it. Track masters usually provides the tansponder all you need with them is the reciever. might be the same with the group you are going with, don'r know. You should check it out before setting a transponder up though. At one event there were two transponders set up. Made it a pain in the butt; had to add the two times for the right time.

thanks~rgd
Any word on your GC kit?

Georges06CTS-V
06-07-06, 08:15 PM
ioportracing.com > This is where I bought my Hot Lap timer. They are located in Lafayette and are good guy's to deal with. I need to pick up a new cable for mine before the 22nd.

It's nice to know that someone has done a 2:18 in a V at Thunderhill. All I know is it better turn faster lap times then my buddies 05 Mustang GT, lol.

I can't wait for the 22nd. It's been a while since I've been on a road course.

Velose: what group did you sign up with? I'm in the C group and think it would be cool to follow each other one of the sessions. I want to buy some pics on a disk and think it would make some nice shots.

VELOSE
06-07-06, 11:46 PM
I'll be in the B group. However, I'm going to ask to be moved to C group. Last time I was in intermediate, traffic was holding me up too much. We'll see if that can happen. As for the pics, I'll be looking for those too. I will have for the first time, my digicam on a headrest mount taking footage. This way the wife believes I take it to my limits on the track. ;)

m3driver
06-08-06, 11:26 PM
I plan on running my 06 V at Thunderhill June 22nd and was curious what kind of track times people have done at Thunderhill in their V's. I had a modded 03 ZO6 and did a best of 2:01 in modded form and a best of 2:12 in stock form. Seat time and the mods helped with the reduced times. I am hoping for a 2:15 in the V and was curious if it can or has been done. Thanks. :)

high 2:11s with the cyclone. Last year in July. I could only knock out about 3-4 laps before the oil temp went through the roof. Otherwise for a bone stock car on bald stock tires I was pretty happy, especially with the brakes, I thought for sure the brakes were going to be the weak link. With increase in runoff in T8 and the new pavement coming out of T11 I could probably do better than last year. especially on semi-decent tires.

The amazing thing is the 209s guys do in spec miatas. My personal best so far is a 201.7 in the M3 with the cyclone. I hope to break into the 159s one of these days....

CTS5
06-09-06, 12:09 AM
What's a cyclone?

:hmm:

m3driver
06-16-06, 01:32 AM
What's a cyclone?

:hmm:

Turn 5 when going up the hill is called the cyclone. If you don't go over the hill it's the "bypass". Bypass lap times are 1.5-2.5 seconds faster than using the cyclone.

FYI - the "corkscrew" is Turn 8 at Laguna Seca, and the Caroseul (sp?) is Turn 6 at sears point.

Marco

Georges06CTS-V
06-16-06, 11:14 AM
high 2:11s with the cyclone. Last year in July. I could only knock out about 3-4 laps before the oil temp went through the roof. Otherwise for a bone stock car on bald stock tires I was pretty happy, especially with the brakes, I thought for sure the brakes were going to be the weak link. With increase in runoff in T8 and the new pavement coming out of T11 I could probably do better than last year. especially on semi-decent tires.

The amazing thing is the 209s guys do in spec miatas. My personal best so far is a 201.7 in the M3 with the cyclone. I hope to break into the 159s one of these days....

Nice lap times! I just swapped out all of my fluids to Amsoil Syn. and swapped my brake fluid out to Motul so hopefully the temps stay cool during the day.

My best in my ZO6 was a 201.9 with the cyclone. What tires were you running on the M3?

50 4Ever
06-16-06, 09:07 PM
Yes, I am sure the V will do 215's if you have done anything to the suspension, brakes and/or engine. I was there two weeks ago turning on average 2:21 to 2:23 times. I had three laps under 2:20 with my best lap of the day 2:18:36. I have a hot lap timer so those were accurate times.

I will be there on the 23rd, bummer i will miss both of you guys. I will have one new mod to hopefully help the cause, slotted front rotors and Hawk HP + pads, even though I was told recently that the pads aren't much better than sock.

Wait, make that two new mods, a wide angle lens for my video camera. Oh but I don't think that will make me drive any faster.

Good luck, have fun.

rgd

Have fun on the 23rd. Just got an email from Doug Gail, they are running the course in the opposite direction that day. They say it's fun.

Georges06CTS-V
06-17-06, 02:19 PM
Have fun on the 23rd. Just got an email from Doug Gail, they are running the course in the opposite direction that day. They say it's fun.

Nice meeting you today at MSI. Hopefully you can make it to Thunderhill this week. Take care...

George

50 4Ever
06-17-06, 09:22 PM
Nice meeting you today at MSI. Hopefully you can make it to Thunderhill this week. Take care...

George

Great meeting you today George. When I was leaving I thought I should have taken you for a short ride so you could hear what the Magnaflow's sound like inside the cabin.

I will try to make it one of the days just to spectate. I might see you up there.

Doug

VELOSE
06-19-06, 06:55 PM
George, seems I won't be able to make it this week. Due to certain health issues, I'll have to catch you at another track event with hooked on driving. Go out there and show them whose boss. ;)

Georges06CTS-V
06-19-06, 10:01 PM
George, seems I won't be able to make it this week. Due to certain health issues, I'll have to catch you at another track event with hooked on driving. Go out there and show them whose boss. ;)

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. :( I'm sure that we will meet up soon. I'll give everyone hell on Thursday. :want:

George :)

50 4Ever
06-19-06, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear about that Frank, I am going to try to be there Thursday to spectate. See ya there George, I hope to get there by 9:30. I want to see that lap timer of yours.

VELOSE
06-20-06, 12:57 AM
I was thinking of showing up just to spectate too. I'll see if I feel good enough to go.

50 4Ever
06-20-06, 12:47 PM
I was thinking of showing up just to spectate too. I'll see if I feel good enough to go.

Spectating will probably be better, I just ckecked the forecast for Willows : Thursday will be 107 and Friday will be 108. We can spectate from the 3rd floor of the airconditioned admin building.

rgd
06-21-06, 02:57 AM

Thanks it should be fun, Hot and fun! Guess I had better start drinking water now!
rgd

Georges06CTS-V
06-21-06, 08:28 PM
Thanks it should be fun, Hot and fun! Guess I had better start drinking water now!
rgd

lol, yes bring lot's of water and suntan lotion. :)

I'll see everyone at the track. :thumbsup:

George

50 4Ever
06-23-06, 08:36 PM
lol, yes bring lot's of water and suntan lotion. :)

I'll see everyone at the track. :thumbsup:

George

Had so much fun at TH yesterday I went back today. rgd was there burning up the track, literally. They were running the track backwards and using the bypass today, I went out with rgd one session and it was a whole different track. I think he might have some comments on the UUC shifter, I'll let him explain. He ended the day using a Craftsman shifter, I didn't even know they made a shifter.

I think the next time they do this I'll have to sign up.:highfive:

Georges06CTS-V
06-23-06, 09:05 PM
504ever, nice meeting you Thursday at Thunderhill. Thanks for rising me and giving me some pointers. I took your advised and the car felt better going into the turns. Here is a pic of us....

This was the 1st time out in my V and all in all I was happy with the car. It was 106* or so that day so the track was really greasy and my RSA's hooked like crap! I hate these tires. Next time I go out I'm going to try and run better rubber.

http://i3.tinypic.com/15fq9fr.jpg

stkshkr
06-23-06, 09:17 PM
What is on the front of your car and the mirrors?

Dennisscars
06-23-06, 09:22 PM
Lot's o' bugs in that part of the country this time of year... too darn hot for me, maybe in the fall..:bouncy:

did they make you run rear windows down as well as front or was it just bloody hot?

After 3pm at Buttonwillow just about any tires get greasy, would light up rear tires over 100mph.. but that may just have been mail order tune...
ran LS in misting rain, could not run over 4k rpm without lighting up rear tires.

Georges06CTS-V
06-23-06, 09:31 PM
Lot's o' bugs in that part of the country this time of year... too darn hot for me, maybe in the fall..:bouncy:

did they make you run rear windows down as well as front or was it just bloody hot?

After 3pm at Buttonwillow just about any tires get greasy, would light up rear tires over 100mph.. but that may just have been mail order tune...
ran LS in misting rain, could not run over 4k rpm without lighting up rear tires.

Yes, way too many bugs around. I did a few top speed runs on the way up to the track and those runs collected the most bugs. The car is all cleaned up again. :)

We had to roll down the front windows but since it was so hot I rolled all of my windows down.

50 4Ever
06-23-06, 09:37 PM
504ever, nice meeting you Thursday at Thunderhill. Thanks for rising me and giving me some pointers. I took your advised and the car felt better going into the turns. Here is a pic of us....

