: Thats it, I have had it............

Kadonny
06-06-06, 10:35 AM
........ I can no longer hold any grudges against this car :bouncy: .

Just one week back behind the wheel again and it's a rekindled love affair :thumbsup:

A few powerslides through some corners, a few "spirited" romps on the accelerator and hearing the Corsa sing to me, and many attempts at getting my G meter back to respectibility goes a long way in forgetting all the trouble I went through. I must say though I am a little reluctant to check the oil :shhh: but other than that I am in love with my car all over again.

To all that provided me with encouragement when I was down, THANK YOU! You do not miss this car until you do not have it to drive, believe me.

CIWS
06-06-06, 11:04 AM
Naaaa Flunk it, don't get happy now. Sell it and buy a Dodge...;)

Glad to hear everything feels good with the car again. Seriously though are you going to watch the oil like a hawk now ?

(I got to drive a base model CTS for 16 days while mine was getting touched up from Katrina and probably drove the body shop crazy asking "IS MY CAR DONE YET? I'M GOING CRAZY DRIVING THIS 2.8 LITRE)"

blown black caddy
06-06-06, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear that. If it makes you feel better my check oil level message came on over the weekend! I swear this thing is driving me crazy! Dealer said if it repeats, don't add any oil just drive it straight to them! :alchi:

ajedwardsjr
06-06-06, 11:26 AM
Had the same issue - my dealer replaced the oil sensor under warranty. No problems since.

blown black caddy
06-06-06, 11:31 AM
Had the same issue - my dealer replaced the oil sensor under warranty. No problems since.

I'm actually loosing oil according to the dipstick!

Kadonny
06-06-06, 11:45 AM
Definately going to watch the oil like a hawk.

And BBC, how much are you losing? Caddy told me one quart every 1500-2000 miles is normal for these cars if running them hard.

mdc
06-06-06, 11:58 AM
I had my moment a few weeks ago too ... hah

I went to Miami with my wife for 5 days to get a little sun and we were given the choice of a PT Cruiser or Chrysler Seibring convertible ... wife wanted a vert so the Seibring (and what felt like 16 hp) it was ...

After a while you kind of got used to how slow it was and kind of went with it ...

I got home on a Friday night and jumped in the car to drive to work (I run a restaurant) and not even trying, I was chirping the tires after every red light ... I couldn't believe the difference and the huge smile on my face (which is rare when driving to work after a flight ... heh) ...

I love this car :D

CIWS
06-06-06, 12:01 PM

And BBC, how much are you losing? Caddy told me one quart every 1500-2000 miles is normal for these cars if running them hard.

I'm running the LS6 and so far it's been using about 1/8 to 1/4 of a quart every 1500 miles. That's been pretty consistant and I just passed 10K.

The Tony Show
06-06-06, 12:10 PM
(I got to drive a base model CTS for 16 days while mine was getting touched up from Katrina and probably drove the body shop crazy asking "IS MY CAR DONE YET? I'M GOING CRAZY DRIVING THIS 2.8 LITRE)"

I had a 2.8L while getting my rear diff replaced. I almost got killed pulling into traffic and trying to "accelerate" (if you can call it that!).

After driving the V for a while, that thing felt like it was in 4th gear taking off from a light.....

blown black caddy
06-06-06, 01:44 PM

That's what I replaced in it after driving on a 100 degree day here last week! Took it up to 6k while shifting and getting on the freeway to go to work. I'm going to keep an eye on it and track the mileage.

ahahnu
06-06-06, 04:03 PM
Hold the phone. No one told me of this issue, the burning oil. I knew it happened, but no that much. I'm going to be more diligent in checking the oil. I change it regularly around 5000. I should check it and add oil if its a little low? As far as the missing it part, I had to give it up for a whole day last week, they gave me an Envoy. Thought I was going to tip over around every corner, and I also missed a turn cause the braking is so bad. Now if I can only get my Kars mounted again. My neighbor is making me wait untill next weekend, said something like he was going away. The nerve.

Kadonny
06-06-06, 04:07 PM
Ahahnu, I think this seems to be more with the LS2s than the LS6s, so I think you are fine.

And yeah, the 2.8 is a real dog. It seemed to me that the car reacted to the accelerator 2 seconds after you pressed it. That plus my loaner had a real bad whine, dont know if it was the rear, but it sang like a cheap hoe.

Davidstan
06-06-06, 05:21 PM
Same here on the oil loss.....dealer says to monitor for the next 5000 and see. He thinks the factory may have underfilled it and we all just didnt notice when we took delivery. BTW, the diff still leaks:bigroll: .

blown black caddy
06-06-06, 08:56 PM
Same here on the oil loss.....dealer says to monitor for the next 5000 and see. He thinks the factory may have underfilled it and we all just didnt notice when we took delivery. BTW, the diff still leaks:bigroll: .

Our cars must have been assembled on the same day because I have the same two problems! :rant2:

Dennisscars
06-06-06, 09:25 PM
It would be interesting to correlate break in technique with oil consumption, I broke mine in like I drive it, and doesn't use any oil even after track events.

Easy break-in glazes the walls and increases the likelyhood of oil consumption. I'm sure there is something around here if I knew how to use the search function.. I claim newbie on the search thingie.

