: New Sts owner question

06-05-06, 09:47 PM
I recently purchased a 2005 Sts v8 and upon driving in cruise control I have noticed that while the engine is under a load it seems fine, but as soon as it crests a hill and while coasting it seems as though there's a drag or the brakes are being tapped. is this something to do with the VVT or is it something I should have looked into. This is my first Caddy and had 5000 miles when purchased. Thanks in advance for any help/advise, John

06-06-06, 12:06 AM
if it has the adaptive cruise control it may think there is a car in front of you.

06-06-06, 02:38 AM
Assuming it is not ACC equipped (in which you would probably be expecting the active braking) then you are most likely experiencing the "coast" clutch transmission.

STS/SRX both have a coast clutch (DTS does not and I do not remember on the CTS). It is designed to provide the sensation and somewhat mimic the performance of engine braking ala a manual transmission.

When you lift off the accelerator (with or without cruise set) it helps prevent you from running ahead of your travelling/set speed .

It is there all the time but you notice it most when on a down grade and are off the gas and especially if cruise is set.

06-06-06, 08:41 PM
i'll throw my .02 cents in: if the shifter is in the dsc mode rather than the normal gate to the left, then it might be the dsc shift mapping.

06 sts6 on order (worried sick about a shattered rear window...)

06-07-06, 07:56 AM
Thank you all for your response!!!