: New Sts owner question

jcarlar1@charter.net
06-05-06, 08:47 PM
I recently purchased a 2005 Sts v8 and upon driving in cruise control I have noticed that while the engine is under a load it seems fine, but as soon as it crests a hill and while coasting it seems as though there's a drag or the brakes are being tapped. is this something to do with the VVT or is it something I should have looked into. This is my first Caddy and had 5000 miles when purchased. Thanks in advance for any help/advise, John

soldout
06-05-06, 11:06 PM
if it has the adaptive cruise control it may think there is a car in front of you.

Cajonkev
06-06-06, 01:38 AM
Assuming it is not ACC equipped (in which you would probably be expecting the active braking) then you are most likely experiencing the "coast" clutch transmission.

STS/SRX both have a coast clutch (DTS does not and I do not remember on the CTS). It is designed to provide the sensation and somewhat mimic the performance of engine braking ala a manual transmission.

When you lift off the accelerator (with or without cruise set) it helps prevent you from running ahead of your travelling/set speed .

It is there all the time but you notice it most when on a down grade and are off the gas and especially if cruise is set.

justgreat
06-06-06, 07:41 PM
i'll throw my .02 cents in: if the shifter is in the dsc mode rather than the normal gate to the left, then it might be the dsc shift mapping.

jackg
06 sts6 on order (worried sick about a shattered rear window...)

jcarlar1@charter.net
06-07-06, 06:56 AM
Thank you all for your response!!!