So I call BS on "one quart every 1500-2000 miles is normal for these cars if running them hard." Now I'll back up if "hard" is high revs, engine oil temps go way up with any prolonged time above 5.5k revs.

blown black caddy
06-06-06, 10:11 PM
Dennis,

It's strange due to the fact I've broken in numerous engines both two and four stroke, motorcycle and cars. I varied the load and rpms as I normally do. I know how to break in an engine thank you very much. :tisk: This is the first time I've seen this problem happen on an engine? I think it's in the initial assembly and may be due to the person that assembled the engine at that time! This seems to be a problem with certain owners and certain engines as noted above. You got lucky and got a good build that day. :thumbsup:

PneuBird
06-07-06, 04:54 AM
I'm guessing a bunch of us have different methods of breaking in our engine when it was new. I didn't rev the engine over 3000 RPM's for the first fifty miles and then tried not to rev her over 5000 RPM's for the next 500 miles. I must admit that was tough to do! I just had the oil changed and used about 1/8 of a quart in 3000 miles and that includes a track day. Sorry guys....I'm old school and still a believer in 3000 mile oil changes.....it's cheap insurance in my book! The "V" is going on 28 months old and has 29500 miles on her. and yes; I "Beat the Cubes Daily....It keeps them Happy!!!" :burn:

Kadonny
06-07-06, 07:55 AM
Dennis, as I stated earlier this is a larger problem in the LS2s, the LS6s don't seem to have the same problem.

I will tell you that it seems to be crossing models. I read in my Pontiac mag about some GTOs having the same problem, and I have heard through the grapevine that some of the Vettes have it too.

NIK
06-07-06, 10:28 AM
You scared me - I thought you were going to dump it! Glad you're back on our bandwagon...

By the way, at what point (according to the dipstick) do you add oil? The dipstick doesn't indicate "add 1 qt", etc. How do you know to add oil and how much?

Kadonny
06-07-06, 10:44 AM
You scared me - I thought you were going to dump it! Glad you're back on our bandwagon...

By the way, at what point (according to the dipstick) do you add oil? The dipstick doesn't indicate "add 1 qt", etc. How do you know to add oil and how much?

Nik the dipstick it the same as it has been for years and years. There are 3 lines. First a line, then a solid section with a bunch of x's etched in, then another line then another solid section of etches x's and then the final line. Each etched x section is one quart. The top line is full, the middle line is down one quart and the bottom line is down 2 quarts. At 2 quarts the car puts on the oil light in the dash too so you know when you are really low.

Looks sort of like this: |XXX|XXX|

Dennisscars
06-07-06, 10:04 PM
Dennis,

It's strange due to the fact I've broken in numerous engines both two and four stroke, motorcycle and cars. I varied the load and rpms as I normally do. I know how to break in an engine thank you very much. :tisk: This is the first time I've seen this problem happen on an engine? I think it's in the initial assembly and may be due to the person that assembled the engine at that time! This seems to be a problem with certain owners and certain engines as noted above. You got lucky and got a good build that day. :thumbsup:

no accusations intended, just curious as to correlation break in to oil consumption, seems there is as many break in procedures as a*holes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks theirs doesn't stink.

Dennis, as I stated earlier this is a larger problem in the LS2s, the LS6s don't seem to have the same problem.

I will tell you that it seems to be crossing models. I read in my Pontiac mag about some GTOs having the same problem, and I have heard through the grapevine that some of the Vettes have it too.

copy, guess I was speed reading during that part... seems like some time before the '06's were out there was quite a bit of discussion with the '04 & '05's of people putting in a qt before an event, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast..so I'll go back to making cracks about getting a ride along with Luna..

mostoyzwinz
06-07-06, 11:09 PM
[quote=blown black caddy]Dennis,

...due to the person that assembled the engine...ote]

...or robot/automation. Tolerances or surface finish variation/anomalies are a likely cause.

Kadonny
06-08-06, 08:22 AM
Just checked my oil last night. Down a quart. I am hoping this is just break in since the motor came in a crate and really had no miles at all on it. Could be oil filling up the filter too.

Lets hope.

TampaV
06-08-06, 09:01 AM
With your history with the first engine, I would let the dealer do all oil additions and have them keep records of it. If you add oil, it's your word. If they add it they will be able to see exactly what's happening and not have to rely on what you tell them you had to add. I know it's a bit of a pain to have to go to the dealer for oil additions, but you should make the extra effort. I had oil consumption issues with an 01 Z06 and that's what they did for that case. The Area Vehicle Manager then looked over the records and approved the ring replacement.

Kadonny
06-08-06, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah, for sure Steve. I did not add it, I'm going to run it another few hundred miles and then run it to the dealer to check it.

The thing is I am not even driving the car hard.

blown black caddy
06-08-06, 04:33 PM
Kadonny,

I called the dealer this morning to report a half quart low since adding a quart on Sunday. They stated as has been mentioned above to not add oil and bring it in for documentation! Come on GM, GYFST.Now I see why you're losing profits every quarter!:rant2:

Denniscars,

Sorry man I didn't mean to come back that strong. I'm pissed at the car not you. Besides, who else is going to walk me through the track events? :worship:

ahahnu
06-08-06, 10:24 PM
Nebie on the search thingie... hilarious laughed out loud.

K- thank you for the heads up. I was worried a fellow grays went a man down...

Luna.
06-08-06, 10:42 PM
...so I'll go back to making cracks about getting a ride along with Luna..

LOL...shaddup you...:thepan: