: Should I buy a used CTS-V?

cantwaitforctsv
06-06-06, 08:34 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've been thinking about getting a CTS-V for some time now. Found a dealer with a 2004 demo with 6000 miles for sale for $37,500. It was the owners car and now he is selling it. Several questions for all you owners. Are there any major problems with these cars or this model year? Would I be better off getting a newer model? What do you like and dislike about the car. What is real would gas mileage with this car? I know this varies on how hard you drive it, but give me some numbers.

Any info would be appreciated.

By the way, they are letting me take it for an extended test drive this Friday-Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting to know the car a little better then.

2004ctsv
06-06-06, 08:50 PM
From Edmunds.com for 2004 V w/ low miles

Trade in $35,400
Retail $40,000

Have a mechanic, or do it yourself, check the drivetrain. Especially the rear end.

If you have it for the weekend, push the car with some strong accelerations. Listen for noise (whine) from the drivetrain.

Negotiate for an extended warranty.

T

nikon
06-06-06, 08:54 PM
04's have the on-star antenna on the glass (annoying) 05's dont...but I will say I got my 05' with 6 on the clock for 37k granted the buil date is 04 but it's still an 05'...If I granny the car I get 18mpg mixed, I usually average 24 all highway, but I can get 26 highway, the way I usually drive it I get 16mpg avg...my only dislikes are the weight, it's just damn heavy at 2 tons...and the rear ends are very weak and whine alot...other than that I love the car to death, I chose it over a c6 vette fully loaded.

cantwaitforctsv
06-06-06, 09:22 PM
The nice thing about this being a demo is that the warranty starts when it is bought. So I would have 4 years of warranty. I don't know if I would have the whole 50,000 miles or just 44,000.

I've read about this whining sound. Is this only with 04 models? Is there a problem with the rear end or drivetrain?

mike041357
06-06-06, 09:29 PM
A brand new '05 with 15 miles just sold on eBay for $37,100. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4642485121&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A112&id=

So keep looking......

Dennisscars
06-06-06, 09:31 PM
They are all krap.. must be true there is plenty of "my car is krap here..."

let us know what you think after your test drive... if you don't get a shieat eatin' grin after 20 min's then this car is not for you...

get the extended warranty and drive it like you stole it.. repeat.. it's a car not a kidney..

mostoyzwinz
06-06-06, 10:29 PM
let us know what you think after your test drive... if you don't get a shieat eatin' grin after 20 min's then this car is not for you...

get the extended warranty and drive it like you stole it.. repeat.. it's a car not a kidney..

You can/should spend hours perusing this forum. Do a search on all the questions you can think of. But, if you're the type, all the negative will be instantly erased by that "shieat eatin' grin".

Jschmank
06-06-06, 10:59 PM
I think buying used is smart, and shop around. You will be able to find a good deal on a used V. Check out autotrader.com and other sources like that. Some V's sit on the dealers lot for a long time and they are probably happy to consider a deal. With an extended warranty you can sometimes have a better warranty than new.

Kyle15
06-06-06, 11:23 PM
dude anything from 37 to 39k for a V with under 10k miles is pretty legit. Personally I'd rather have a 2 year old car that has 6k miles than one with 15 miles. A car sitting for two years is much more likely to have problems than one that was gently driven, hopefully. The bottom line is I bought my car three months ago and everytime I get in the car I am smiling ear to ear. My previous car was a C32 AMG and I can honestly say that I love this car more, a lot more. I havent had any problems except for some stiff shifting now and then especially when its cold but I mean, these cars have character. A little whine here or a groan there is just fine by me. Especially when you can spin the wheels shifting from 1st to 2nd in a stock sedan, you know have bought something worth while in my opinion.

japx
06-07-06, 07:27 AM
Folks:
you might want to take a look at a 05/06 GTO... Same power drive much less $$$. I have both and love the LS2 and 6 speed (both have pitiful shifters and at least the GTO is eaier to replace). The CTS-V is a great car but I would be hesitant about previous owner and others driver habits. Most Cadillac dealers get whacky(rare experience at a car with go and a 6 speed) when they get these V's (unless they sell GTO's or Vettes also) and tend to overdrive these cars a bit......

fig32
06-07-06, 08:13 AM
I think you should easily be able to find an 05 from a private party for similar money. I purchased an 05 from a forum member with 14K on the clock with new GSD3 tires, Corsa, Clear Bra and CAGS eliminator for the same dough. They are certainly out there and many guys are ready to move on. That doesn't mean they beat on their cars. I usually don't keep a car more than 2 years and meticulously maintain them. Good luck!

Mark

Billy0009
06-07-06, 01:51 PM
I bought an 05 Silver with 7300 miles for 35500 on Saturday if this gives you any indication. I am in Houston and got it from a dealership that was asking 39k. Not sure which end of the stick I got, but I love the car so far and am happy with the deal. I have a Mustang Cobra convertable as well and it is a lot more sports car than my Cobra. Unbelievable.

V-Love
06-08-06, 02:30 AM
YES!!! MINE. Take over my payments. 2005 blk/blk. 11500miles(fla turnpike).

cantwaitforctsv
06-09-06, 11:05 PM
Well, I've already put about 100 miles on my test drive so far. This car is pretty awesome. Looks good, fast, sounds good. I can't hear any kind of whining or grinding of the rear end. What's a good price for this car? 2004 model, 6000 miles, dealer demo so it has never been titled. I assume the warranty will be a full 4 years. Will I get the full 50,000 mile warranty or will I only get 44,000? Are there any advantages to getting a newer model other than it just being newer from a resale standpoint?

mike041357
06-10-06, 02:05 AM
I'd find one on eBay the same year with about the same number of miles and watch it (put it on your "watch list"). Whatever it ends up going for or the highest bid at the end is pretty close to market value. Since you have yours in hand and don't have to pay shipping you might go about $1K higher.

Just a thought....

StealthV
06-10-06, 09:37 AM
The warranty is a good question. From my understanding, it starts when the car is sold. So in a typical situation say the car has 40 miles on it when purchased, then the warranty would be good from that "in-service" date for four years or until the odo read 50,040 miles.

Since this V is three model years old and has 6000 miles on it, it's definitely something to discuss with the dealer. If the V is still on MSO, never truly been titled, I would think the warranty would be good until 56,000 and 4 years from now. If not, it gives you a negotiating avenue.

Price? About the same as a used V that vintage since 6000 miles isn't "new" anymore. Low $30s?