: Inspection points thread!

elwesso
01-30-04, 06:49 PM
I thought I would start a thread about what people should look for in used cars...... I want everyones input on this.....

My preliminary points would be:
1. Check the body for scratches, dents, rust etc..... Pay special attention for rust around the wheel wells and door frames
2. Check the interior to make sure all the buttons work, and all the little compartments open fine and everything is fine...
3. When you open the hood, look inside the oil filler cap... It should be nice and clean... Also all the fluids should be in good condition....

I want to get input from anyone who has suggestions!!!

brougham
01-30-04, 08:40 PM
I check underneath to see what it looks like and if there are any leaks.

You forget abut this thread Wes? :)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5880

elwesso
01-30-04, 08:51 PM
Well mother of pearl I did, and I even started that other thread..... I will leave this one up, but I stuck the other one... If we get some other good info, we can merge them....

Elvis
01-30-04, 09:00 PM
Like I said in the other thread, check the carpet and spare tire well for any evidence of water leaking in.

But since you're talking inspection points now, how about looking at the anti-freeze and/or the oil for evidence of cross-leaks?

I like to start a car up when it's cold. If the guy's already warmed it up for you, you might be suspicious.

And I like to smell the exhaust--not enough to get a buzz--but sometimes you can detect by smell if something just isn't right. And check for gas or water coming out of the pipe. A little moisture is okay, but a lot could be a problem.

elwesso
01-30-04, 09:02 PM
That is a good point! Look for oil lights... my car has its oil light on at startup, and a new engine is in my future!! :(