This was the 1st time out in my V and all in all I was happy with the car. It was 106* or so that day so the track was really greasy and my RSA's hooked like crap! I hate these tires. Next time I go out I'm going to try and run better rubber.

Great picture. same guy was there today, nice little racket he has.

Dennisscars
06-23-06, 09:38 PM
The bugs were so bad on the drive up I had to use the outside shower of the toybox to wash off the car.

I run these Nitto's and they are all that..
http://www.americastire.com/product/tires/nithz8.l.jpg

50 4Ever
06-23-06, 09:40 PM

Mail order tune, HA, I've never heard of a tune that included a Maggie.:worship:

Georges06CTS-V
06-23-06, 09:41 PM
The bugs were so bad on the drive up I had to use the outside shower of the toybox to wash off the car, now I have a longer hose, I'm sure I was a sight with that short hose... (shat up Luna...)

I run these Nitto's and they are all that..
http://www.americastire.com/product/tires/nithz8.l.jpg

So you like the Nittos. What size Nitto's are you running? I also heard these are better than the Toyo RA1's and if that's the case these would be ideal for me.

Dennisscars
06-23-06, 09:45 PM
Maggie doesn't really come to life until it's properly tuned. Nothing like seeing the TC light come as you come through 5k in 4th! :eek:

245/40ZR-18 cannot speak to Toyo's but Nittos much better than my first set of Dunlop race compounds,
Nitto's very predictable, my son runs Kumo comp slicks on the goat.

After watching this video I was certain to drive this course... pretty cool flying over a hill you can't see the other side of...
http://wurthwines.com/WMS/Vid/Thunderhill_CW-2-8-2003-Lap7_web.wmv

VELOSE
06-25-06, 09:18 AM
I'm glad you guys had a great time. All day Thursday I was telling myself, "I could've been out there flying over turn 10." :D

I have credit with www.hookedondriving.com for my next event. I'm going to try and make it by next month. If not, I won't be able to go till September. Hope to see you all next time. ;)

50 4Ever
06-26-06, 10:03 PM
I'm glad you guys had a great time. All day Thursday I was telling myself, "I could've been out there flying over turn 10." :D

I have credit with www.hookedondriving.com (http://www.hookedondriving.com) for my next event. I'm going to try and make it by next month. If not, I won't be able to go till September. Hope to see you all next time. ;)

Frank, you really need to get out more. If you fly over turn 10 you'll end up in the grass. :eek: Turn 9 is the one to fly over, 10 is a sharp left hander.

I rode with Bob (rdg) one session on Friday when they were running the track clockwise and they were using the bypass of #5. You talk about flying over turn 9, well let me tell you that flying over the bypass is something. You straighted out the car at the bottom and it is straight up and over, car gets very light. I've heard that some cars literally "fly" over.

VELOSE
06-26-06, 10:38 PM
You're right, it's turn 9. I'm full throttle coming over that hump that when I go to the next gear before turn 10, I have to do the gear change earlier to avoid tail whip from the torque of the maggie. Seems tail whip and less grip due to loss of gravity could equal a big mistake.

I need to learn heal and toe technique. I don't like how the car kicks when I downshift sometimes. That's another thread though.

50 4Ever
06-27-06, 11:41 AM
You're right, it's turn 9. I'm full throttle coming over that hump that when I go to the next gear before turn 10, I have to do the gear change earlier to avoid tail whip from the torque of the maggie. Seems tail whip and less grip due to loss of gravity could equal a big mistake.

I need to learn heal and toe technique. I don't like how the car kicks when I downshift sometimes. That's another thread though.

I can't get heel&toe down either so I blip & downshift then get on the brakes for the turn. I have done it this way for over three years. I took a 3-day advanced driving course at Bragg-Smith (Spring Mountain now) in November of 2002, driving their Corvettes, and they were teaching heel&toe. I thought I was getting it down then one time I was going into a hairpin hot and doing the heel&toe, well my foot slipped off the brake. I made my apex but was carrying too much speed and I knew I was going off so I straightened her up and drove off. Everytime I try heel&toe I remember this and I do not want to go offroading in my car.:eek:

When I downshift this way I match wheel & engine speed and you can hardly even notice the downshift. There is a turn there (5 & 5B) sort of like 14 & 15 at TH that I downshift to 3rd before 5A, and down shift to 2nd before 5B and the car isn't going straight.