: Free XM Satellite service.

arr0gant
06-06-06, 11:51 AM
Well, my car was a GM-Executive car when I bought it 6 months ago. It had Satellite service on when I bought it. The service is still on 6 months later, tho never paid for.

I was wondering, is this normal? Is it a 1st-year-free thing? Do you think GM is paying for it, and doesn't realize it, how long will it last?

Either way, free is awsum!!

G

Jon
06-06-06, 11:56 AM
When I bought my car used, it had no XM, only a demo thing, telling me this is a demo, bla bla bla. After I activated my Onstar, I surprisingly have all XM stations, and I'm not paying for it... But hey, I'm not complaining!

ophio6
06-06-06, 12:08 PM
Well, my car was a GM-Executive car when I bought it 6 months ago. It had Satellite service on when I bought it. The service is still on 6 months later, tho never paid for.

I was wondering, is this normal? Is it a 1st-year-free thing? Do you think GM is paying for it, and doesn't realize it, how long will it last?

Either way, free is awsum!!

G
Same thing with me. I brought an '06 GM-Exec V about 1 month ago and I had free XM, OnStar, and Phone. But I changed the OnStar and Phone to my name and had to pay a small amount for that.

wooderson
06-07-06, 09:59 PM
I had XM for 4 months and then received a bill in the mail asking for $475.00 for 4 years of xm service that I never signed on for. Apparantly there was some kind of BS program that required me to call and cancel when the trial period was up. They (xm) seem to be really desparate these days. Cadillac (GM) should be careful with this kind of shady partnership. Could cost them business in the future.

japx
06-08-06, 10:09 AM
Folks:
With the poor sound quality of XM I don't want it even for free. Went back to CD's and FM much better sound quailty, and thanx for the advise on the auto-bill unless cancelled scenerio.....

CIWS
06-08-06, 10:33 AM
I had XM for 4 months and then received a bill in the mail asking for $475.00 for 4 years of xm service that I never signed on for. Apparantly there was some kind of BS program that required me to call and cancel when the trial period was up. They (xm) seem to be really desparate these days. Cadillac (GM) should be careful with this kind of shady partnership. Could cost them business in the future.

Basically the same with me except I got a bill for 5 years worth that was roughly 600.00. I called them up and told them to do 1 year only so I could decide if I wanted to keep it longer than that. They said they'd keep my card number on file and renew it next year for me, to which I specifically instructed them NOT to do that. If I choose to renew it I will let them know and not to automatically charge my card at all. Especially if their idea of good programing was to add Oprah...

Jon
06-08-06, 10:59 AM
Folks:
With the poor sound quality of XM I don't want it even for free. Went back to CD's and FM much better sound quailty, and thanx for the advise on the auto-bill unless cancelled scenerio.....
Yeah, the sound quality sucks, but at least I can listen to hockey games. :)

Jon
06-08-06, 10:59 AM
Double post

V-SATX
06-08-06, 11:30 AM
I agree regarding quality. XM shut off at the 90 day mark. I am paying quarterly. I do enjoy Fox news radio and the talk show when on long trips to Houston.

Staxxin
06-08-06, 12:26 PM
I enjoy the music selection but I agree with you all... The quality sucks in our cars -FM sounds better. I'm truely surprised something hasn't been done to correct this.

dqw1
06-08-06, 06:12 PM
my subscription just ran out over the past weekend. Not only is the sound quality poor, the programming is starting to suck. XM was good when I first got it, or I thought it was, but now I can't see paying for this crap.
Ipod, CD's and FM now.

JOEYCTS-V
06-08-06, 06:29 PM
The said thing is, my Sirius S50 which uses an FM transmitter sounds 100 times better than the factory XM did.

CIWS
06-08-06, 06:31 PM
Is it Delphi just building a crappy XM receiver in the head unit ?
Sometimes the XM music sounds like it's been sampled at 96kbits and other times it's Ok.

BeagleBrains
06-08-06, 08:39 PM
The V is primarily my wife's car. I drive it on weekends. She said that she really likes the news channels. So: after the free period, I called XM to purchase a three year contract to take advantage of the discounted rate.
I hope there are no white rats on the Forum.
I agreed on a charge to my Credit Card. The next month's bill was for two different amounts. Neither amount was equal to the agreed upon 3-year contract. But, the total of the two charges was less than the expected charge. So! I called XM. The first person I spoke with mumbled through a long list of possible charges, referencing a three year agreement. He had suggested a new charge, added to the original two, that took the total over the contract amount in their brochure. After some arguing, I was transferred to his supervisor. Now the story gets very long.
Conclusion: My next Credit Card statement had cancellations of the two original charges, followed by a refund for $158.00. I called once more. These people are not just any idiots. They convinced me that my 3 year extension was paid in full. I am not calling again. Thank you very much. :bonkers: