: '06 owners: How does your XM tuner sound?

Imperator
06-06-06, 01:11 AM
The '04 and '05 XM tuners are garbage. Am I asking too much from Delphi, considering their headcount losses, to spend a little more money on the DAC next time? Seriously, my XM sounds like a lossy 64kbps .MP3. I got a phone call from XM today reminding me that the trial period is about to expire. Directed STILL hasn't released the SIR-GM1 yet, so I'm stuck with CDs.

If the '06s or '07s sound normal, I'm taking mine in for a swap-a-roo.

anim8orCTSV
06-06-06, 04:14 AM
I have an '06.

It sucks. I like lossless compression and XM sounds like a medium quality mp3.

-Anim8orCTSV

dmn8
06-06-06, 08:09 AM
I just replaced my O4 V with a new 06. Same low quality for XM. Had the car less than a week and already looking at ways to improve the stereo quality.

P-Funk
06-06-06, 08:54 AM
I have an 06 and it doesn't sound too bad. It's not CD quality but it's not too much worse.

Davidstan
06-06-06, 10:16 AM
Mine seems fine and my 18 yr old who is a connosuier of car music likes the sound

Kadonny
06-06-06, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it is ok at best. You can definately hear the difference between even the regular radio and the XM. However, I can live with it.

Poopie D
06-06-06, 12:41 PM
Coming from an FM modulated SKYFI2...the XM tuner in the V is amazing.

Intellex
06-06-06, 01:39 PM
It's crap.

No improvement from previous gens

James Baldwin
06-06-06, 03:14 PM
when it works at all, it is Ok

kanned
06-06-06, 05:53 PM
Meh... funny that you say it sounds like a 64k MP3... cause well that's basically what it is..

from Wikipedia..

"Audio channels on XM are digitally compressed using the aacPlus codec from Coding Technologies for most channels, and the AMBE codec from Digital Voice Systems for some voice channels. Due to bandwidth restrictions and a large channel load, the maximum bitrate XM broadcast from its satellite per music channel is limited to 64kbit/s."

more @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Satellite_Radio

but back to the question at hand, I have an 06 V.. and yes it still sounds like crap...

WGT31
06-06-06, 07:04 PM
mine sounds fine but i SURE do miss my sirius........

Jschmank
06-06-06, 11:12 PM
There is a significant diminishment of bass and sound quality on my 05 listening to XM compared to the radio. The Bose radio in my wife's Denali is far superior to the CTS. I was very disappointed in the radio quality.

japx
06-07-06, 07:18 AM
Folks:
The XM has very poor quality compared to FM or the CD's in my 06 CTS-V. The good thing is that with this poor sound quality it will be an easy decision NOT to subscribe to XM....

Darryl
06-07-06, 08:25 PM
I can't believe the poor quality of the radio system in my 05 v. My 17 year old son drives 01 Grand Cherokee with a sound system that is awesome- and that's coming from someone who listens to talk radio 90% of the time. I am tired of him making fun of my baby, but I don't want to go through the job of putting in a new amp, new speakers, sound deadener and etc. Is there any thing easy we can do to improve the sound, just enough to enjoy some music?

lasstss
06-07-06, 09:32 PM
Its an issue with the V head unit. My wife has an Equinox and the XM in it is far superior to the V. I dont know what the deal is with the V. Its like Low Fi...Only the CD player sounds good.

I got the radios kit and run the Ipod. They can stuff onstar and the XM. The Ipod rocks in the V..

Imperator
06-07-06, 11:02 PM
Is there any thing easy we can do to improve the sound, just enough to enjoy some music?

Wait for the Sirius/Directed SIR-GM1 Sirius tuner for XM-ready GM vehicles. It's supposed to be compatible with our car and will sell for under $100... who knows when it will be released though; it's been delayed since December.